Stax SR-009: Best Headphone Ever Made? - Head-Fi TV, Episode 008
Jun 30, 2011 at 2:34 AM Post #76 of 423
Nice review Jude  but I must know what sources, cables, tweaks, you have use for this review. I think that's important to mention in your review.

Jun 30, 2011 at 2:45 AM Post #77 of 423

Quote:
No matter how great the sound is, the difference wouldn't justify $10,000 regardless of savings+current salary.
I don't think I am in deep enough like you guys to appreciate the best headphones lol
Nevertheless, great episode keep them coming, they are fun to watch

GomdoRi Y U STEAL MY AVATAR?

Jun 30, 2011 at 5:59 AM Post #78 of 423
I heard the Sennheiser released the Orephous to prove that they are better than Stax, guess it's on now again between the two! lol

Jun 30, 2011 at 9:51 AM Post #80 of 423

Quote:

And I need to say, the feeling of the instrument playing/person singing for you/exactly infront of you, is something a headphone can not (yet*) achieve (i suppose).

Of course, it is possible that I am completely wrong, in that case I am really sorry for writing nonsense.

*for people who want to stay optimistic.

except in binaural recordings which, imo, are the closest thing to "being there". 

at least, much more than any speaker systems I've heard

Jun 30, 2011 at 11:48 AM Post #81 of 423

Quote:
I would LOVE to hear the SR-009 myself. I found the SR-007 slightly too dark for my likings, if SR-009 is brighter and better, I am sure to rob a bank or something...
tongue.gif

Ok. Count me in also.
Audiogon, here'smy LCD2.....

Jun 30, 2011 at 11:54 AM Post #82 of 423
Just a note to state what this guy from HK thought about his SR-009 Vs LCD2.
http://www.review33.com/2ndhand/index.php?topic=28110507224151&page=1

Incidently the unit w/SRM007tII amplifier sold for USD 5600

Jun 30, 2011 at 4:41 PM Post #84 of 423
Heya,

Looks awesome. I'm actually put off by the leather cups though, I'd want cloth of some type. Sweaty headphone cups are something I can't deal with, and at $10,000, I won't be having sweaty headphone cups! Haha. Decent review, heard a lot of "detail detail detail". Would have liked to have heard more information on what kind of detail it revealed, like background noise from the artist or instrument noises that are not music but rather operational noise or what. Even if it's just breathing or something. I'm curious what detail emerged, or if it was just music releated.

Granted, it depends on the recording of course, but that's why I'm curious (not that you'll find odd stuff like that in an electronic music type, but in a recording with live arists, sure, makes me think of Pawnshop Jazz and Keith Jarret, Koln Concert--check that out in the Stax if you have 'em and let me know how detailed that is!).

Very best,

Jun 30, 2011 at 5:44 PM Post #85 of 423
I was just wondering.  With all that "detail" you speak of, can that make your ears fatigue rather quickly.  I noticed that with any device weather it be speaker or headphone.  If i listen to music that has a lot of different sounds going on at once my ears start to hurt and it's not because i play the music to loudly.  Could all that detail amplify that effect.  I rather enjoy some hip hop over some of my more favored music because its easier on the ears.

Jun 30, 2011 at 10:43 PM Post #86 of 423

Quote:
Just a note to state what this guy from HK thought about his SR-009 Vs LCD2.
http://www.review33.com/2ndhand/index.php?topic=28110507224151&page=1

Incidently the unit w/SRM007tII amplifier sold for USD 5600

Can someone translate? Also curious to know about a LCD2 vs SR-009 comparison.

Jul 1, 2011 at 12:33 AM Post #87 of 423

Quote:
Can someone translate? Also curious to know about a LCD2 vs SR-009 comparison.

The implication of the post was that this gent sold his SR-009 and kept his LCD-2. So I am keen to hear the 009 before I remotely think about tossing off my LCD-2.

Jul 2, 2011 at 8:54 AM Post #90 of 423
I totally agree with some of you that the price point of SR-009 rig makes it really unattractive when you compare to what you can get in terms of an amazing sounding speaker system, acoustic treatment, and room correction system by spending the same amount. The difference is just dramatic between what a headphone is capable of and what a speaker system is capable of.

No flagship headphone system can ever compete with even mid-range speaker systems, and the only reason why you should consider such an expensive headphone system is if you simply do not have the room for a speaker system, or that your living environment does not allow you to play speakers at optimal volume. A good speaker system will be much more dimensional, visceral, and "magical" in the way it immerses you in the music. There really is no comparison at all.

Personally, I highly doubt the SR-009 is so much better than the SR-007 or the LCD-2 that the price difference is justified. What we're talking about here is ludicrous diminishing returns at the level where only those who have high disposable income should even bother considering it.

The truth of the matter is, in the grand scheme of things, you are already 75% there in terms of sound quality when you buy low to mid-range headphones in the $150-$500 range. When you go up to the high end of $1k or more, you will be around 80%-90% there. Certain high-end models can even get you 95% of the way there, and you're still only spending a fraction of what the SR-009 rig would cost. Today's mid to high end headphones are so damn good that in order to surpass them significantly, you'd have to design/build something that's so ridiculously expensive that only those who literally have money to burn would consider the upgrade, because you'll be spending 4 to 5 times the amount just to get that extra 5% to10% increase in quality.

Also, consider how important headphone listening is to you. If your living environment allows for a speaker system, then the only time you would need headphones is if it's during hours where you don't want to disturb others. Is it worth it to spend so much money on headphones that you'll only use when you can't use your speakers? If you can ONLY use headphones for whatever reasons, then it's a different story, since you have no choice. But even then, if you could get 90%-95% with a much cheaper high-end headphone, it is even worth it to spend so much more for that additional 5% to 10%?

Anyway, just my two cents.

Quote:
At 10000$-12000$, wouldn't it be worth more to buy a complete speaker system (+ acoustically optimised room)? 
I know, 15000$-20000$ for speakers is only midrange, but still....

But if you can spend 10000$ on headphones without blinking, another 10000$ wouldn't hurt that much, i suppose.

I wouldn't say that $15,000-$20,000 is midrange. Audiophiles have a really distorted sense of cost/performance ratio. In the pro audio world, you can get mastering studio quality sounding reference monitors while spending the same or less. This tends to be true across the board in terms of audiophile vs. pro audio products, where the same price will get you much higher quality and useful products in the pro audio world than the audiophile world.

Quote:
And I need to say, the feeling of the instrument playing/person singing for you/exactly infront of you, is something a headphone can not (yet*) achieve (i suppose).

Of course, it is possible that I am completely wrong, in that case I am really sorry for writing nonsense.

You should check out HRTF/Room sim products like Isone Pro / TB Isone. They turn your headphone into speakers coming from in front of you, and it's very convincing. This is not the same thing as a simple crossfeed--it's much more sophisticated.

Quote:
Sweaty headphone cups are something I can't deal with, and at $10,000, I won't be having sweaty headphone cups!

Just use sanitary covers like I do. They are comfy and don't alter the sound of the headphones at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back