STAX SR-007 OWNERS PLEASE HELP!
Jul 4, 2006 at 5:16 PM Post #16 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by nikongod
this is the time where watch buying pays off.

when you buy an expensive watch from an authorised dealer, and something goes wrong you take it back to the dealer. if the dealer gives you a hard time, you call up the manufacturer, and they give the dealer a hard time.

call stax, and complain. if you have a method to speak to the presiodent of stax personally share with him your opinions and concerns with this store. specfically note that the store is playing his gear from a "mid-fi" source and will not take the few moments to swap it over to demonstrate its abilites fully. assuming that that dosnt get his attention, ask him to recomend you a difernt store because you are very unhappy with the service there.

just to put things into perspective, it would take the store about 15miniutes to swap whatever they have playing on the system now over to a good quality cd player. those 15 miniutes include the salespeople taking their thumbs out of their butts and washing their hands. after that they just have to let you sit in a chair for a couple hours, and you will buy em. the o2's sound like what you want quite well.

Please allow me to explain:
1. The store is called Refino&Anhelo by Ishimaru denki(a major in akihabara)R&A. Japanese usually try to use those names to signify the idea of 'hi-end' or being 'POSH'. Surely, they have a lot of brands, but they do not even have a dedicated listerning room. When someone is playing for one customer, you would either wait for your turn or ignore the sound from the other rack.They carry the following brands brands.

In the R&A link, you might be able to see the headphone display(2nd row and 2nd photo from the left) . There is where all the headphones like senn 650, akg 701, Grado HS-1, Sony SA5ketcs. are displayed. The audio technica ath-w5000 is on a separate rack with its own headphone amp. As for the stax, they are over to the right of the main display where all the models,except 4070, are set-up together. THE MAIN DISPLAY AND THE STAX DISPLAY ARE HOOKED TOGETHER TO THE CABLE MUSIC BROADCAST.
rolleyes.gif
That is the usual culture in the typical Japanese Hi-end store.

2. It was recommended to me by the President of STAX Mr. MEGURO. He told me that they will let me listern to the 007 in quite place, that is why I went.

3. As I mentioned before, I have to look for another dealer that allow me to demo the 007 in more conducive enviroment.

Jul 4, 2006 at 8:39 PM Post #17 of 55
Some of the comments here have really killed the buzz I was feeling about taking delivery tomorrow of my first venture in ‘stat territory, a SR-007/SRM717 system. Is this combo really that bad that one needs to empty the wallet on an ES1 or Blue Hawaii to get even passably good sound out of the OM2?

Jul 4, 2006 at 8:42 PM Post #18 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by Afrikane
Some of the comments here have really killed the buzz I was feeling about taking delivery tomorrow of my first venture in ‘stat territory, a SR-007/SRM717 system. Is this combo really that bad that one needs to empty the wallet on an ES1 or Blue Hawaii to get even passably good sound out of the OM2?

As an owner of that system, I can give a resounding [size=large]NO![/size] as the answer to that. You can worry about upgrading the SRM-717 to something more powerful once youve got an absolutely UBER source going. Until then, let me assure you, you will not be dissapointed.

Jul 4, 2006 at 9:16 PM Post #20 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lloyd297
What! Another SRX man?!!!!!!!!! You mean I'm not the only one?
eek.gif

The SRX 'fones have a completley different disposition to the newer Omega set as if they are desigend by a completely different designer.
I much prefer the former using my own amplifier.

Jul 4, 2006 at 9:18 PM Post #21 of 55
I'll be honest... I auditioned the 007 (Omega 2) with the 717 and 007t on about half a dozen occasions, with an eye to buy them... but I never did. I'm sure if you are a O2 fan, you will find a lot to like about this combo. But honestly, it never compelled me to drop the cash. I guess I was happier exploring my L3000, PS-1 or K 1000 rigs.

I wouldn't trade my SR-X rig for an O2+717 or 007t combo. But it's not like I think the SR-X is better - I think they're different and the SR-X better fulfills something I'm not getting elsewhere.

Having said that, I do think the Omega 2 with the ES-1, at least based on my brief auditioning experiences, is truly the real thing, and brings the O2 to finally its potential. I think this rig goes up there against the best there is period.

Best,

-Jason

Jul 4, 2006 at 9:25 PM Post #22 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by jjcha
Having said that, I do think the Omega 2 with the ES-1, at least based on my brief auditioning experiences, is truly the real thing, and brings the O2 to finally its potential. I think this rig goes up there against the best there is period.

x2

Jul 4, 2006 at 9:37 PM Post #23 of 55
Quote:

Depends on what your expectation is.
After reading many posts and hypes on the net, it's possible that my expectation for the set was higher. I was, in fact, expecting to be impressed.

By listening to both older and newer Stax, I've learnt that not all Stax sound the same and one can't assume they are all *fast*.

Just because it's newer and more expensive do not mean they are better for everyone. Hifi is subjective and highly personal. There is no one-size-fits-all kit that works for everyone.

An SRX impressed me the best so far!
They did not produce a wide stage like the Omega II did, but they were much more responsive and immediate. ( this is how I think electrostats should sound like )

Not too dissimilar to the AKG K1000 ( sans bass impact, however )
The Omega II sounded distant, slow and meak in comparison. Dynamically weaker no matter what amps/source or ICs are used.

If there is such a thing as * too refined*, the Omega II system stripped away any excitement from the music for me.

Jul 4, 2006 at 9:47 PM Post #24 of 55
Thank you Duggeh and JJcha for your opinions.
@Duggeh, I have an Esoteric DV50S as source, whilst not "Uber" it is pretty decent and I suspect it will do the combo justice.
@JJcha, I might just be the only head-fier in my part of the world so auditioning is not an option. I have read Akwok's drool inducing thread i.r.o the ES1, being absolute 'stat noob the sensible thing for me would be to listen to the OMII/717 combo before making a decision.

Jul 4, 2006 at 10:01 PM Post #25 of 55
O2/717 combination is singing here - not slow, not dull and huge dynamics. You won't be disappointed. Some of you who like the SRX mk3 sound may not like it, but you wouldn't like a Sigma or a Lambda either. These are great phones, make no mistake!

Jul 4, 2006 at 10:13 PM Post #27 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by kuma
You are right.

I didn't.

Me too.

Actually, I like the Lambda a lot, but since getting the SR-X, I haven't been that eager to get one. Heh, so I guess I agree too.
biggrin.gif

Might be just us stating our preferences...

Best,

-Jason

Jul 4, 2006 at 10:24 PM Post #28 of 55
No opinions on the Gammas in this stax cross referencing. Anyone have anythgin to say about them?

Jul 4, 2006 at 10:59 PM Post #29 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by John Buchanan
These are great phones, make no mistake!

For that amount of cash they'd have no excuse not to be.

But remember when comparing these that the amps sound very different from the transformer boxes (or "energizers" as Stax called them). SR-Xs on a direct-drive amp don't sound the same at all as SR-Xs on an SRD-7 hooked up to a big fat VFET or MOSFET amp.

Jul 4, 2006 at 11:02 PM Post #30 of 55
Quote:

I don't know how it sounds in combination with the Omega II, but the 717 amp makes my Lambda Nova Signature Pro sing!
lambda.gif

To my humble ears, the 717 is a very, very good amp. I hope you'll enjoy it!
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back