STAX SR-007 (Omega II) ... A Review After 4 Years Of Ownership
Aug 3, 2003 at 1:04 PM Post #16 of 58
Wow. It was worth the Benzedrine I had to take to wade through that. It turns out I use almost exactly the same method as you to determine headstage. I would however never have bothered to write about it in such detail. Thanks. It seems these are a must buy. I shall consider it very seriously.

Aug 3, 2003 at 1:48 PM Post #17 of 58
Welcome back Darth Nut! Thanks for leaving us with so much to ponder.

Given that soundstaging/headstaging appears to be as much of a hot-button for you as it is for me, I wonder if you've had the chance to audition a Sony MDR-R10? These things throw a soundstage unlike any I've heard. And I say this as someone who listens chiefly to rock/pop. I find that even with these recordings, the R10s are able to preserve the soundstage, and provide a convincing depth to images.

Anyway, thanks for the review!

Mark

Aug 3, 2003 at 2:55 PM Post #19 of 58
[size=medium]As a serious amateur photographer who consciously employs visual depth cues to create a sense of space in his images, I can especially appreciate your sonic analogs here. One should also be able to come up with sonic analogs for contrast, acutance and perhaps even granularity. These three terms, along with resolution, have well defined objective definitions that give rise to the subjective sense of sharpness in photographic imagery.

I do agree with you that the typical casual listener will feel that you have wwaaayy too much time on your hands, but who the hell cares about them?
evil_smiley.gif
[/size]

Aug 3, 2003 at 4:08 PM Post #21 of 58
Thank you for one of the most insightful posts I've seen on Head-Fi in a long time.

There is much to think about and ponder. However, I'd like to raise one point for consideration.

We tend to think of the perceptual process as a one-way street. That is, there are a set of stimuli out in the world. They impact our sensory receptors, travel to the brain, and are eventually interpreted. If we can find the rules that our brains use for interpretation of those stimuli, we approach a language of subjective experience.

However, the particular process described above, the path from receptor to brain, is only one part of the perceptual process. We would call these "bottom-up" processes, as they start at the lowest level in the sensory chain (the receptor) and go to the highest (the brain). However, there is another class of sensory process that goes in the other direction. The brain can affect not only how we interpret messages from receptors, but can actually affect what we are able to perceive. Experience can actually alter the very messages sent from the sensory receptors. This class of process, whereby the brain affects the ability to perceive, can be called "top-down" processing.

A small implication of this is that there may need to be a Fifth Depth cue, relating to the expectation of depth. The perception of depth may depend as much, if not more, on top-down processing (the actions of the brain) than the actual physical stimulus.

Another problem then arises, since the brain does indeed affect perception at a level much farther down the line than just interpretation of the sensory signal, to what degree to our expectations of what something sounds like actually alter our perceptions and mold it to that image? In creating a language to describe the sensory experience, are we communicating a common experience, or actually limiting the experience to the dimensions of the language we have assigned to it?

Aug 3, 2003 at 5:47 PM Post #22 of 58
Wow. Impressive, though this seems like less of a review and more of an excellent explanation of headstage theory. Also, good to see you back again, darth nut.

Aug 3, 2003 at 11:49 PM Post #23 of 58
What an incredible piece to read, thanks Darth. For those who don't know, Darth is rather a legend around the Headwize Forums. His "interview" of Jimbo back in 2000 over at Headwize is timeless.

darth nut interviews jimbo

Good to see you post Darth.....now, if we could only get Apheared back

Aug 4, 2003 at 12:42 AM Post #24 of 58
I hope someone accepts the challenge to use the headstage/soundstage distinction in reviews of other equipment.

This is all very interesting; thanks Darthnut!

My own ears aren't good enough to do much of this I'm afraid: but I am checking out Darthnut's analysis of the Senn vs. Grado phenomenon!

Aug 4, 2003 at 4:49 PM Post #25 of 58
Wow! Many of my experiences with my Stax headphones in comparison to my dynamics are now easier to understand having read your wonderful description of the headstage and depth cues. Thanks darth nut, your posts have been missed.

Aug 4, 2003 at 6:09 PM Post #26 of 58
Hey Darth! Great to see you back after so long... Excellent article. I'm going to need some time to digest it.

Have you considered submitting this to Stereophile? I think this is a unique article that deserves some exposure!

Aug 4, 2003 at 7:43 PM Post #28 of 58
Quote:

I hope someone accepts the challenge to use the headstage/soundstage distinction in reviews of other equipment.

Hmmmmmm... I've been thinking of revising and adding additional comments to my Sony R10 review upstairs, show how my opinion has evolved in the 18 months since I wrote it and after a lot of upstream equipment swapping. Maybe I can *try to* incorporate some of darth's ideas into the review. If there's any other headphone that is worth evaluating on these new parameters, it would be the R10s.

That is, if anyone here still wants to read me rattle on about the R10s yet *again*.
tongue.gif
wink.gif

Mark

Aug 4, 2003 at 10:05 PM Post #29 of 58
Quote:

Originally posted by Snufkin
Holy wordwrap batman, that's a lot of scrolling!

It's going to take me a while to absorb all that!

54 pages of scrolling to be exact.
eek.gif

(I'm removing the wordwrap in word now so that I can print this)

This has got to be the most enlighting post in Head-fi's history.

A copy of it should be given to all member's.

Bravo.

Aug 4, 2003 at 10:20 PM Post #30 of 58
This is the best equipment writeup/analysis I've read.

Thank you very much darth nut.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back