STAX SR-007 OWNERS PLEASE HELP!
Jul 5, 2006 at 6:06 AM Post #46 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lloyd297
However, I would like aspects of the 404 as well...that extra 2/3 of an octave bass and the greater height of the soundstage as well as the greater resolution in the top octave.......

Sounds like the 404 is the winner if it retains all the goodness of the SRX. ( which I haven't heard )
You're right in that the SRX didn't have much of bass, but what's there was tuneful and in keeping with the rest of frequency range.

Jul 5, 2006 at 6:14 AM Post #47 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by LS4ME
I prefer solid state amp so that I do not have to deal with tube rolling and changing.

Tube rolling is no more necessary than opamp rolling or transformer rolling. It's nice if you have the time, money, and tools, but most people would never bother with it.

If you get an amp with a fixed tube bias, then replacing tubes is a matter of plug and play. Considering non-overdriven tubes often last 20000+ hours, you may still be using the original tubes when it comes time to part company with the amp.

Quote:

I just found out about the McAlister EA-1, It seems affordable.

About $700 last I heard.

Quote:

How does it sound with the O2?

Pass.

Quote:

What about the WOO electrostatic amp, how does it sound and what is the retail price?

The Woo is based off an older design by Kevin Gilmore.

Quote:

Any solid state recommendation?

KGSS?

Other than that and a few rare and expensive out of production amps, your only option would be to use a transformer box and a poweramp.

Jul 5, 2006 at 12:21 PM Post #48 of 55
I have not bought into any hype; my expectation of the SRM717 is that it should be more than competent at driving the OM2. Consideration be given to the concept of you get what you pay for I expect the SRM717 to drive the Omegas to say 90% of what they are capable of. I realise that to get the 'nth degree of performance out of the Omegas other amps such as the ES1, Blue Hawaii or perhaps the Mcallister will be necessary.
My impending listening experience with the combo will dictate whether or not to drop some serious money on one of those amps. Buzz fully restored thanks to the resident Stax experts.

Jul 5, 2006 at 3:52 PM Post #49 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by kuma
Sounds like the 404 is the winner if it retains all the goodness of the SRX. ( which I haven't heard )
You're right in that the SRX didn't have much of bass, but what's there was tuneful and in keeping with the rest of frequency range.

Unfortunately the 404 doesn't capture the greatness of the SRX; what it does do is do a couple of things better but on everything else the SRX is supreme.

Jul 6, 2006 at 10:40 PM Post #50 of 55
Esoteric DV50S> PSA Transcendent XLR> SRM717> Omega 2> my ears for 4 hours = Poise, balance, immersive. Simply beautiful.

My apologies for the thread derailment.

Jul 6, 2006 at 11:28 PM Post #51 of 55
I guess this thread has underlined the futility of asking people what a phone/amp combination sounds like, since everyone hears things in different ways and preferences come into play.

Personally I went for the O2/007t combo after listening for at least 3 hours and doing a direct comparison between the 007t and the 717 amps. My personal sound preference.

One of the biggest differences to the sound was made when I upgraded my source and ICs. The sound opened up and the bass become very defined.

Enjoy the O2/717!

Simon

Jul 6, 2006 at 11:38 PM Post #52 of 55
sclamb said:
I guess this thread has underlined the futility of asking people what a phone/amp combination sounds like, since everyone hears things in different ways and preferences come into play."

Amen to that Simon. I am enjoying them, finding it darn difficult to get them off my head actually.

Jul 8, 2006 at 3:32 AM Post #53 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by sclamb
I guess this thread has underlined the futility of asking people what a phone/amp combination sounds like, since everyone hears things in different ways and preferences come into play.

I guess then the notions of "fidelity" and "accuracy" are meaningless. Sure, people differ in their preferences but does that mean that all are equally valid?

But apparently an egalitarian culture dictates that everybody's notions - no matter how wrong - are equally meritorious.

Umm, sorry for letting a bit of unwonted elitism creep in there..........

Jul 8, 2006 at 3:35 AM Post #54 of 55
Quote:

But apparently an egalitarian culture dictates that everybody's notions - no matter how wrong - are equally meritorious. Umm, sorry for letting a bit of unwonted elitism creep in there..........

hehehe.
tongue.gif

And the consensus is not always correct.

One can have a neutral view or take a completely objecrive stance, but then it would be so boring, wouldn't it?

Jul 8, 2006 at 4:11 AM Post #55 of 55
Please refer to my thread!

http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=183581

The jump from the 007t to the ES-1 is not small, and I would recommend it to anyone who can afford it.. the 007 on the 007t seems fat and lazy, while the ES-1 whips it into an Olympian.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back