Stax: SR 002 + Srm 002 and Srm 003 mk2 + Srm 003 impression and appreciation thread
May 15, 2020 at 5:06 PM Post #661 of 783
I find 003 extremely uncomfortable, and the sound is greatly dependent in the fit - so it's quite a lottery, depending on your specific ear canal.
Regular IEMs like LZ A6 are cheaper, more comfortable and sound better too.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32962066220.html
well yes, I guessed so based on the pictures, but it's not too costly like 3-4k TOTL IEMs today, so I guess it's a easy "buy and try" :) … but I am still waiting until June as airless are still closed in my location so cannot receive any shipments :frowning2:

May 19, 2020 at 8:40 PM Post #662 of 783
well yes, I guessed so based on the pictures, but it's not too costly like 3-4k TOTL IEMs today, so I guess it's a easy "buy and try" :) … but I am still waiting until June as airless are still closed in my location so cannot receive any shipments :frowning2:
Regardless of the cost, it doesn't sound like a TOTL IEM

Jul 20, 2020 at 11:22 AM Post #663 of 783
Hi I got the STAX SR002 Earphones today, I see it suffer on Subbass, It rumbles like crazy even at 50% of volume as shared in the video link below, something is off I think, kindly confirm. Below 50% volume, it is indeed awesome detail retrieval. running directly from MacBook air 2017 tested on various songs, FLAC, WAV, MP3 and Youtube, if the volume is increased it is unbearable. When the SRM 002 is switched off I hear Humm sound, is this normal. Using the batteries that came in the box

Please share your insights and advice.

Please find findings on the video below.

Thanks
Sanjay

Jul 20, 2020 at 12:31 PM Post #664 of 783
Hi I got the STAX SR002 Earphones today, I see it suffer on Subbass, It rumbles like crazy even at 50% of volume as shared in the video link below, something is off I think, kindly confirm. Below 50% volume, it is indeed awesome detail retrieval. running directly from MacBook air 2017 tested on various songs, FLAC, WAV, MP3 and Youtube, if the volume is increased it is unbearable. When the SRM 002 is switched off I hear Humm sound, is this normal. Using the batteries that came in the box

Please share your insights and advice.

Please find findings on the video below.

Thanks
Sanjay

It is not designed to be listened to at high volume. It sounds great at 20% volume. I bought a USB cable for nintendo and it works great instead of using batteries.

Jul 20, 2020 at 8:52 PM Post #668 of 783
I didn't notice humming sound with batteries unless they are low. I noticed the humming sound with wall charger cable. I use the USB port on my computer with the better quality cable and no humming.

Jul 21, 2020 at 2:59 AM Post #670 of 783
So two things, 1. how is the energizer attached to the computer? From the video it doesn't appear to be a line out, so you may be double amping and introducing distortion. 2. That looks like a Youtube video as your playback, which isn't going to the highest fidelity. Run the Stax off something with a true lineout and of reasonable quality and see if the prob is replicated.

Regards,

Giles

Jul 21, 2020 at 10:49 AM Post #672 of 783
I tried it from my zishan DSD pro FLAC files same issue, after 40% of volume the bass heavy songs become unbearable. The same thing happened when I used line out option from my mac book pro too. High mids also get distorted after about 50% of volume even when they are not amped. Used new 1.5v batteries as well !!

Jul 21, 2020 at 2:09 PM Post #673 of 783
Just remember that these are not a heavy bass IEM. I am not sure if any electrostatic headphone's could be considered bass heavy.

Jul 21, 2020 at 11:22 PM Post #674 of 783
Just remember that these are not a heavy bass IEM. I am not sure if any electrostatic headphone's could be considered bass heavy.
I understand, but any bass in any song gets distorted, I have to now selectively listen to songs that are no Hip Hop or have any Bass heavy notes, the mids as well gets distorted after volume is increased to about 70% increased volume to test its capabilities, I listen to music now only below 50% of the volume.

Nov 17, 2020 at 3:45 PM Post #675 of 783
I have the SHURE KSE-1500 and I enjoy listening to the Stax more. The open back is much pleasant. Listen using less than 40% volume. I use the USB cable with low impedance. Those are very sensitive and sound supreme.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back