STAX SR-007 OWNERS PLEASE HELP!
Jul 3, 2006 at 6:44 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 55

LS4ME

Head-Fier
Hi,
I have a sr-404 driven by srm-717 or srm-313. I wish that the 404 has warmer mid and more articulation in the bass. Stax has suggested that I listern to the SR-007, I heard it in the store with music from the cable, not cd or sacd. I can't made up my mind.
confused.gif
confused.gif
Calling all the sr-007 owners for help!!!!! I do not want to make the mistake like I made with the amp after reading the tread from dealers. That is why now I end up with SRM-717 and SRM-313!!!! I wanted a long term relationship not just a honeymoon with the sr-007
rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif

Jul 3, 2006 at 12:42 PM Post #3 of 55
Go back to the store with your cd player and some of your favourite cds. Tell them you want an extended listening session (this is an expensive product, and you do seem to have been a pretty damn good customer so far). Sit down and listen to the Omega2. Chances are, itll be what your looking for. If not, then at least you know without buying it.

Jul 3, 2006 at 1:27 PM Post #5 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by Duggeh
Go back to the store with your cd player and some of your favourite cds. Tell them you want an extended listening session (this is an expensive product, and you do seem to have been a pretty damn good customer so far). Sit down and listen to the Omega2. Chances are, itll be what your looking for. If not, then at least you know without buying it.

Dear Duggeh,
Thanks for the suggestion. I did try to ask them to connect to a cd player for me but they refused. Furthermore I have a problem bring my CD player, it weighs 25kg. This spare player is what I will be using with the sr-007 if I do buy it. I do not want to mess with the main cd player in the main rig. By the way, where are you located in scotland??

Jul 3, 2006 at 1:33 PM Post #6 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by ken36
Yes, the Stax has big bass, it overwhelms me. Dark warm and a little less detail.

hi ken36
I see that you own the 007, is your relationship a strong one? can you please
tell me a liitle more about the 007?

Jul 3, 2006 at 2:00 PM Post #7 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by LS4ME
Dear Duggeh,
Thanks for the suggestion. I did try to ask them to connect to a cd player for me but they refused. Furthermore I have a problem bring my CD player, it weighs 25kg. This spare player is what I will be using with the sr-007 if I do buy it. I do not want to mess with the main cd player in the main rig. By the way, where are you located in scotland??

They refused? Why? They stand to make a bunch of money off you, point out that its a big purchase and that you want to try in store with your cds, or you want a home demo (borrow them for a while with a deposit) or otherwise, because they arnt being helpful, you will take your well paying and discerning custom somewhere else and they will get 0 (these guys work on commission, let them know that you know that).

My avatar profile lists St. Andrews because people know where that is. In reality I live a few miles away in another village.

Good luck.

Jul 3, 2006 at 2:32 PM Post #8 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by Duggeh
They refused? Why? They stand to make a bunch of money off you, point out that its a big purchase and that you want to try in store with your cds, or you want a home demo (borrow them for a while with a deposit) or otherwise, because they arnt being helpful, you will take your well paying and discerning custom somewhere else and they will get 0 (these guys work on commission, let them know that you know that).

My avatar profile lists St. Andrews because people know where that is. In reality I live a few miles away in another village.

Good luck.

They are a snobbish bunch.... They are salaried people and the shop was recommended by the president of stax..... I was so disappointed.... They said that I am most welcome to sit there and listern to the cable radio broadcast wholeday. They are not willing to do the rewiring.... I guess I have to look for another dealer who stock the stax 007.....welcome to JAPAN. That is why I turn to the forum for help!!!For your info, I hillwalked up bend navis once while I was in school in Edinburgh. The old course is quite diffcult to play right...

Jul 3, 2006 at 7:14 PM Post #9 of 55
A shame you are not in the UK now. I know a place that would warmly welcome you to spend the morning or afternoon listening to the 007 with your own source and cables (Simply Stax).

Simon

Jul 4, 2006 at 7:19 AM Post #10 of 55
So you're in Japan right now? There are several places in Akihabara that have Omega IIs set up.

Failing that, you could always take the day trip to Saitama, and visit Stax HQ. If so, take photographs.

Jul 4, 2006 at 7:34 AM Post #11 of 55
The Omega II & SRM 717 was one of most disappointing system I have heard.
It was a good thing I could audition them before I took a gamble on it.
I've experimented with different cables and what not, but the combination was slow and dull.
I suppose they had a decent stage and details but certainly they were not something I could live with.

I much prefer their older SRX series.

Jul 4, 2006 at 8:48 AM Post #12 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by kuma
I've experimented with different cables and what not, but the combination was slow and dull.
I suppose they had a decent stage and details but certainly they were not something I could live with.

Dull maybe, but slow??? It's an electrostatic, how could it sound slow?

Jul 4, 2006 at 12:36 PM Post #13 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by kuma

What! Another SRX man?!!!!!!!!! You mean I'm not the only one?
eek.gif

Jul 4, 2006 at 2:12 PM Post #14 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by LS4ME
They are a snobbish bunch.... They are salaried people and the shop was recommended by the president of stax..... I was so disappointed.... They said that I am most welcome to sit there and listern to the cable radio broadcast wholeday. They are not willing to do the rewiring.... I guess I have to look for another dealer who stock the stax 007.....welcome to JAPAN. That is why I turn to the forum for help!!!For your info, I hillwalked up bend navis once while I was in school in Edinburgh. The old course is quite diffcult to play right...

this is the time where watch buying pays off.

when you buy an expensive watch from an authorised dealer, and something goes wrong you take it back to the dealer. if the dealer gives you a hard time, you call up the manufacturer, and they give the dealer a hard time.

call stax, and complain. if you have a method to speak to the presiodent of stax personally share with him your opinions and concerns with this store. specfically note that the store is playing his gear from a "mid-fi" source and will not take the few moments to swap it over to demonstrate its abilites fully. assuming that that dosnt get his attention, ask him to recomend you a difernt store because you are very unhappy with the service there.

just to put things into perspective, it would take the store about 15miniutes to swap whatever they have playing on the system now over to a good quality cd player. those 15 miniutes include the salespeople taking their thumbs out of their butts and washing their hands. after that they just have to let you sit in a chair for a couple hours, and you will buy em. the o2's sound like what you want quite well.

Jul 4, 2006 at 4:51 PM Post #15 of 55
The SR-007 can indeed sound slow, compressed and with anemic or overblown bass when they are improperly fitted and driven from an amp that isn't good enough. They are very picky and need a huge voltage swing to come alive. The SRM-717 is a good amp for the money but it doesn’t swing enough voltage and neither does the 007t. Get an ES-1 or something similar and don't look back

Users who are viewing this thread

Back