Stax: SR 002 + Srm 002 and Srm 003 mk2 + Srm 003 impression and appreciation thread
Mar 10, 2013 at 5:36 PM Post #316 of 783
Where did you guys bought the old replacement tips for your 002?
Mine (L size), new kind, already broke!
And STAXUSA wants to charge 11.50 for shipping when I live within 40 miles of their location!
Zero, hope you enjoy them. I certainly like them a lot.

Mar 10, 2013 at 7:34 PM Post #317 of 783
Quote:
I'm in the UK so I just ordered from Maplin and got this one: http://www.maplin.co.uk/ac-dc-multi-voltage-power-supply-46107

You should be able to find something similar on eBay, Amazon, or at Radio Shack.  Having the switchable voltage is no necessary, you could get a fixed voltage version.

Just to be clear, this is only a power supply, not a "charger".  You cannot charge batteries by using the DC supply.

I have the old SRM-001's will any of the supplied tips fit?

Mar 11, 2013 at 7:16 AM Post #319 of 783
I've been getting the old style (001) from e-bay and a local supplier int he UK (electromod).  I'm pretty well stocked now.

I haven't ordered any of the new style yet as I find I like the old ones better.
Quote:
Where did you guys bought the old replacement tips for your 002?
Mine (L size), new kind, already broke!
And STAXUSA wants to charge 11.50 for shipping when I live within 40 miles of their location!
Zero, hope you enjoy them. I certainly like them a lot.

Mar 11, 2013 at 7:40 AM Post #322 of 783
Sorry! 

If you mean will the tips from that supply work with a 001 amplifier?  Yes, the tips provided are most of the typical used, and STAX doesn't seem to use anything out of the ordinary for the DC input on their gear.

Quote:
I meant the interchangeable tips that come with the DC adapter you linked previously in your post.

Mar 11, 2013 at 1:17 PM Post #323 of 783
where are people buying SR-001 tips in the US?

Mar 15, 2013 at 6:20 AM Post #325 of 783
I'm pretty happy with using the old style tips with the 002's, but I can never leave well enough alone...

I heard back from these guys (http://ultimateear.com/music.php) and I'm working on a visit to their office so they can check out the 002 in person to see if they can make a custom mold.  I'll keep you all posted on how it goes.

Mar 16, 2013 at 12:11 AM Post #326 of 783
I recently purchased the SR-002 from Headamp. Thanks to Justin for fast shipping and an excellent customer service experience. I'm still getting a feel for the system, but I will share the following notes:

- I found Eneloops gave a weaker sound than alkalines. I have not yet tried a 4.5V adapter.
- I can get a good seal using either the stock M or L tips. Haven't tried non-Stax tips yet. The stems do go a bit into the ear but not as much as my Shures, obviously. I had a bit of pain in my left tragus but my ears seem to be adapting rather quickly.

- The cable is very thin and feels fragile (of course, I have not tested it).

- They most certainly do NOT lack bass. Case in point: I was listening to my 404LEs (via 006t) for about 30 minutes, then popped the S-002s in. The bass was much fuller, (in fact, I would go as far as to say that the bass is too full, and a bit boomy). 
- I would consider that the sound signature is much closer to my 007Mk1 than my 404LE (I have not heard the SR-009).  However, I do find that the sound is 'flatter', compared to the 007Mk1 (I'm not very good with audiophile terms, but the mid and treble seem recessed to me). 

Mar 16, 2013 at 4:46 AM Post #327 of 783
Purchased these cheap tips from ebay. They work great, are very soft and stretch nicely if you use a carefully used set of surgical clamps.
"
 These tips come with 
a hole for a 4.5mm speaker stem and will fit up to a 6.5mm 
stem".​

http://www.ebay.com/itm/150793346749?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

Mar 16, 2013 at 9:53 PM Post #328 of 783
After some of the comments here, especially some of the thoughts from VPI (among others.)  I ordered from Justin at HeadAmp and had a similar positive experience to oogabooga.

Mine arrived around 4 and I've had a few hours on them now.

The first thing I did was plug it straight into the laptop and hit up Spotify for an album I've heard a lot, but didn't have a CD or lossless file handy.  1 male vocal, 2 acoustic guitar, live crowd.  I hate to be the "I've never heard this in the recording before, ever!" guy, but that's what happened.  Early on, I'm rather impressed.

Fit wise, I only tried the medium tips so far and though they stayed in, there was some play.  Instead of swapping tips, I gave the headband a shot.  I think someone said they have a large head, and many find it uncomfortable. My hat size is a 7 7/8 or an 8, and from my bike helmet measurements, a circumference of 64 or 65cm (seems average is around 57.)  I've been using the headband for just under 4 hours now, and I'm happy enough with it.

This is the longest I've listened to headphones for music at home in months, and I'm really looking forward to using it as the work rig starting on Monday.

**BRENT**

Mar 17, 2013 at 2:59 AM Post #329 of 783
Well, the external battery pack generates a lot of noise.
Output voltage without a load is 5.2V, and the noise is quite loud in both outputs.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/110996970095?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649
I also made a USB cable to power it directly through  the Apple USB wall plug. Measured 5.1V without a load. Still a lot of noise.
Back to the internal battery pack.

Mar 17, 2013 at 11:51 AM Post #330 of 783
Quote:
Power supply solutions:

If someone decide to do a full mod (using large film caps for input, hiding in the battery bay), then they will need an external power supply. Good news is, we now have readyly available large capacity USB battery packs (5V output) with high current output capability, and you can charge it via USB. 

5000mAH capacity for $20, not bad at all. It even comes with an assortment of tips. Might as well get a couple so you always have one fully charged ready to go.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/5000mAh-2-USB-Output-Power-Bank-External-Battery-Pack-for-ipad-iphone-Mobile-New-/110996970095?pt=PDA_Accessories&hash=item19d7ef5a6f

Imagine this: use the power pack to power your source, such as iMod or Sansa Fuze (use the 500mA output), and the 002 (use the 1A output), then add an external cap box/LOD, and stack them together...

iMod / Sansa fuze
 capbox/LOD
power pack

It will be a thick stack but there you have a true high-end transportable system.

And imagine taking that through the TSA checks......

I bought one of these and tried it out - after an hour of listening I noticed that the SR-001 amplifier's plastic housing was warm to the touch. I'm wondering if 5 volts might be too much for a stock SR-001 amp. Anyone with any thoughts on this?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back