Stax: SR 002 + Srm 002 and Srm 003 mk2 + Srm 003 impression and appreciation thread
Feb 21, 2013 at 11:59 PM Post #241 of 783
Quote:
I have both the old portable and 2 003's so obviously I like them.  However I have often thought that they rolled off the treble too much.  Still they are very listenable on a wide range of equipment.  The portable is so nice to have on trips.
 No question that the full-sized amps will outperform the portables. However if I have a full sized amp available I also have a Sigma/404, 007A or Sigma Pro as my preferred phones (and preferred in that order too.)

Right. I was mainly answering your question about the difference between the old and new earphones. Doesn't matter what amp you use so long as it's the same for both.

As for using a full-sized amp, not everyone has the luxury of owning some of the higher-end Stax. Stuff like the SR-Sigma aren't cheap anymore thanks to flippers on eBay, and at least compared to the Lambdas I think the earphones are actually pretty competitive. Smaller desktop amps from Stax or transformers can be found at fairly reasonable prices still.

More and more these days people are using IEMs for home listening, believe it or not.

Feb 23, 2013 at 6:08 PM Post #242 of 783
As for using a full-sized amp, not everyone has the luxury of owning some of the higher-end Stax. Stuff like the SR-Sigma aren't cheap anymore thanks to flippers on eBay, and at least compared to the Lambdas I think the earphones are actually pretty competitive. Smaller desktop amps from Stax or transformers can be found at fairly reasonable prices still.

More and more these days people are using IEMs for home listening, believe it or not.

My potential use is actually at my desk for which I'm debating whether to get the included amp or a full size used amp. I debated getting a BHSE or Electra for home and keeping the KGSSHV at work, but that seems absurd.

After years of sharing workspace, I have my first coworker who dislikes my open headphones which means the SR-007 and HD800 go home. I have fallen in love with the STAX sound and I'm hoping these fit the bill. How loud are they for someone 8-10 feet away in a relatively quiet environment at a modest volume?

Feb 23, 2013 at 8:21 PM Post #243 of 783
Quote:
After years of sharing workspace, I have my first coworker who dislikes my open headphones which means the SR-007 and HD800 go home. I have fallen in love with the STAX sound and I'm hoping these fit the bill. How loud are they for someone 8-10 feet away in a relatively quiet environment at a modest volume?

8-10 feet away in a quiet environment? Probably can just hear a faint bit of the headphones not extremely loud or anything. There is an open port hole (mesh covering) on the backside of the ear-speakers which help ventilate the stators with air to breathe so that's where any of the slightest sound will be coming from.

Feb 23, 2013 at 9:09 PM Post #244 of 783
I sleep with the 002's and my wife hasn't complained yet.
smile.gif

Feb 23, 2013 at 9:27 PM Post #245 of 783
Thanks, guys. Sounds like something I'd love. I should have picked up a pair before the northern California meet. It would have been interesting to see how they scaled with all the STAX gear there.

Feb 23, 2013 at 11:55 PM Post #246 of 783
I have been listening, almost exclusively, to the Stax SRS-002 the last two weeks in my office and on travels.  Typically through the laptop and Pico DAC on travel and through the Weiss DAC2/Ayre QB-9 DACs with a cheap RadioShack RCA>1/8" in the office.  The 4 pairs of custom iems have actually been gathering dust for a bit as I keep grabbing the Stax setup.  I was really just intrigued about a little Stax system when I picked it up but I have found it to be quite impressive.  It has been a while since I have actually listened to headphones for anything but music/movies on planes or during my commute but the new toy syndrome has me trying these things out all over the place to see how they perform.

I have gotten pretty decent fit with the standard ear pieces but I am definitely looking to go custom ear molds for these to get the comfort I have with all of the iems.  

Feb 25, 2013 at 3:41 AM Post #248 of 783
I bought the eartips for Stax sr 001 mk2 , this eartip has better fitting to my ear compare the Stock eartip from sr 002 . With better fitting I can hear better sound quality .

Feb 25, 2013 at 3:43 AM Post #249 of 783
I bought the eartips for Stax sr 001 mk2 , this eartip has better fitting to my ear compare the Stock eartip from sr 002 . With better fitting I can hear better sound quality .

Feb 25, 2013 at 7:15 PM Post #252 of 783
Quote:
How do some of you people listen to these without the headband? For me at least they don't want to stay in my ear.

I don't get that either they work loose pretty fast especially when walking.  Also curious where you people are getting the SR-001 tips, other than Audiocubes?

Feb 25, 2013 at 10:50 PM Post #253 of 783
Couldn't help but pick up the SR-002 after staring at Rudi's rig. 

I might pick up the version with the PRO bias cord to use at work with a full sized amp.

Feb 26, 2013 at 1:20 AM Post #254 of 783
You mean the SR003 Mk2 then.
The portable has a different connector.
BTW, does anybody know of a good cable and connector to make a DIY cable for the SR002 to Stax adapter?

Feb 26, 2013 at 1:26 AM Post #255 of 783
There was a user around here that made custom Stax connectors for these back in the original SR-002 impression thread started by headphoneaddict and audiocats. Other than that I've got a quote on buying the cables separately through my local Stax distributor through the help of rudi, both the propietary SRM connector and the connector to connect up to a full sized amp. Price is not cheap at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back