STAX SR-Ω (SR-Omega) '' The Legendary OMEGA ''
Dec 14, 2023 at 10:16 AM Post #241 of 258
hello everyone~ here are some frequency responses of X9 and omega swap their earpads tested on bk4128, hope it will be helpful.:relaxed:

11.jpg
22.jpg
33.jpg

44.jpg
55.jpg

Dec 17, 2023 at 1:39 AM Post #244 of 258
Have any clones of the Omega earpads been made? I would think that most original Stax-made Omega pads would be crumbling by now and any that are still in good condition are best paired with the Omegas still out there.

Dec 17, 2023 at 7:09 AM Post #245 of 258
Have any clones of the Omega earpads been made? I would think that most original Stax-made Omega pads would be crumbling by now and any that are still in good condition are best paired with the Omegas still out there.
The Stax foam is surprisingly resilient. Most Omegas I have seen for sale have the original ear pads.

Dec 17, 2023 at 3:02 PM Post #247 of 258
Can anyone opine on the merits of the Blue Hawaii ES?
I am curious to know more about its comparative strengths, such as base response, hum/hiss issues, sibilance, etc.
I have the original SRM T-1's and find them to be super hum/hiss free, but a bit light on the bass and a bit tizzy at the high end.
Nevertheless, a great amp for being 30 years old.
Your thoughts will be much appreciated.

Dec 17, 2023 at 5:15 PM Post #248 of 258
I am curious to know more about its comparative strengths, such as base response, hum/hiss issues, sibilance, etc.
I have the original SRM T-1's and find them to be super hum/hiss free, but a bit light on the bass and a bit tizzy at the high end.
Testing of the standard electrostatic load (120pf) requires about 18ma+ to complete a full voltage swing at 20,000hz (max of human hearing). When the voltage swing is not properly achieved you end up with issues at the ends of the frequency spectrum (loose bass and piercing highs).

This is not a perfect way to look at things because tube amps and different style of amps (dc vs ac) sound different also but from one perspective of amplification you could compare:

Most Stax amps are only about 6ma I believe at 350v

BHSE is like 16-18ma at 400v (although technically can go to 25ma but has heat issues)

Carbon can be as high as 22ma at 400v or 500v depending on the build

megatron has 27ma but output to headphone varies . T2 is similar but with more powerful 500v psu.

Circlotron (not currently built by anyone) is at lowest 25ma but is capable of 100ma of current delivery (which would give full voltage swing at 50,000hz lol)

Once you factor in the other differences that affect the timber, there are some more clear match ups. The x9000 for instance does best on the all-tube amps since it has a thinner sound signature. The 007 is great off the carbon since it’s a darker headphone and the extra power gives it clarity.
The omega is a wonderful headphone that pretty much will do well on anything. I liked it a lot with the carbon, bhse, and even the low-power Novem amp.

The bhse is a great all around amp that you can not go wrong with and has excellent support/warranty. It’s been the gold standard for 10+ years now.

Last edited:
Dec 17, 2023 at 5:25 PM Post #249 of 258

The T1s is my backup amp, and a fine one. I generally like it, but like you mention it's a bit softer when it comes to bass, punch and the high end. Still pretty good for the Stax amps I've heard. The BHSE is quite a bit better. I've never had hum/hiss issues with it, and it's easily better than the T1s as far as punch goes, although not my some obscene amount.

Dec 17, 2023 at 5:58 PM Post #250 of 258
Thanks to you both for your excellent analyses.
It sounds like the BHSE is the amp I should invest in.
Is there any risk of overdriving the vintage Omegas with a higher electrostatic load delivered from the newer amps?

Dec 17, 2023 at 6:09 PM Post #251 of 258
Thanks to you both for your excellent analyses.
It sounds like the BHSE is the amp I should invest in.
Is there any risk of overdriving the vintage Omegas with a higher electrostatic load delivered from the newer amps?
The amps are very much intended for that (I use my megatron with almost exclusively vintage Stax gear).
Maybe @justin w. at headamp can chime in for verification

Dec 17, 2023 at 6:38 PM Post #255 of 258
Based on other people's observations, the low-end and dynamics of the Carbon might be a bit ahead of a BHSE where midrange liquidity and soundstage may be better.

I went with the Carbon mainly for the cost and simplicity.
For those other options, I probably wouldn't want to be limited to stock tubes. And these days it seems very hard to find good matched EL34 tubes for reasonable prices.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back