Stax SR-009 Channel Imbalance Trouble / Driver Problem?
Jan 21, 2015 at 10:23 AM Post #661 of 928
   Three plus years of complaints in this forum.  Sure sounds like a manufacturing/design defect to me.

As I said in my post, if you look at the incidences of imbalance, there are AFAICS less than 10. And the ones that caused the most agro and thus hand on this thread are from PJ with the after sales issues of sending them back to Japan or not getting an effective repair. Also the fault appears from posts that it becomes apparent a few weeks in, so users with 009s beyond that should be fine. Remember, there are many users of the 009s that hammer them everyday of the week, and no issues reported.

I don't think anyone (inc Stax) managed to work out the cause in the small number of cases reported. It could be air pressure and / or transportation reasons. I would say to anyone thinking of buying the 009s, get them, but buy from your countries dealer network. 

On the imbalance thing, there used to be a small number of cases when the 507s came out, but it seemed to sort itself out and AFAIK there were no more reported cases.

Jan 21, 2015 at 11:35 AM Post #662 of 928
Although I ordered the SR-003mk2 from PriceJapan a few days ago, I actually ordered one in December from a UK Dealer, but after I placed that order I got an email saying they didn't have it in stock and it would probably be the middle of January before they'd have it.
When it got to the middle of January I got in touch with the dealer and they said it would now be around the middle of February. It was then I decided to cancel that order and order it from PJ.

Jan 21, 2015 at 4:39 PM Post #663 of 928
Actually I hear not a few of complaints from the Chinese forums as well. The problem is not overstated. I understand that most of the manufactures make mistake, but it is really a problem of probability. After all, I am also a stax fan.

Jun 16, 2015 at 5:28 PM Post #664 of 928
All,
FYI;

My newish (purchased from PriceJapan last October) have now a huge imbalance with no music coming out of the RHS earspeaker and the LHS distorted sound at 50% plus volumes especially with deep bass music. 

Note that the RHS has always been an issue with them in the not too distant past (see my other postings on this thread)

I sent an email to PriceJapan on Monday telling them of the problem and asking them the person and address to ship them to. 

The reply is as follows;

"Please note following;

1. Stax recommends customer to use Stax headphone directly to Stax amplifier, not via pre-amplifier etc...

2. Similar cases (imbalance issues ) happened so many times as your case, but Stax seldom finds problems from them.
Most of customers wasted round shipping cost and their previous time for sending their Stax headphone to Japan.

3. We recommend you to test your SR-009 to another Stax amplifier. 
  If you experience the same problem from SR-000 connected to another Stax amplifier , Stax Japan should find your problem easily.

4.  If you experience the same problem from SR-000 connected to another Stax amplifier, please send email to us.  
  Then, we will give you detailed shipping instruction. "

This sounds like 009's and other Stax headphones should only be connected to Stax Amps and no others or problems may be encountered.

Whats your thoughts on this members ? 

Jun 16, 2015 at 5:42 PM Post #665 of 928

This sounds like 009's and other Stax headphones should only be connected to Stax Amps and no others or problems may be encountered.

Sorry you're having such major issues with your 009. PJ's response here is simply a "bonehead-filter" script, e.g. "Did you check that your PC is plugged in to a working outlet, sir?". And crudely translated, at that. Not really revelatory. I.e. don't hook up a preamp before your stat amp because it may have an imbalance itself or a balance knob that's out of whack, etc.

They'd just strongly prefer that you had a 2nd 'stat amp to test with -- i.e. you should bear some of the initial diagnosis/vetting burden since the shipping is overseas, and a hassle for all involved (dem dere gray market goods). It's reasonable, though obviously most people don't own multiple 'stat amps -- in that case see if you can borrow one in your area, in order to rule out the amp failure variable.

Jun 16, 2015 at 5:43 PM Post #666 of 928

Never heard of this, I guess he is asking to verify if this is one of the typical sporadic imbalance issue or a damaged driver from improper amplification. By that I don't mean the KGST is improper but, for example, one can fry a stat phone by using an energiser and high power amplifier.

I would try indeed to confirm the severe unbalance on another amp but, just to confirm the amp is fine (there was a case in this thread where the guy sent the 009 twice to then find out the amp was defective...). You have one year warranty on this, I would exercise it.

cheers,
arnaud

Jun 16, 2015 at 6:42 PM Post #667 of 928
All,
FYI;

My newish (purchased from PriceJapan last October) have now a huge imbalance with no music coming out of the RHS earspeaker and the LHS distorted sound at 50% plus volumes especially with deep bass music. 

Note that the RHS has always been an issue with them in the not too distant past (see my other postings on this thread)

I sent an email to PriceJapan on Monday telling them of the problem and asking them the person and address to ship them to. 

The reply is as follows;

"Please note following;

1. Stax recommends customer to use Stax headphone directly to Stax amplifier, not via pre-amplifier etc...

2. Similar cases (imbalance issues ) happened so many times as your case, but Stax seldom finds problems from them.
Most of customers wasted round shipping cost and their previous time for sending their Stax headphone to Japan.

3. We recommend you to test your SR-009 to another Stax amplifier. 
  If you experience the same problem from SR-000 connected to another Stax amplifier , Stax Japan should find your problem easily.

