Stax Omega II - Possible To Use Portably?
Jun 8, 2004 at 1:36 PM Post #46 of 107
Hi,

I have used my lambda pros portably for years using the SRD-P, and now an SRD-X as back-up. These use 8 C-cell batteries as a power source and have the "pro-only" 5-pin connector so you may choose which earspeaker you wish to use. The SRD-X has a standard 6-pin and a 5-pin. Yes the thing is heavy, you are carrying 8 C-cells with you. The batteries last about 60 hours. But, imagine sitting out in the middle of nowhere listening to a favorite CD (or DAT) on a pair of Stax Lambda Pros and you get the picture. I used to take mine to the gym, the market, on airplanes, anywhere I wanted. It is especially good in hotel rooms after long days of meetings.

I have heard my SRD-P with the Omega-II's at Yama's with very satisfactory results. I suggest that you look on the web or e-bay and try to get one of these devices used if you want to go portable.

Maybe I shouldn't have written this. I think gsferrari is to militant for team Stax.
lambda.gif
(This is said purely in jest. I do not want to incur his wrath)

Jun 8, 2004 at 4:01 PM Post #49 of 107
Thank you for the information. Seems I have few people actually providing useful information in this thread. Thanks for being one of the few that is helpful.

-Chris

Quote:

Originally Posted by pspivak
Hi,

I have used my lambda pros portably for years using the SRD-P, and now an SRD-X as back-up. These use 8 C-cell batteries as a power source and have the "pro-only" 5-pin connector so you may choose which earspeaker you wish to use. The SRD-X has a standard 6-pin and a 5-pin. Yes the thing is heavy, you are carrying 8 C-cells with you. The batteries last about 60 hours. But, imagine sitting out in the middle of nowhere listening to a favorite CD (or DAT) on a pair of Stax Lambda Pros and you get the picture. I used to take mine to the gym, the market, on airplanes, anywhere I wanted. It is especially good in hotel rooms after long days of meetings.

I have heard my SRD-P with the Omega-II's at Yama's with very satisfactory results. I suggest that you look on the web or e-bay and try to get one of these devices used if you want to go portable.

Maybe I shouldn't have written this. I think gsferrari is to militant for team Stax.
lambda.gif
(This is said purely in jest. I do not want to incur his wrath)

Jun 8, 2004 at 4:07 PM Post #50 of 107
Quote:

Originally Posted by gsferrari
Someone please tell me this thread is a joke....because 1st of April is LOOOOONG gone
frown.gif
eek.gif
LOL

I just don't 'get it', I'm afraid.

I asked simple, straight-forward questions.

A joke? I suppose if having the ultimate portable sound system is 'a joke', then I intend on being the butt of this joke. I suspect, though, that the sound produced will not be anything to laugh about.

-Chris

Jun 8, 2004 at 4:10 PM Post #51 of 107
Quote:

Originally Posted by KR...
So let me get this straight, you brought the Omega2's for just Portable and Computer use?
confused.gif

No. I have not 'bought' the Omega II. I am strongly considering the purchase of the Omega II for portable and computer use. I heard this device on June 5th. I realized that this is the only headphone that I felt was superior sounding, based on my preferences, compared to my MDR-CD3000. I posted this thread in hopes of finding feasible options to portably power/amp the electrostatic headphone.

-Chris

Jun 8, 2004 at 5:15 PM Post #52 of 107
WmAx - no doubt the Omega-2 is one of the finest headphones out there but it is not a "real" headphone if you look at it from the understanding of a common human being.

These are speaker replacements and even speaker substitutes and can match very very expensive speakers for performance.

The "HEADPHONES" you are thinking about are what people use everyday at work and on the road...portable enjoyment...fun in a small and light package...cheap to boot.

The Omega-2 is something that stays at home on a dedicated rig with a nice box to keep it clean and protected.

PLEASE dont mix up the two.

I highly recommend a Shure or Etymotics Research Budget ear-canal headphone. This will give you superb sound quality while rejecting all external sound.

If you really want to splurge then consider the Sensaphonics or Ultimate Ears products...

By all means buy a Omega-2 but understand its targeted application.

