STAX or HD800?
Oct 15, 2009 at 5:15 AM Post #31 of 112
Quote:

Originally Posted by david1978jp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't really think words can describe the difference between those two types of headphones. Should you buy used Stax ($100-$200) to familiar with its sound first? Beside it is easy to resale cheap Stax and get most of your money back.

IMO, this is a common misconception as not all Stax sound alike. The O2, Lambdas, and Gammas all sound very different from each other which is also IMO of course.

Oct 15, 2009 at 6:36 AM Post #32 of 112
Quote:

Originally Posted by moonboy403 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
IMO, this is a common misconception as not all Stax sound alike. The O2, Lambdas, and Gammas all sound very different from each other which is also IMO of course.

Yes, I agree, they sound different. However, if one never listen to any earspearkers, it can be difficult to image the earspeaker sound; a basic setup should give him certain idea. Is there any place people can try earspeakers out?

Oct 15, 2009 at 6:55 AM Post #33 of 112
Quote:

Yes, I agree, they sound different. However, if one never listen to any earspearkers, it can be difficult to image the earspeaker sound; a basic setup should give him certain idea. Is there any place people can try earspeakers out?

Then we just have a difference in opinion which is perfectly fine.

Going to meets is as good as a chance as any in having a chance to audition Stax. As a matter of facts, wherever Mr. Stax/N3rdling goes, he brings at least 6 different Stax models and 4 different amps.
biggrin.gif

Oct 15, 2009 at 11:11 AM Post #34 of 112
Hey, I do it to let more people experience the 'Stax sound', regardless of whether or not they enjoy that sound.
smily_headphones1.gif
I think if somebody wants to move to the next step, they should at least hear some electrostats to determine whether or not that sound signature is for them. If any of you are in SoCal, stop by the upcoming meet and I'd be glad to give you all the listening time you need. Gary, I'd love to see you go as I think I'd love your K1K rig and I think you said you wanted to spend more time with some Stax.
biggrin.gif

For the OP:
You really do need to audition both setups to determine which one fits your preferences. There are people that really like the electrostat sound, and there are some that don't like it. Nobody can tell you which signature you'll like more. Personally I think the HD800 is one of the very best dynamic cans I've ever heard (and I've heard almost everything) but it still doesn't give me the enjoyment that electrostats bring. It is the closest I've heard a dynamic come in terms of speed, detail, dynamics, and linearity to matching electrostats, but I don't fully appreciate the signature because the soundstage is too artificial for my liking. The soundstage is always enormous. It's impressive at first listen, but gets really annoying to me after a couple minutes. If the soundstage wasn't like this I think I'd honestly love this headphone. I think this characteristic also gives it a bit of a lack of soul. I personally think a Lambda system is a better choice than an HD800 system and an O2 system is in another league, but only your ears can decide that for you.

Oct 15, 2009 at 2:01 PM Post #35 of 112
Quote:

Originally Posted by pzm9pzm9 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This is true. I might save for next generation STAX or something outrageously innovative, until then enjoy HD800.
Any prediction for HD800 price going down toward Xmas?

I am waiting for HD7xx, that would be my cup of tea.

Oct 15, 2009 at 7:52 PM Post #36 of 112
My HD800 on my Eddie Current ZDT is pretty darn close to my high-end stats (O2, HE60, Jade) on my maxed Woo GES, where both the amps and the phones cost the about the same amount. If a person gets either combo it could keep them happy till the end of days.

What I like about my stats is the little extra bit of refinement and speed over the HD800, but it's only a small upgrade until you move to a $5,000 - $6,500 electrostatic amp (WES, A-10, KGBH SE).

Oct 16, 2009 at 2:01 AM Post #37 of 112
more I dig, more I want STAX & HD800!
a little more digging, these prices are killing me!
$6000 on static amp, $2000 on O2, thats like buying an old used car!
If this is like a circumcision, (permanent treatment) I would just get it!

Oct 16, 2009 at 7:52 AM Post #39 of 112
Quote:

Damn the voltage differences! Are we really living in the 21st century?

South Korea uses only AC 220V 60Hz, not 110 or 100V.
A few decades ago, both were used.
I live in Seoul, South Korea.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 16, 2009 at 12:09 PM Post #40 of 112
Quote:

Originally Posted by yhmzzz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

So in the US, we are 110V. & for Japan, they are 100V?

Oct 16, 2009 at 1:07 PM Post #42 of 112
Quote:

So in the US, we are 110V. & for Japan, they are 100V?

The US is actually 117.5V and Japan is 100V. US STAX units are marked 117V and Japanese units are marked 100V.

Oct 16, 2009 at 6:13 PM Post #43 of 112
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dinan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The US is actually 117.5V and Japan is 100V. US STAX units are marked 117V and Japanese units are marked 100V.

I have a few Japanese 100 volt electronics, they work fine without down converters in US. I do, now, have down converter for everything. It's better safe than sorry. However, my friends have their Japanese fans, washing machine... for more than 10 years without down converter, everything is still good.

Oct 16, 2009 at 8:30 PM Post #44 of 112
Quote:

I have a few Japanese 100 volt electronics, they work fine without down converters in US. I do, now, have down converter for everything. It's better safe than sorry. However, my friends have their Japanese fans, washing machine... for more than 10 years without down converter, everything is still good.

While you can run 100V electronics on 117V, you stress the power supply. The effects on the longevity of the component are simply based on the tolerances of the power supply. Some 100V components will go forever on 117V and others will go up in flames. The 100V STAX gear seems to be tolerant of 117V but I personally would properly voltage convert it. Keep in mind that the average US voltage is in the 120V range and that in many cases pushes to 126V+. That is more than a 20% variance on 100V.

Oct 16, 2009 at 10:20 PM Post #45 of 112
Quote:

Originally Posted by yhmzzz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

Sorry. In korea all US military post use US style 110v and 220v, same as US offical/ contractor housing. Also most hotles have both.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back