Stax SR-009 vs. Wilson Audio
Mar 5, 2012 at 1:10 PM Post #61 of 120

Quote:

I own(ed) most of the gear you discuss above and I can tell you that the beyerdynamic headzone is nowhere near the level of the Realizer, also if you get a Woo WES it's preferable to use the balanced XLR over RCA so getting a dedicated DAC would help, I personnaly use a perfectwave DAC.

if i went for the woo audio wes what would be the best dac..i was thinking about this the naim dac? thanks for all the input naims about the best to come out of england not forgeting cambridge audio and arcam.. but i think that's a rap folks!
i heard this dac once with a internet streaming radio and a krell 402e amplifier and martin logan clx art electrostats and they sounded like you had pink floyd around for tea!

Apr 2, 2012 at 12:31 AM Post #62 of 120

Quote:
Thanks for the replies, everyone. Dave hit it on the nose. I wonder whether I will miss the soundstage. I move a lot and I am tired of packing up the speakers and setting them up. After you guys made the switch from speakers to headphones (let's say over a year), do you find yourselves missing the soundstage or other aspects of speaker listening?

I have Sophia 2. I would love to get the R10, but those are difficult to hunt down. I figure since I like Martin Logan's, the Stax would be a terrific substitute.

So, I would love to get people's long-term experience in making the switch. Any nostalgia, etc. It's a personal decision, but since I won't know what I'll be missing until I've made the switch, I want to poll the masses. Your input would be very welcome. Thanks.

I PM'd you.    I went from speakers to headphones for 11 months and then I simply HAD to go back to speakers.  Did I miss soundstage?  There is no such thing as soundstage with headphones.  I mean really?  A soundstage produced from two drivers right on top of your ears or a soundstage produced by drivers set up in a dimensional space and letting the music arrive at your ears from different points in time and space?  You'll miss that soundstage for sure. You'll YEARN for it.  I've had Wilson tiny tots and pupps and Martin Logan CLS II's.  Now I own Gallo Stradas and I'll probably never listen to headphones again (except for TV viewing late at night when the family is sleeping and ONLY if I really realy have to).  

Apr 2, 2012 at 9:01 AM Post #63 of 120

Quote:

I PM'd you.    I went from speakers to headphones for 11 months and then I simply HAD to go back to speakers.  Did I miss soundstage?  There is no such thing as soundstage with headphones.  I mean really?  A soundstage produced from two drivers right on top of your ears or a soundstage produced by drivers set up in a dimensional space and letting the music arrive at your ears from different points in time and space?  You'll miss that soundstage for sure. You'll YEARN for it.  I've had Wilson tiny tots and pupps and Martin Logan CLS II's.  Now I own Gallo Stradas and I'll probably never listen to headphones again (except for TV viewing late at night when the family is sleeping and ONLY if I really realy have to).  

I have got westlake audio tower sm1 speakers and no headphones will ever sound anything like them..the way they sound with two krell evolution ones and a cypher is just beyond words..i use a krell fbi with wilson audios thor's hammer to do the bass and it shakes the building..

Apr 30, 2012 at 12:24 AM Post #64 of 120
I have the Stax 009, Woo WES, and Realizer. It's the best audio system, period. But you need to sample a top reference system. Sorry, but doing a PRIR ith a mid-range system is missing the point, as is using it for gaming. Just get the Realiser with the Stax bundle and save yourself $12,000!

Apr 30, 2012 at 7:00 AM Post #65 of 120

Quote:
I have the Stax 009, Woo WES, and Realizer. It's the best audio system, period. But you need to sample a top reference system. Sorry, but doing a PRIR ith a mid-range system is missing the point, as is using it for gaming. Just get the Realiser with the Stax bundle and save yourself $12,000!

I am going for the realizer a8 with beyerdynamic t1 and a1 now instead, i agree the stax and woo combo is going overboard for gaming..And to the mid-range system i have also got a krell evolution 707 av receiver with bowers and wilkins ct800 custom home theatre speakers that i use with my sim2 projector but i can't see how any headphone amp combo with the realizer a8 could sound anything like them? 

Apr 30, 2012 at 12:11 PM Post #66 of 120
I use my O2s for gaming, they do a great job. :)

Apr 30, 2012 at 9:13 PM Post #67 of 120
"I use my O2s for gaming, they do a great job."
They seem to do a great job on everything audio in my opinion. I don't think I would want to sell my O2's even if I paid the crazy cash to get the 009's because of how versatile the O2's are. I think a big part of it is the wide verity of music I like listening and most is not extremely high quality recordings. With the different levels of volume in treble,bass,age of the recordings I doubt there is better than the O2's yet. I would like to see them do a new model with the same housing and headband design as the O2's.

Apr 30, 2012 at 10:32 PM Post #68 of 120
I've never before heard a more enjoyable yet detailed set of headphones. They still amaze me every time I put them on. For sheer musicality, I'd rather have them than the 009s, or any other cans I've ever tried/owned.

May 2, 2012 at 11:40 AM Post #71 of 120
I just ordered the SRM-009 last week and I am curious to find out if anyone is or has been using them with the Stax-323! I am assuming that they will perform better than my SRM-007, since it seems that they required less power. Thanks. 

May 2, 2012 at 11:47 AM Post #72 of 120
Quote:
I just ordered the SRM-009 last week and I am curious to find out if anyone is or has used them with the Stax-323! I am assuming that they will perform better than my SRM-007, since it seems that they required less power. Thanks. 

I think you will find the 007t to be very sympatico with your new headphones.  

May 14, 2012 at 1:38 PM Post #74 of 120
Quote:

I am going for the realizer a8 with beyerdynamic t1 and a1 now instead, i agree the stax and woo combo is going overboard for gaming..And to the mid-range system i have also got a krell evolution 707 av receiver with bowers and wilkins ct800 custom home theatre speakers that i use with my sim2 projector but i can't see how any headphone amp combo with the realizer a8 could sound anything like them? 

You'll be blown away by how the Realiser will duplicate your speaker sound.  I got my emulation done in a $100K+ multi-channel room and neither me nor the owner could believe that the speakers were off when we did the A to B comparison.

May 14, 2012 at 1:54 PM Post #75 of 120
Quote:

You'll be blown away by how the Realiser will duplicate your speaker sound.  I got my emulation done in a $100K+ multi-channel room and neither me nor the owner could believe that the speakers were off when we did the A to B comparison.

I have changed my mind now and are getting the t1's with the headzone game but could be swayed if the a8 realizer is really that good, it's just the fact that i would need another headphone amp to go with a8 and beyers that put me off but any advice would be welcome!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back