What you are trying to do is akin to driving a Formula 1 car on the crowded streets of New York....glamorous no doubt but ultimately useless...

The noise, dirt and the potential for attracting muggers and thieves et al is just not worth it. It will not sound as good as you expect.

How do I sway you from this mad path of self annihilation that you are on?
very_evil_smiley.gif

here is my solution - buy all the things you will need to go portable...use the Omega-2 and also get a UE-10 and a top end portable amp. Compare the two. I have no doubt which one you will be using and which one will go back to the chopping block
wink.gif

Cheers!

Jun 8, 2004 at 6:13 PM Post #53 of 107
I don't understand why you guys are so adament about him not using Omegas the way he wants to. Granted it is extremely unpractical, but I wouldn't mind being able to take my Omegas with me if I wanted to.

Jun 8, 2004 at 6:19 PM Post #54 of 107
Quote:

Originally Posted by Canman
Granted it is extremely unpractical

Thats why
wink.gif

Seriously - they would come undone in a noisy environment. Better to guide people the right way rather than watch them do something foolish and end up hating the headphones....which I think is the most likely outcome of this experiment.

I recommend that he try it out and learn the hard way...

Cheers!

Jun 8, 2004 at 6:33 PM Post #55 of 107
Quote:

You need to define exactly portable use.

^^^

You guys seem to assume that WmAx would use these while walking around, riding a bus, etc.

For all intended purposes, while this may be what he wants to do, it is also possible that it is *not*. Certainly, portable cans, or semi-portable cans are very practical if you're going to go on the road or be doing a lot of traveling, but not in the traditional sense.

Anyway, if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all....

Jun 8, 2004 at 6:36 PM Post #56 of 107
Ok let us try to categorize portability...

If he can sit down at an airport and listen to music then this would not be a bad idea at all...

If he wants to chow at a restaurant then again not too bad an idea...noise may be a factor in both cases...

If he wants to listen at home...take it to his office and listen again...then again not a bad idea...

If he wants to listen on the road and in the car and on a bus/aircraft etc. then its a very bad idea...

I dunnno...I would just get a pelican case for a KGSS or something, poke all cables and interconnects into it, get a vintage PCDP, throw in the Omega-2 and stroll around looking for a nice spot in the park with a power outlet
wink.gif

Jun 8, 2004 at 6:36 PM Post #57 of 107
Quote:

Originally Posted by gsferrari
Thats why
wink.gif

Seriously - they would come undone in a noisy environment. Better to guide people the right way rather than watch them do something foolish and end up hating the headphones....which I think is the most likely outcome of this experiment.

I recommend that he try it out and learn the hard way...

Cheers!

Speculation.

First, you assume I will be using them in noisy environments...... this is not inherant of all portable situations. Actually, nearly all portable situations that I am involved, background noise it low to moderate levels only.

-Chris

Jun 8, 2004 at 6:40 PM Post #58 of 107
Quote:

If he wants to listen on the road and in the car and on a bus/aircraft etc. then its a very bad idea...

One of the circumstances I use my headphones is in my car. The noise level in the car at highway speeds is not signficant. Perhaps I would not be able to enjoy a classical piece with very quiet passages, but I mainly use electronic/pop type music while driving, specifically to keep me alert.

-Chris

Jun 8, 2004 at 7:51 PM Post #59 of 107
Quote:

Originally Posted by WmAx
One of the circumstances I use my headphones is in my car. The noise level in the car at highway speeds is not signficant. Perhaps I would not be able to enjoy a classical piece with very quiet passages, but I mainly use electronic/pop type music while driving, specifically to keep me alert.

-Chris

I believe it is illegal to wear headphones while driving. Either way, it is dangerous to block out outside noises while driving a car. Practicality is one thing, but putting a life in danger is another.

Jun 8, 2004 at 7:56 PM Post #60 of 107
I don't buy the practicality argument. Everyone has their own limits.

A few people may not find strapping on 50 lbs of lead acid batteries to be inpractical.

And vinyl is anything but practical and convenient, yet it is still popular.

People will go through great lengths for quality.

LOL, please post pics of yourself wearing them if you ever get a crazy portable Stax rig going.
biggrin.gif

-Ed

Users who are viewing this thread

Back