4.  If you experience the same problem from SR-000 connected to another Stax amplifier, please send email to us.  
  Then, we will give you detailed shipping instruction. "

This doesn't sound like the imbalance that some folks complain of that ends up resolving on its own. Unfortunately, it sounds like you need another stat amp to check. I am assuming you swapped the inputs to see if the symptoms switched as well. If your amp uses tubes, have you swapped them as well? If you have a dmm and are familiar with the process of checking bias, balance and offset that might tell you something (though good readings wouldn't rule out the amp).

Jun 16, 2015 at 6:55 PM Post #669 of 928
@ Bonesy Jonesy,

I got my 009's from PJ in 2011 and I've never had one problem with them even though I've hardly used them with Stax amps.
If you can get to my place Mark, you're welcome to try your 009's with my BHSE, then you'll hear if the problem is with your 009's, and if they sound OK then your amp or possibly your interconnects could be the problem.

Jun 16, 2015 at 8:50 PM Post #670 of 928
This doesn't sound like the imbalance that some folks complain of that ends up resolving on its own. Unfortunately, it sounds like you need another stat amp to check. I am assuming you swapped the inputs to see if the symptoms switched as well. If your amp uses tubes, have you swapped them as well? If you have a dmm and are familiar with the process of checking bias, balance and offset that might tell you something (though good readings wouldn't rule out the amp).

Exactly...sounds like something altogether different. Swapping tubes L to R as George mentioned would be my first plan of action.

Jun 17, 2015 at 3:47 PM Post #671 of 928
@ Bonesy Jonesy,

I got my 009's from PJ in 2011 and I've never had one problem with them even though I've hardly used them with Stax amps.
If you can get to my place Mark, you're welcome to try your 009's with my BHSE, then you'll hear if the problem is with your 009's, and if they sound OK then your amp or possibly your interconnects could be the problem.

Thank you David.  Most kind.  

I am away this weekend.   Might come up to your's next weekend or following weekend though.  

Jun 17, 2015 at 3:56 PM Post #672 of 928
Hi All,
Thank you for your suggestions.  Much appreciated.   It's what makes this world wide forum so great. 

Myself and HeadinClouds tested my 009's with my KGST and HeadinClouds KGST with swapping the LHS & RHS inputs on the amp around using different sources (my Blu & QBD76 DAC and HeadinClouds fantastic Arcam DAC) and interconnect cables and comparing with HeadinClouds great 007's MkI and MkII and his fabulous Lambda 507's (was amazed by the performance of these headphones).   

From all these tests and comparisons it definitely looks like my 009's have a problem and my KGST is fine as HeadinClouds headphones sound great and amazing through my KGST and HeadinClouds KGST.  

Would be good to try other amps particularly a Stax amp as this is the test PriceJapan wants me to do just in case although I am 99% sure it's my 009's.  

Jun 17, 2015 at 3:58 PM Post #673 of 928

Thank you David.  Most kind.  

I am away this weekend.   Might come up to your's next weekend or following weekend though.  

Would be good to catch up if nothing else and bring up my KGST and Blu CD Transporter & QBD76 DAC (for the following weekend not next weekend). 

Jun 17, 2015 at 3:59 PM Post #674 of 928
  Hi All,
Thank you for your suggestions.  Much appreciated.   It's what makes this world wide forum so great. 

Myself and HeadinClouds tested my 009's with my KGST and HeadinClouds KGST with swapping the LHS & RHS inputs on the amp around using different sources (my Blu & QBD76 DAC and HeadinClouds fantastic Arcam DAC) and interconnect cables and comparing with HeadinClouds great 007's MkI and MkII and his fabulous Lambda 507's (was amazed by the performance of these headphones).   

From all these tests and comparisons it definitely looks like my 009's have a problem and my KGST is fine as HeadinClouds headphones sound great and amazing through my KGST and HeadinClouds KGST.  

Would be good to try other amps particularly a Stax amp as this is the test PriceJapan wants me to do just in case although I am 99% sure it's my 009's.  

Forgot to mention that I also had the same problem with my 009's with my Chord Symphonic balanced phono stage linked to my Origin Live Turntable. 

Jun 17, 2015 at 4:07 PM Post #675 of 928

Forgot to mention that I also had the same problem with my 009's with my Chord Symphonic balanced phono stage linked to my Origin Live Turntable. 

Hey Bonesy. Sorry to hear this. I've been through all this with my pair of 009s after driver failure. I got the same questionnaire from PJ... They do seem to get a significant number of 009s retuned with problems, so they have this process in place. It doesn't help that Stax never seemingly admits there was any fault and PJ/dealers are caught in the middle. My headphones were returned with advice from Stax: drivers changed, no channel imbalance found. Despite the recorded evidence. Just go with the process, say yes to everything, I always used Stax amp, Yes, Next, more proof needed here you go etc. Can be a bit tedious but they will eventually relent and accept your return, if they didn't already.

Eventually they will give you instructions to return the headphones and then the wait begins. Because my 009s had problems around the same time they were backordered massively, I did wait for a number of months to get them back. Things should be moving more swiftly now hopefully. After return from Stax/PJ - I never had any problems thereafter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back