Stax SR-009 Channel Imbalance Trouble / Driver Problem?
Jan 9, 2012 at 11:01 AM Post #151 of 928
Do you think it would make sense to wait until summer to order them, since it seems that abrupt changes in temperature could be what damages the 009?

PS. Now that people talk about imbalance, I am starting to worry about my pair of 007: it seems that the right side is not as loud as the left one! The music always seems to be staged more on the left side! Nothing too obvious, of course, but still a little worrisome..

Karlgerman, the best of luck with your phones (this is very annoying to say the least).

Jan 31, 2012 at 2:25 PM Post #152 of 928

Quote:
In the meantime, get yourself a pair of high quality NOS tubes (e.g. mid/late 50's RCA clear tops).   Modest cost and money well spent.

the sr-009 still sounds great and still has the imbalance driver problem. the louder i hear music, the more imbalance occurs. next week
i send it back to stax. but when my 009 comes home after fixing-- there might be a BLUE HAWAII SE waiting for him!

Mar 17, 2012 at 10:50 PM Post #155 of 928
I think this may have only applied to the VERY first few that were produced - I have heard 4 pairs of 009s, and none have had any imbalance issues

Quote:
Any more updates to this? Has anyone else had more problems and has everything been fixed in the latest batch?

I'm finally looking to take the plunge and this thread has me a bit worried...

Mar 18, 2012 at 4:12 AM Post #156 of 928
Mine got the flu last May, after two months. Sent it back to Japan, had it returned in no time, and it's been perfect since then.

Mar 29, 2012 at 12:15 PM Post #157 of 928
[size=small]Unbelievable, about a week after it was sent in for repair[/size]

[size=small]my 009 is back home again.[/size]

-------- there was nothing to repair????
maybe the little trip worked well for the stax.
maybe vibrations during transportation could have solved the problem of imbalance.
after 2 hours of testing everything seems to be ok.
 still unbelievable!
but i am really, really happy now.

greez
karl

Mar 29, 2012 at 9:30 PM Post #158 of 928

Quote:
[size=small]Unbelievable, about a week after it was sent in for repair[/size]

[size=small]my 009 is back home again.[/size]

-------- there was nothing to repair????
maybe the little trip worked well for the stax.
maybe vibrations during transportation could have solved the problem of imbalance.
after 2 hours of testing everything seems to be ok.
 still unbelievable!
but i am really, really happy now.

greez
karl

That...kinda sucks actually, instead of Stax having a definitive answer and mechanical fix to the issue, it's still something completely in the dark that could potentially show up again.

Did Stax explicitly state that there was nothing wrong? Did they at least disassemble/reassemble them (which could have been the fix)?

Mar 30, 2012 at 8:50 AM Post #159 of 928
they handed me a report document about what was done on the 009.
just testing  -no disassemble.
they will get another chance, because after 5 hours of testing the problem with my right driver problem went back.

next time there should be a more serious check.
the headphone seriously was ok when i received it yesterday.
maybe temperaturechanges or humidity has an affect on the driver.

my dealer will get the whole amp-dac ....equipment, including my omega2, to do some measuring in front of
sending in for final fix to the stax sevicepoint in germany.

if they do it as quickly as last time it will not be that hard fore me.

Mar 31, 2012 at 1:10 PM Post #161 of 928
Stat's developing channel imbalance out of literally thin air is a well known issue and the imbalance will also disappear as quickly.  It is common practice for Stax to replace the drivers when this happens but that's just because we have no good way of getting rid of the imbalance short of manually discharging the diaphragm by passing a grounded conductor over its entire surface area.  If both earpieces were perfectly balanced then they naturally did not replace the drivers. 

As for why this happens is still debated but this phenomenon has been known since the 1940's, long before we had electrostatic transducers for audio. 

Apr 9, 2012 at 5:08 PM Post #162 of 928
Although I've had the SR-009's since January, I got to hear them for the first time today with the help of headfier IanG which I'd like to thank him for. Ian lives about two miles away so I went through to his place where we both listened to his SR-007's and my SR-009's via his audio equipment. He has two Stax amps which are SRM717's and SRM007t's and out of the two with both headphones, myself and Ian preferred the SRM717's. Out of the two headphones the SR-009's were much more detailed. The main reason why I went to Ian's place was to find out if there were any problems with my SR-009's which I'm pleased to say there weren't, I have to say though I'm very much looking forward to hearing the SR-009's with my K-01 and the BHSE I have on order.

Apr 9, 2012 at 7:18 PM Post #163 of 928

Quote:
Although I've had the SR-009's since January, I got to hear them for the first time today with the help of headfier IanG which I'd like to thank him for. Ian lives about two miles away so I went through to his place where we both listened to his SR-007's and my SR-009's via his audio equipment. He has two Stax amps which are SRM717's and SRM007t's and out of the two with both headphones, myself and Ian preferred the SRM717's. Out of the two headphones the SR-009's were much more detailed. The main reason why I went to Ian's place was to find out if there were any problems with my SR-009's which I'm pleased to say there weren't, I have to say though I'm very much looking forward to hearing the SR-009's with my K-01 and the BHSE I have on order.

Yes it was great to hear David's SR-009s and find they were faultless! Moreover, using my normal SRM-007t displayed a comparatively muffled and bass-heavy sound with the SR-007 which was much improved in clarity and frequency balance with the SR-009s. My SRM-717, unused for over a year, had been warming up and was substituted for the SRM-007t. The sound was materially improved with the SR-007s and whilst, in my opinion, the scale of improvement was not as great with the SR-009s (because there was less to improve!), those headphones still gave a sound which was quite a bit better than that of the SR-007s, with great clarity, air and frequency balance.

The SR-009s are comfortable too and I am tempted to buy them!

Apr 9, 2012 at 7:47 PM Post #164 of 928

Quote:
Yes it was great to hear David's SR-009s and find they were faultless! Moreover, using my normal SRM-007t displayed a comparatively muffled and bass-heavy sound with the SR-007 which was much improved in clarity and frequency balance with the SR-009s. My SRM-717, unused for over a year, had been warming up and was substituted for the SRM-007t. The sound was materially improved with the SR-007s and whilst, in my opinion, the scale of improvement was not as great with the SR-009s (because there was less to improve!), those headphones still gave a sound which was quite a bit better than that of the SR-007s, with great clarity, air and frequency balance.

The SR-009s are comfortable too and I am tempted to buy them!

The SR009's are remarkably "un-picky" and did indeed sound good with everything in my listening sessions.  The SR-007's Mk2's, on the other hand, are significantly more demanding.  I think I would have no problem living with the 009's and take my time getting an optimum amp to pair them with, vs going with the 007's and ponying up for an amp upgrade right now.  I do know one thing now... Lambdas are no longer an option for me.  I have been ruined.

Apr 9, 2012 at 8:01 PM Post #165 of 928
The good news too is that it's only going to get better as far as commercial amp choices for the 009, I am thinking Eddie Current and Cavalli Audio. Plus, who knows, maybe Justin will go ahead with a commercial KGSSHV at some point. In any case, I feel in no rush to upgrade my current amp as far as how the 009 sound (the fact none of the offerings are readily available in Japan certainly influences a great deal though). It's that satisfying (I agree that the bass does not sound in the least deficient with the Stax amps, the same cannot be said when they're driving the 007mk2).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back