Stax SR-009 Channel Imbalance Trouble / Driver Problem?
Jun 20, 2011 at 4:07 AM Post #107 of 928
I have always found it interesting that so much speculation is always taking place on Head-Fi regarding manufacturers and products that have had issues.   Certainly Stax knows about this thread and they know we are their clients.   Why do they leave us guessing like this?  Why don't they get on this thread and issue one post explaining what the problem is, if and when it will be fixed, and restore our confidence.

I know Stax does not have time to answer every single question we have or to get involved in Head-Fi on a daily basis.  But as a common courtesy- to issue one post to let us- their customers know what is going on would in my opinion be very appropriate.  Especially in light of the fact that the distributerrs seem to be at least partially in the dark as well and cannot inform us properly.

By the way, I have the same problem with many other amp. and headphone manufacturers who duck and hide; some from technical problems, and some from severe customer service issues.  We all know of many of them.

Please- manufacturers- behave like mature adults and instead of keping us going in circles- speak up.  We want to continue to be your customers.  Please treat us well.

Jun 20, 2011 at 4:14 AM Post #109 of 928
Even if Stax does not read head-fi- they know we are their customers and I believe they should issue a statement in some form to the public- even on their website would be fine.

Jun 22, 2011 at 6:13 PM Post #112 of 928
If the diaphragm sticks on a stator, like Currawongs experience with this kind of problem indicates,
this could be a result of the new multilayer stators, which "have been completed through the unification of metal plates"
(like Stax write in their SR009 brochure). When they use different metals, this could set loads free which attracts the membrane.
Seems that there are no problems with the new Lambda series (which also have the new SEP membrane, but no multilayer electrodes).

Jun 22, 2011 at 6:51 PM Post #113 of 928
That would explain the "microscopic dust" or whatever it was Stax said, if it was between the layers causing them to break apart with use.

Jun 23, 2011 at 6:55 AM Post #116 of 928
Regards to you, Wachara! Sry for my unawareness .
Tenson, hmm...
So, a diaphragm under normal tension/biased can't reach/stick to the electrodes ?
Seems, the SR009 hasn't got a vent like the SR007.
Is it possible that the diaphragm bounces a stator when setting the headphone on
(with or without bias voltage) or by (transport) rattles ?

Jun 23, 2011 at 7:13 AM Post #117 of 928
It would, I think, been pretty visually obvious if there had been a categorical physical failure of the diaphragm. I'd forgotten that the new one is multi-layer. I presume that not all the layers are electrically charged.

Jun 23, 2011 at 7:50 AM Post #118 of 928
I have read from people who have listened to SR009 that the phones are more sensitive than SR007.  As for the physical dimensions, I think SR007 and SR009 are almost identical.  In order to get higher sensitivity, you can either reduce the spacer thickness or increase the bias voltage.  Since the bias voltage of both SR007 and SR009 are the same, I am very sure that the spacer thickness of SR009 is less than that of SR007.  For the diaphragm to be stable when applying the bias voltage, the tension of the diaphragm must be high enough.  The thinner the spacer, the higher tension is needed.  Just imagine that with a spacer thickness of only 0.5 mm (my guess), even if some little things go wrong, the diaphragm could very well touch one side of the stators.

Here are what could happen if the tension isn't enough:

1. When you put the headphones on and you try to push the phones against your ear, the air pressure inside the cup would push the diaphragm toward the other side.  If the tension isn't enough, as soon as the diaphragm touches the stator, the stator would suck the diaphragm and and wouldn't let go.  You can still hear music, but the sound would be distorted.

2. When you play music to a very loud level, especially music with a lot of bass, the diaphragm might occasionally hit the stator and the stator just sucks up the diaphragm.  Again, you can still hear the music, but it will be distorted.

In either case, if the loosening isn't too much, as soon as you unplug the phones, the diaphragm would go back to its original position.  However, if the diaphragm is really loose, it will just stick to the stator and the only way you can take them apart is to disassemble them.

Of course, if the stators are not straight and flat, that could be a problem too.  But, I don't think that is the case.

Anyway, these problems might not be related to what SR009 is having at all.  I'm just sharing my thoughts and experiences.

Wachaar C.

Jun 23, 2011 at 9:23 AM Post #119 of 928

Quote:
I have read from people who have listened to SR009 that the phones are more sensitive than SR007.  As for the physical dimensions, I think SR007 and SR009 are almost identical.  In order to get higher sensitivity, you can either reduce the spacer thickness or increase the bias voltage.  Since the bias voltage of both SR007 and SR009 are the same, I am very sure that the spacer thickness of SR009 is less than that of SR007.  For the diaphragm to be stable when applying the bias voltage, the tension of the diaphragm must be high enough.  The thinner the spacer, the higher tension is needed.  Just imagine that with a spacer thickness of only 0.5 mm (my guess), even if some little things go wrong, the diaphragm could very well touch one side of the stators.

Here are what could happen if the tension isn't enough:

1. When you put the headphones on and you try to push the phones against your ear, the air pressure inside the cup would push the diaphragm toward the other side.  If the tension isn't enough, as soon as the diaphragm touches the stator, the stator would suck the diaphragm and and wouldn't let go.  You can still hear music, but the sound would be distorted.

2. When you play music to a very loud level, especially music with a lot of bass, the diaphragm might occasionally hit the stator and the stator just sucks up the diaphragm.  Again, you can still hear the music, but it will be distorted.

In either case, if the loosening isn't too much, as soon as you unplug the phones, the diaphragm would go back to its original position.  However, if the diaphragm is really loose, it will just stick to the stator and the only way you can take them apart is to disassemble them.

Of course, if the stators are not straight and flat, that could be a problem too.  But, I don't think that is the case.

Anyway, these problems might not be related to what SR009 is having at all.  I'm just sharing my thoughts and experiences.

Wachaar C.

I had the exact same thoughts but wouldn't you expect the diaphragm to get back to default position as soon as the stator it is stuck too changes polarity (i.e. push mode)? If not an ES force, what is making it adhere so well to the stator that only applying a large pressurization to the chamber makes it go back to default position?

Jun 23, 2011 at 9:33 AM Post #120 of 928

Quote:
I had the exact same thoughts but wouldn't you expect the diaphragm to get back to default position as soon as the stator it is stuck too changes polarity (i.e. push mode)? If not an ES force, what is making it adhere so well to the stator that only applying a large pressurization to the chamber makes it go back to default position?

For some reasons that I also don't understand, that isn't the case.  The diaphragm would normally sticks to the stator and wouldn't go back to its default position. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back