Stax Omega II - Possible To Use Portably?
Jun 7, 2004 at 5:37 AM Post #31 of 107
You are the on right track. The ectrostatics are not portable. Just about any other compromise is acheiveable. There are so many killer portable phones out there (hello? etys?) that it is clearly not worth the potential damage (as well as you aren't concerned about being stared at), and the extra effort to make the electros portable; Why not strap a couple of garbage cans on your head? Great bass there.

Jun 7, 2004 at 5:49 AM Post #32 of 107
Quote:

Originally Posted by Norbert
You are the on right track. The ectrostatics are not portable. Just about any other compromise is acheiveable. There are so many killer portable phones out there (hello? etys?) that it is clearly not worth the potential damage (as well as you aren't concerned about being stared at), and the extra effort to make the electros portable; Why not strap a couple of garbage cans on your head? Great bass there.

I already use MDR-CD3000 portably. The Omega II is actually quite an improvement in the size department!

The only headphone I have yet heard that I felt better suited my preferences then the MDR-CD3000, was the Omega II. Indeed, it looks as if their may be some glimmer of hope for a portable solution.

Maybe a SR-212 driver unit(like Gilmore was using - it's actually quite small when i looked at the specs) + a small(but maybe little heavy) rechargable battery pack + suitable case to attach to belt.......

:)

-Chris

Jun 7, 2004 at 5:51 AM Post #33 of 107
I can't wait to say I told you so.

Heh.

Seriously, though: some things in the world are just bad ideas. Sometimes, these things have even been done before (see Gilmore's setup). However, they're still bad ideas; nothing will change that. One could, probably, wade into a pool of alligators wearing a suit made of steak and perform underwater aerobics. You might survive; maybe you'd deliver a performance worthy of the Olympics. No matter how you slice it, though, that's a bad idea, and so is this.

- Chris

Jun 7, 2004 at 5:55 AM Post #34 of 107
Quote:

So you would like to put your Magnapans on the bus? Get a large enough battery pack and walk with your ROTEL, around the neighborhood for some good tunes? Portable is differernt than home my friend. Do I see any help here?

But, Magnapans would not fit on my head......

A sr-212 driver unit is quite small.......

A battery pack that can last 5 or 6 hours? I don't know exactly how big of a battery is required.....

I have a dedicated listening room/stereo system for home listening.......the headphones are for my portable (and some computer) use.

-Chris

Jun 7, 2004 at 6:25 AM Post #35 of 107
Don't do it, Chris. Take their advice. Your logic is not entirely flawed in that you want the best sound for the needs you have identified. But the risk you would be taking of damaging them is just way too high. Get a pair of Etys for portable use and be done with it. I've tried all sorts of things in planes but nothing else provides the isolation (other than the other IEMs that I have not tried).

The other day, believe it or not, I was listening to my Jecklin Floats as I walked through the airport in Atlanta! Ya, I got a few stares... well, more than a few, and it was done for that purpose, more or less. But when it comes to portable listening, isloation and convenience come first.

Jun 7, 2004 at 7:01 AM Post #36 of 107
If youre realy wanting to use omega2 as portabel, why sacrifice the soundquality of source and amp? Just get 2 steel/alominium-cases, theres plenty of places online who make them for some amount of money if you cant find localy. Just make sure you can fit carbattery, transformer and amp/cdp to each, oohh and have some holes at top that can be closed with screwed plates. The ultimate omega2 portable, as well as omega2 transport solution.

Jun 7, 2004 at 1:26 PM Post #37 of 107
You need to define exactly portable use.

For airplane use they are just plain too open. So you have to play
them loud enough that the person sitting next to you gets upset.
Not the least of which these days is the problems getting them on
the airplane in the first place. With the battery et all.

However for portable use in a hotel room and such, it works very well.
So you can put the amplifer and battery in your checked luggage and
then you take the headphones on the airplane with you along with
a small solid state amp and a pair of ety's.

A single 12 volt 7 amphour battery will run everything including
the cd player for about 14 hours on a single charge.

Now if someone would just make a portable sacd player i would be
all set.

Jun 7, 2004 at 1:42 PM Post #38 of 107
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wmcmanus
The other day, believe it or not, I was listening to my Jecklin Floats as I walked through the airport in Atlanta! Ya, I got a few stares... well, more than a few, and it was done for that purpose, more or less. But when it comes to portable listening, isloation and convenience come first.

LOL, Wayne you are crazy. I got stares when I wore them at a headphone meet...I can only imagine what it would be like in a crowded, public area!

Jun 7, 2004 at 2:51 PM Post #39 of 107
Quote:

Originally Posted by kevin gilmore
You need to define exactly portable use.

Open headphones and noisy environments are an obvious misfit, but there's more than one kind of "portable".
Sometimes at night I like to drive to one of my favorite places in nature, especially a beautiful pond that used to be my playground during childhood, carrying a Stax Lambda, a SRM/Xh amp(predecessor of the SRM 212?), a PCDP and a 5 meter extension cord.
The amp needs 12 V and with the help of a cheap adapter it can be powered by the car battery.To me this tiny amp seems to perform better driven by the battery than by the stock PS, but maybe it's the environment.
Imagine : Moonlight, stars, the magical pond, and a fantastic soundtrack with the electrostatic speed.
lambda.gif

Or for you Americans, think about sunset at Grand Canyon
icon10.gif

In fact I'm keeping this little amp only for such occasions, at home I have no use for it.

Jun 7, 2004 at 4:33 PM Post #41 of 107
Quote:

Two quotes of wisdom from my favorite movie, see if you can get it:

pssh, movies. from one of my favorite books: the heart of darkness by joseph conrad.

Jun 7, 2004 at 6:36 PM Post #42 of 107
Chris,

Yes it can be sued portably, but I wouldn't do so. There are cans made to be sued in a portable situation, and will sound awesome when used in that situation. The Omega II lets in so much volume from the outside that they would be hard to power for long at the volume needed.

For that kind of money try something like the Ultimate Ears UE-10 PRO, Shure E5, or something else in that price range other than theO2.

Jun 7, 2004 at 8:41 PM Post #43 of 107
Quote:

Originally Posted by bangraman
The level of out-of-control geekness exhibited by this thread is simultaneously amusing and disturbing.
tongue.gif

LOL, no fair using reason in this thread, we just won't have it!
tongue.gif

Jun 7, 2004 at 10:54 PM Post #44 of 107
Quote:

Originally Posted by nogrot
pssh, movies. from one of my favorite books: the heart of darkness by joseph conrad.

i'm pretty sure 'never get out of the boat' was not in the book.

Jun 7, 2004 at 11:41 PM Post #45 of 107
What about using a SRM-212 to drive them? It's not really battery powered, but it runs off of 12vdc so you could run it off of a ton of AAs, a pair of 6v lantern batteries, laptop batteries, even a car battery. It's got the Stax "pro" connector and the same 580v (I think) bias as the other stax amps, jus tin a smaller package. Under $300.

Edit: Just read the thread, sorry to sound redundant.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back