Stax SR-009 vs. Wilson Audio
May 14, 2012 at 7:21 PM Post #76 of 120
Quote:
I have changed my mind now and are getting the t1's with the headzone game but could be swayed if the a8 realizer is really that good, it's just the fact that i would need another headphone amp to go with a8 and beyers that put me off but any advice would be welcome!

I would drop Lorr Kramer an email about the need for a separate headphone amp if you went with the T1.  Lorr was just here in Central IL and I learned the A8 has a headphone amplifier in it as I had taken my SR-71B for auditioning their system.  Here is his email:   "lorr@smyth-research.com" but you'll will need to remove the quotes.

May 15, 2012 at 8:22 AM Post #78 of 120
Quote:
The Beyer thing will never be able to perform near the level of the Realiser, you should really just save up and get a used one.

It's not the money it's just having a desk full up with gear that's putting me off, but i might get the woo wa6 with the a8 it's not that big, if the realizer is a massive step up from the beyer that is?

May 15, 2012 at 11:38 AM Post #80 of 120
Quality control on the T1 seems to be all over the place.  I've seen driver matching on a few of those that rivals Playskool headphones.  You'd be better off with the stock Stax headphone and amp that you can get bundled with the Realiser.  Dimensions should be on their website, it's not that big.

May 15, 2012 at 11:47 AM Post #81 of 120
Quote:
Quality control on the T1 seems to be all over the place.  I've seen driver matching on a few of those that rivals Playskool headphones.  You'd be better off with the stock Stax headphone and amp that you can get bundled with the Realiser.  Dimensions should be on their website, it's not that big.

I don't like the look of the headphones they look like something from doctor who but i know they are supposed to sound good...I will be getting my t1s from woo audio with the woo wa6 you get a woo audio headphone stand thrown in, i agree i have heard that some are bass light and some bass heavy?

May 15, 2012 at 11:55 AM Post #82 of 120
I owned the T-1's and would recommend the LCD2's/3's over those.  They just killed the T-1's in every way.  I also would go with a different amp.  Especially since you are spending $$ on the Smyth.  SillySally here has the Smyth and has moved from a Woo WA5LE maxxed to a Liquid Fire(what I own as well-incredible) to a Stax 009 setup.  I believe Smyth has a whole thread on the Smyth so I'd check w/those guys for sure.

May 15, 2012 at 12:01 PM Post #83 of 120
Quote:
I owned the T-1's and would recommend the LCD2's/3's over those.  They just killed the T-1's in every way.  I also would go with a different amp.  Especially since you are spending $$ on the Smyth.  SillySally here has the Smyth and has moved from a Woo WA5LE maxxed to a Liquid Fire(what I own as well-incredible) to a Stax 009 setup.  I believe Smyth has a whole thread on the Smyth so I'd check w/those guys for sure.

The best set up would be the realizer a8 with woo audio wes and stax 009 but it's just too big for my desk that's why i thought about the t1s with the headzone game but i could always put my monitor on the wall?

May 15, 2012 at 12:02 PM Post #84 of 120
I don't like the look of the headphones they look like something from doctor who but i know they are supposed to sound good...I will be getting my t1s from woo audio with the woo wa6 you get a woo audio headphone stand thrown in, i agree i have heard that some are bass light and some bass heavy?

by bad quality control he meant the drivers for left and right are not matched well meaning it can sound either like ass or very weird. also if you're talking about the lambda series not looking good...what are you talking about?! they're sexy as hell. everytime i grab the sr-202's i have around here i get strange tingly feelings. they're sooo boss yo.

May 15, 2012 at 12:10 PM Post #85 of 120
Quote:
by bad quality control he meant the drivers for left and right are not matched well meaning it can sound either like ass or very weird. also if you're talking about the lambda series not looking good...what are you talking about?! they're sexy as hell. everytime i grab the sr-202's i have around here i get strange tingly feelings. they're sooo boss yo.

So the realizer comes with these?I agree.. I still don't like the brown ones though and if they are black i think they should do it,so if i am right i will be getting the srs-2170 bundled with the realizer a8 p.s What are these headphones like when you have had them on for long periods of time?

May 15, 2012 at 1:03 PM Post #86 of 120
yea the sr-202 are all black ones. for long periods they're are actually very comfy given the weird dead space like rectangular shape of the frame(i call them dead space phones cause seem like something issac would rock while doing his thing). i can actually wear the sr-202's all day if i wanted to. very light as well.

May 15, 2012 at 1:11 PM Post #87 of 120
Quote:
yea the sr-202 are all black ones. for long periods they're are actually very comfy given the weird dead space like rectangular shape of the frame(i call them dead space phones cause seem like something issac would rock while doing his thing). i can actually wear the sr-202's all day if i wanted to. very light as well.

I think it's this one they come with and they are the sr-207's not sr-202's but could be wrong?

STAX SRS-2170 Basic Electrostatic System (SR-207/SRM-252S) [HH00525]

pixel_trans.gif
  1. STAX SRS-2170 Basic System with Open Back Earspeaker SR-207 & SRM-252S Solid State Driver Unit
  2. Headphone Exclusive for Basic System Utilises the Same Sound Element as Premium Models
  3. Special Cables Reduce Capacity between Lines and Diminish Signal Loss
  4. Non-Magnetic Audiophile Grade Transistors in Main Circuit
  5. Class-A DC Amplifier Circuit Configuration Capacitors Eliminates Signal Coupling

May 15, 2012 at 1:15 PM Post #88 of 120
Cavalli Audio does have a Stat amp coming out that is a one box SS amp.  If you are serious about Stat amp I'd wait to see what that is like for certain.

May 15, 2012 at 1:31 PM Post #89 of 120
I think it's this one they come with and they are the sr-207's not sr-202's but could be wrong?

i think the sr-207 is one of the same as the sr-202's. just an updated version.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back