STAX: *****-SB versus non-SB adapters...
Feb 10, 2008 at 3:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

d.phens

100+ Head-Fier
Has anybody listened to, say both SRD-6SB and SRD-6?
What's the difference between them? I saw an older post where somebody wondered that SRD-6SB sounded better than SRD7. Well that's against logic but I'm willing to accept some paranormal phenomena - especially if I need no DC power converter to use the adapter in Europe too.

Feb 10, 2008 at 5:16 PM Post #2 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by d.phens /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Has anybody listened to, say both SRD-6SB and SRD-6?
What's the difference between them? I saw an older post where somebody wondered that SRD-6SB sounded better than SRD7. Well that's against logic but I'm willing to accept some paranormal phenomena - especially if I need no DC power converter to use the adapter in Europe too.

I've had both versions here and have never noticed any major difference between the two. The SB derives it's bias voltage from the secondary of the left step up transformer so while this could have some detrimental effects on the sound there is also the lack of AC line voltage and that is also bound to have some effect in the tiny chassis.

Feb 10, 2008 at 7:31 PM Post #3 of 17
Hey, if spritzer doesn't notice the difference, neither will any of us. I for one couldn't hear a definite quality difference between my SRD-6sb and SRD-7-- if anything I think the sb might have been very slightly better. The only issue with the self-biasing boxes is that they can cut out occasionally if the volume is very low or during very quiet passages, but IME rarely enough so as not to be a serious issue.

Mar 4, 2008 at 1:52 AM Post #4 of 17
So, would you say there's less difference between the two boxes than between let's say SRXmk3 vs. Gamma headphones?

BTW, did anybody try putting PRO bias staxen into ***SB box?

Mar 4, 2008 at 5:53 AM Post #6 of 17
Yeah, the problem with the SB boxes, if there is one, is that they need a little volume to make the bias charging kick in. The threshold on this depends on whether the music has long silent stretches or not, but if it does have silence, as with some orchestral pieces, you'll need more than quiet listening volume to keep the SB box active. Medium listening volume will do the trick, or slightly louder music, but every now and then you will notice that it's only an SB box.

Sound quality, though, is really not a concern. SRD-6 or 7, self-biasing or wall power, the amp will matter more than the transformer box.

Mar 5, 2008 at 1:50 AM Post #7 of 17
Which power amp would you recommend? T-amps are known to be sensitive to R.

Mar 5, 2008 at 1:54 AM Post #8 of 17
Any vintage solid state one that would sound greeeeeeeeeat after cleaning + cap replacement? I guess you don't need 100W of power so I perhaps won't have to fight collectors and vinage lovers which don't care about 20W rms (or I may be wrong).

Mar 5, 2008 at 8:02 AM Post #9 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by d.phens /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Any vintage solid state one that would sound greeeeeeeeeat after cleaning + cap replacement? I guess you don't need 100W of power so I perhaps won't have to fight collectors and vinage lovers which don't care about 20W rms (or I may be wrong).

You only need about 5w on the transformers so there are plenty of good amps out there that you can use. The prices for the old behemoths are very high but some of the older lower powered amps are still expensive. Some are based on hype but some just sound good and people know it.

Mar 5, 2008 at 12:27 PM Post #10 of 17
How would you compare T-amp to some of the better of those amps?
Is there any difference in models using serious FETs and those with opamps (although you don't overload them but rather the opposite)?
Any recommendation for an underrated low-power FET amp / receiver sold in Europe?

Mar 5, 2008 at 1:40 PM Post #11 of 17
I really don't like the T-amp and would rather have most vintage amps over it but at less then 100$ it is an attractive option. If you want to DIY I'd just build something simple like a Firstwatt F2 and mount the Stax transformers internally. It should beat most amp for the price and it is fine for driving efficient speakers and headphones. As for other amps it's not something I'm into so I don't know.

Mar 6, 2008 at 2:27 AM Post #12 of 17
You surprised me as hell. Haven't you tried other Class T amps (41hz.com Amp11, Charlize, Super T-amp)?
I think that the fact yeo of diyparadise as a person really obsessed with sound sells a Tripath based amp along with passive trnsformer-coupled attenuator (which is over $300) may mean it's worth sounding.
It surprised me even more because you're a fan of electrostats so I thought you appreciate detail very much.

On the F2 I found no special info. How demanding is the built considering time and money (components)?
Would it come even cheaper than buying a low-output vintage amp?

Mar 6, 2008 at 2:50 AM Post #13 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by spritzer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I really don't like the T-amp and would rather have most vintage amps over it but at less then 100$ it is an attractive option. If you want to DIY I'd just build something simple like a Firstwatt F2 and mount the Stax transformers internally. It should beat most amp for the price and it is fine for driving efficient speakers and headphones. As for other amps it's not something I'm into so I don't know.

People looking for a cheap 'stat-energizer driver should also keep open the option of low-wattage studio monitor amps -- couple them with a regular headphone amp doing preamp duty.

Though I admit I'm partial to vintage solid state as well.

I bought a Rotel RA-820BX to drive 'stat energizers, and aside from the total lack of eq or even a tone knob or, hey, call me nutty, lack of an 'off' switch for the speaker terminals, i'm quite satisfied with how it drives an SRD-7.

And it's rated at a measly 25 watts RMS into 8 ohms. The manual gives me a chuckle though, because it also offers a PMPO rating of 120W per channel.

Mar 6, 2008 at 5:55 AM Post #14 of 17
Personal monitor amp - that sounds very very promising. I have real affinity to studio gear.
What brand would you recommend? I guess not Samson :p

Mar 6, 2008 at 6:16 AM Post #15 of 17

Users who are viewing this thread

Back