Stax: SR 002 + Srm 002 and Srm 003 mk2 + Srm 003 impression and appreciation thread
Feb 26, 2013 at 8:07 PM Post #271 of 783
That's what I am afraid of.
Justin mentioned somewhere in the first few posts that it could be done. I wonder if he knows which connector to use........

Feb 26, 2013 at 8:15 PM Post #272 of 783
Yeah it sucks...but you still need to buy the detachable ends that connect up to the ear-speakers itself if you're wanting to make a cable. Besides dicing a broken cable I see no other approaches to making a custom cable.

Btw congratz on 2000 posts.

Feb 26, 2013 at 8:32 PM Post #273 of 783
Oh, is not a custom cable I'd like to make. It's an adapter to use the sr002 with a regular Stax amp. 
I rather test the KGSSHV I'm building with the 002 than the Sigma404 or the 009. 
Funny, did not even noticed I was up to 2K 

Feb 26, 2013 at 8:54 PM Post #274 of 783
^^ Dat. Pigtail with portable jack on one end and Stax male on the other. 

From modifying a SRD-7 Pro to a 727II, I was glad to have the 003 volunteer to have the first listen (and such a great little product to boot).

Feb 27, 2013 at 4:29 AM Post #275 of 783
Quote:
Oh, is not a custom cable I'd like to make. It's an adapter to use the sr002 with a regular Stax amp. 
I rather test the KGSSHV I'm building with the 002 than the Sigma404 or the 009. 
Funny, did not even noticed I was up to 2K 

making a jack like the one on the sr-002 amp is a lot easier than making the headphone plug.  it's just piece of circuit board

HeadAmp Stay updated on HeadAmp at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/HeadAmp https://twitter.com/HeadAmp https://www.instagram.com/headamp/ https://www.headamp.com/ sales@headamp.com
Feb 27, 2013 at 10:12 AM Post #276 of 783
My new external battery about 4,5 volt .
my friend DIY help me to build this external battery for my Stax Srm 002
with the this external battery can improve the sound quality very good 
high : more open than use 1,5 volt x 2 battery and more detail 
mid : more body , more sweet and more clear 
bass : better bass impact than use 1,5 volt x 2 battery 
separation : is better than before 
soundstage : wider and better depth

maybe Justin can help another head fier Friends to build external battery like mine

Feb 28, 2013 at 6:54 AM Post #277 of 783
Quote:
My new external battery about 4,5 volt .

Your external pack looks promising; thanks for posting. If you can share more specific information about the cell used, the pcb (schematic and parts list), and the connections, others looking for a similar solution might choose to build one. 

Was that PCB repurposed from another application? A protection and charging circuit? And, have you given any thought on how you'll case it up?

I'm still thinking the ultimate solution would be an internal (max-voltage-possible) cell with a charging/protection circuit that can be used on the go, or, plugged in while stationary; charging the battery or trickle-charging while the external source is used to drive the amp. 

I'm sure Justin would love to help between building BHSEs (batch 3&4) and many other fine products and shipping Stax gear the same day purchased. Hopefully someone knows a guy that knows a guy that can also assist.

Your posts and impressions on the SRS-002 helped me pull the trigger; mine should arrive today. Thanks a bunch for sharing with the community.

Feb 28, 2013 at 10:14 PM Post #278 of 783
I just bought a Sony AC-E454 4.5 VOLT 400ma AC POWER ADAPTER, but my DMM reads the DC voltage at 7.9V when it should be 4.5V.
Should I be concerned about using it with my SRM002? 
Somebody posted earlier about using this particular adapter. Just want to express concern that it could potentially damage your amp.
I bought this one at ebay and likely will return it.

Mar 1, 2013 at 12:12 AM Post #279 of 783
If you trust your DMM, I wouldn't use that power adapter for anything. If it reads 7.9V it's broken, who knows what it will output when the amp is plugged in. 

Mar 1, 2013 at 10:23 AM Post #282 of 783
Quote:

Your external pack looks promising; thanks for posting. If you can share more specific information about the cell used, the pcb (schematic and parts list), and the connections, others looking for a similar solution might choose to build one. 

Was that PCB repurposed from another application? A protection and charging circuit? And, have you given any thought on how you'll case it up?

I'm still thinking the ultimate solution would be an internal (max-voltage-possible) cell with a charging/protection circuit that can be used on the go, or, plugged in while stationary; charging the battery or trickle-charging while the external source is used to drive the amp. 

I'm sure Justin would love to help between building BHSEs (batch 3&4) and many other fine products and shipping Stax gear the same day purchased. Hopefully someone knows a guy that knows a guy that can also assist.

Your posts and impressions on the SRS-002 helped me pull the trigger; mine should arrive today. Thanks a bunch for sharing with the community.

Hi drp 

i am sorry , I bought from my friend DIY , I know only That he use Samsung Galaxy S3 battery . I don't know about the pcb board for the charger .

that's why for head fier friends who live in USA or other country , maybe Justin from Headamp know about this external battery .
its very good if Justine can sell so kind of external battery for us .
this battery can improve SQ significant , more power , better bass impact , better clarity 
better separation and soundstage .

i have 3 benefits from this external battery :
1. I can safe money to buy 1,5 volt battery 
2. I worry about the battery cover from my Srm 002 , that's one day can broken , because 
    Open and close ( the material from plastic )
3. I can improve my SQ from Srm 002

Mar 2, 2013 at 11:02 PM Post #283 of 783
^^ Cheers, Rudi.

Switching back to topic of cable swapping, has anyone actually disassembled a SR-003 housing, or have specific instructions on how this should be done? Appears to be press-fit together; trick being where exactly to pry first, and how/with what type of tool. Are the cable contacts just plugged in or soldered on?

RE: Swap out the cables with my current 003; see how the Mk2 version sounds with the 252 and 727 amps. At the moment, using a 4.5v universal wall wart to power and sourced with a RA Opus 21; color me very impressed with this little transportable.

Mar 3, 2013 at 3:28 AM Post #284 of 783
Thanks for the photos.  

The amp section looks not that different from the 001 amp's, what kind of opamp are they using (two 8-pin SOIC close to the input jack)?

The power supply section looks similar as well, maybe more robust, using two power transistor (instead of 1 in the 001).

The output board seems to have A LOT of extra "wasted" space, begging for output cap upgrades.

Quote:
Here is the inside of the portable amp, for those who are interested in this stuff.  Could probably double the battery life, and lower the weight, by replacing the 2xAA holder with a lithium polymer pack.

Mar 3, 2013 at 5:42 AM Post #285 of 783
Quote:

Switching back to topic of cable swapping, has anyone actually disassembled a SR-003 housing, or have specific instructions on how this should be done? Appears to be press-fit together; trick being where exactly to pry first, and how/with what type of tool. Are the cable contacts just plugged in or soldered on?

You don't need to take any cases apart.  The cables just plug into the ear pieces.  No tools needed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back