STAX SR-001 MK II "Cyro Treatment"?
Oct 12, 2007 at 6:49 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 43

martycat

New Head-Fier
Hi all! Anyone knows the difference of the new "Cyro Treatment" version from the old one? Thanks!
confused.gif

Oct 12, 2007 at 12:43 PM Post #2 of 43
Oct 12, 2007 at 1:12 PM Post #3 of 43
Oct 12, 2007 at 1:23 PM Post #4 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by martycat /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi all! Anyone knows the difference of the new "Cyro Treatment" version from the old one? Thanks!
confused.gif

Can you expand on this question of yours? What is the context?

Oct 12, 2007 at 3:13 PM Post #5 of 43
Quote:

confused.gif

Where can you get one that is Cyro treated?
blink.gif

Oct 12, 2007 at 3:51 PM Post #6 of 43
You know, my uncle James, who developed neutron diffraction instrumentation to allow the study of the molecular structure of superconductors, told me a lot of things about the advantages of supercooling conductors.

The one that comes to mind at the moment is the way that the effect is only good while it's still frozen.

Oct 12, 2007 at 3:57 PM Post #7 of 43
Quote:

confused.gif

Which new version do you talk about?
For what I know the SR-001mk2 is not cryo treated. But I 'might' be wrong...

Oct 12, 2007 at 4:10 PM Post #8 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by ericj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You know, my uncle James, who developed neutron diffraction instrumentation to allow the study of the molecular structure of superconductors, told me a lot of things about the advantages of supercooling conductors.

The one that comes to mind at the moment is the way that the effect is only good while it's still frozen.

I am not about to buy one
wink.gif
I am just curious where people get these things
very_evil_smiley.gif

Oct 12, 2007 at 4:19 PM Post #9 of 43
As far as I know Cyro treatment of electrostatic drivers is supposed to give you the same effect as hundreds of hours of burn in. So you just plug them in and they have already the full potential and there is no need to burn them in further. But I never heard a Cyro treated estatic, so I don't know if it's true or just a trick to sell them.

Oct 12, 2007 at 5:21 PM Post #11 of 43
I didn't know about a cryo version of the S-001 but the Airbow SR-SC1 is a double cryo treated 404 and it sounds much, much better to me. They cryo treat the cable and the drivers but the housing is also an option as it would change the resonance frequency.

Cryo works on items that were molten or heated to high temperatures during manufacturing or the crystal structure was in some way altered. By freezing cables for instance you would rearrange the crystals and they stay that way until heated above 100°C or so. I guess it would have a positive effect on the mylar as well, making it smoother and more evenly stretched.

Oct 12, 2007 at 8:52 PM Post #15 of 43
it sounds pretty cockamamie to me, too, but Spritzer and Carl have confirmed that to their ears there is a noticeable difference and improvement, so I withhold judgement until I get a chance to hear whether in this instance the cockamamie really works.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back