STAX: *****-SB versus non-SB adapters...
Mar 6, 2008 at 6:23 AM Post #16 of 17
The Ashly SRA-120 was one model recommended to me as a good power amp.

Mar 6, 2008 at 8:16 AM Post #17 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by d.phens /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You surprised me as hell. Haven't you tried other Class T amps (41hz.com Amp11, Charlize, Super T-amp)?
I think that the fact yeo of diyparadise as a person really obsessed with sound sells a Tripath based amp along with passive trnsformer-coupled attenuator (which is over $300) may mean it's worth sounding.
It surprised me even more because you're a fan of electrostats so I thought you appreciate detail very much.

On the F2 I found no special info. How demanding is the built considering time and money (components)?
Would it come even cheaper than buying a low-output vintage amp?

I'm not that much of a fan of anything switching as it just doesn't sound good to me. It's the new hi-fi sound that I don't really like and depending on where you are in the world you can and old Class A or AB amp for about the same money.

Detail is fine but overblown detail is certainly not for me. Cheap silver wires and the like deliver it in spades and it is one of the reasons why I sold the He90. I mainly like planars because the they are always musical and simply sound right all of the time. It's more about the whole picture being good rather then some one aspect.

There are at least two build log for the F2 here so try searching for "Firstwatt F2" with the quotation marks in place. The cost is hard to put a finger on as it depends on how much crap material you use. Heat sinks and transformers should be easy to rip from old components and the caps can cost a lot or not that much depending on how much quality you want.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back