STAX SR-Ω (SR-Omega) '' The Legendary OMEGA ''
Dec 7, 2023 at 5:20 PM Post #211 of 258
T8000 is not a good amp for the money. T1 with ccs mod is probably a better amp.

Ive heard the omega/t8000 combo and preferred the Mjolnir Carbon significantly to the T8000.

I think at T8000 price point if you’re thinking tubes the move would be headamp bhse or maybe the eksonic Areas (haven’t heard but based on similar design).
Thanks for the adice...I have been a Stax owner for 40 years, and have had most of the various models up to the Omega 1's, which I bought in 1994 with the SRM-T1.
As a longtime Stax patriot i had hoped the new 8000 would be an improvement. It now appears I should look at the non-Stax amps for better sonics/value.
I have had to return to regular headphone listening due to the fact that my wife is recovering from a broken ankle, right next to my listening room.
I would appreciate any other suggestions you might have regarding amps for the Omega's....what is ccs? I am new to mods.

Dec 7, 2023 at 6:13 PM Post #212 of 258
Thanks for the adice...I have been a Stax owner for 40 years, and have had most of the various models up to the Omega 1's, which I bought in 1994 with the SRM-T1.
As a longtime Stax patriot i had hoped the new 8000 would be an improvement. It now appears I should look at the non-Stax amps for better sonics/value.
I have had to return to regular headphone listening due to the fact that my wife is recovering from a broken ankle, right next to my listening room.
I would appreciate any other suggestions you might have regarding amps for the Omega's....what is ccs? I am new to mods.

Stax has intentionally not created over powered amps since the srm-t2 was part of the reason they went bankrupt back in the 90s.

Kevin Gilmore has designed (for free) a number of next tier amplifiers which many builders produce, even including an improved version of the T2 which Eksonic sells. Mjolnir Audio and Headamp also sell Kevin Gilmore amps with commendable warranty/service (headamp is also an official Stax dealer).

If you’re savoy to engineering there is a way to modify the T1 and srm-006t Stax amps to improve performance called the CCS mod. This alone would put it slightly above any of the standard Stax models. Mjolnir Audio has a section on their website where they second-hand sell modified ones.

A quick run down which you can find on a number of different places here would be in terms of performance:

( available commercial offerings only)
Tier 1: eksonic T2
Tier 2: headamp bhse, eksonic Aeras, Mjolnir Carbon
Tier 3: Mjolnir kgsshv, Mjolnir KGST
Tier 4: Headamp aristaeus, Mjolnir Novem , tied with Stax’s better amps

I would say for a real performance boost you’ll want to stick with tier 2 or tier 1 if budget allows but there is a long wait on the T2.

There are a few other amps from newer builders but most have been found to be pretty awful (stay away from Woo and viva): https://www.head-fi.org/threads/under-the-hood-electrostatic-amp-photos.967229/

Last edited:
Dec 7, 2023 at 6:31 PM Post #214 of 258
Stax has intentionally not created over powered amps since the srm-t2 was part of the reason they went bankrupt back in the 90s.

Kevin Gilmore has designed (for free) a number of next tier amplifiers which many builders produce, even including an improved version of the T2 which Eksonic sells. Mjolnir Audio and Headamp also sell Kevin Gilmore amps with commendable warranty/service (headamp is also an official Stax dealer).

If you’re savoy to engineering there is a way to modify the T1 and srm-006t Stax amps to improve performance called the CCS mod. This alone would put it slightly above any of the standard Stax models. Mjolnir Audio has a section on their website where they second-hand sell modified ones.

A quick run down which you can find on a number of different places here would be in terms of performance:

( available commercial offerings only)
Tier 1: eksonic T2
Tier 2: headamp bhse, eksonic Aeras, Mjolnir Carbon
Tier 3: Mjolnir kgsshv, Mjolnir KGST
Tier 4: Headamp aristaeus, Mjolnir Novem , tied with Stax’s better amps

I would say for a real performance boost you’ll want to stick with tier 2 or tier 1 if budget allows but there is a long wait on the T2.

There are a few other amps from newer builders but most have been found to be pretty awful (stay away from Woo and viva): https://www.head-fi.org/threads/under-the-hood-electrostatic-amp-photos.967229/
Hi Chefguru:

Thanks for all of these references...this is great and just what I need. I am a lifetime audio/headphone fanatic, and look forward to doing my due diligence before investing. I am wondering whether it would be worth sending my vintage SRM T-1 to Mjolnir for his legacy updates?
It is essentially mint, and functions flawlessly.

Attachments

• Stax Omega-SRM-t1-ED-1.pdf
    274.4 KB · Views: 0
Dec 8, 2023 at 12:30 AM Post #217 of 258
Well, it’s good to know that the T2 is no longer alone in that tier.
The megatron xl and xxl would also be top tier but no one is currently offering those commercially.

I have a regular megatron and I would place it something like tier 1.5. I believe Mjolnir said he would be releasing more of these next year. So that’s an option as well.

Back to the T1 ccs question, with the modification the amp wil be similar but quiet a KGST. So good improvement but if you want a proper upgrade I would still recommend bhse , carbon , Aeras

Dec 8, 2023 at 12:36 AM Post #218 of 258
Thanks, I was looking at the bhse this evening along with a video testimonial.
I also sent along an email to t2/Aeras group, hoping to learn more.
I really look forward to listening to them and compare if possible.
I am listening to the SRM T-1 through the Omega 1's and I have a hard time imagining what could be better.
Steven Ray Vaughn's guitar is simply stunning through the combination.

Dec 8, 2023 at 1:30 AM Post #219 of 258
I am listening to the SRM T-1 through the Omega 1's and I have a hard time imagining what could be better.
I should be able to offer some firsthand knowledge on the differences between the Omega through the T1 and Eksonic T2 in the near future. I currently have a T1S and any day now Kerry should be emailing me to tell me my T2 is ready for shipping.

Dec 8, 2023 at 2:01 PM Post #221 of 258
Great, I look forward to your comparison between the two amps,
By the way, can you give me an idea about the cost/delivery of the T2?
I ordered back in late February. Back then the price was $13k but they adjust prices every few months. I opted to have a pass through added for $500

Dec 8, 2023 at 4:56 PM Post #223 of 258
Well at the end of the day, it’s imo the best headphone ever made so not that surprising :). T2 will bring it up a click or two though

Dec 8, 2023 at 9:20 PM Post #225 of 258
Nice start to the weekend here in the Equator with the Omega and some music from QQ Music. :)

IMG_1220.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back