Stax Omega 2 or 4070 for me?
May 23, 2010 at 12:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 34

Lunatique

1000+ Head-Fier
I've heard the Omega 2 (007 MKII) with the 717 amp recently and I really loved how natural it sounded, and how that even if it's a bit rolled-off in the 30Hz region, the bass is still well extended, punchy, lush, and authoritative anyway, which is something no other headphone I've ever heard could pull off--not even the DX1000 or W1000X or D5000. The only three other headphones I've heard that isn't rolled-off down at 30Hz region are the D7000, M50, and ES-10.

I've been told that MK1 of the 007 extends deeper in the bass, while the 4070 has less bass extension, and I want to confirm if this is really true. I always thought that closed-back design by default will have more and extended bass, so I don't know why the 4070 actually has less than the Omega 2. I personally really like the bass on the D7000, and I'd like to know which Stax model actually has the most similar bass to the D7000.

May 23, 2010 at 2:56 PM Post #2 of 34
Do you mean Omega 1 as in SR Omega (rare and very expensive) or O2 mk1?
You will not find the sloppy, unrefined, monotone bass of the Denon in any Stax headphone IMO.

May 23, 2010 at 7:34 PM Post #3 of 34
The 4070's are a tad more neutral on the bass but both render bass as powerful and faithful to the recording. In regards to the Denon's bass, I always found it very colored, bloated and exaggerated, unlike the staxen.

May 23, 2010 at 11:03 PM Post #4 of 34

Quote:
Do you mean Omega 1 as in SR Omega (rare and very expensive) or O2 mk1?
You will not find the sloppy, unrefined, monotone bass of the Denon in any Stax headphone IMO.

I meant the 007 MK1 (or I think that's what people are talking about when they say the latest O2 isn't as extended in the bass).

I'm mostly talking how deep and punchy the bass is on the D7000. It sounds much closer to full-range speaker system than most headphones I've heard. The 007MKII pretty much matched the D7000's bass presence and fullness, but the Stax is much more natural and textured--that's why I want one.

Quote:
The 4070's are a tad more neutral on the bass but both render bass as powerful and faithful to the recording. In regards to the Denon's bass, I always found it very colored, bloated and exaggerated, unlike the staxen.

What about overall performance (besides the fact that one is closed-back)? Soundstage? Treble and Mids? How similar are they? Since I really only have the funds for just one, I want to make sure I get the right one, and it's hard to find both to test.

As for the amp, since the 717 is discontinued, is the 727 a bad idea? I keep seeing people saying how the 717 is "far" better than the 727, but is there proof of that? The 727 doesn't seem to be available in some Asian countries anyway--most are still selling the 717 it seems. Why is that?

I know people will try to recommend the Blue Hawaii or Woo amps, but I am just not ready to spend that kind of crazy money on an amp yet. This new venture into Stax headphones is already very damaging to my finances, and I'm entering it by getting the flagship model right off the bat (mostly because it's the only one I've listened to).

May 24, 2010 at 1:16 AM Post #5 of 34
I'll tell what they'll tell you: "Go with the 717 or KGSS at almost the same price but not 727!"
smile.gif

May 24, 2010 at 3:25 AM Post #6 of 34
Quote:
As for the amp, since the 717 is discontinued, is the 727 a bad idea? I keep seeing people saying how the 717 is "far" better than the 727, but is there proof of that? The 727 doesn't seem to be available in some Asian countries anyway--most are still selling the 717 it seems. Why is that?  
I know people will try to recommend the Blue Hawaii or Woo amps, but I am just not ready to spend that kind of crazy money on an amp yet. This new venture into Stax headphones is already very damaging to my finances, and I'm entering it by getting the flagship model right off the bat (mostly because it's the only one I've listened to).

So how much does it cost to get a new SRM-717? (I'm just wondering how much it is cheaper than the Headamp KGSS). 

May 25, 2010 at 9:15 AM Post #10 of 34
So has anyone actually done a head-to-head test of the 717 and the 727? I don't understand how it's even possible for a company to release an amp that's "bad" and cannot power their flagship headphones properly. Or are people just being way too picky and splitting hairs here? If the difference between the two would take immense concentration to hear any differences, then perhaps it's not that big of a deal?

May 25, 2010 at 10:28 AM Post #11 of 34

Quote:
So has anyone actually done a head-to-head test of the 717 and the 727? I don't understand how it's even possible for a company to release an amp that's "bad" and cannot power their flagship headphones properly. Or are people just being way too picky and splitting hairs here? If the difference between the two would take immense concentration to hear any differences, then perhaps it's not that big of a deal?

Congratulations, you understand head-fi!

May 25, 2010 at 12:17 PM Post #12 of 34
Where can I buy a new SRM-717?

May 25, 2010 at 2:42 PM Post #15 of 34

Quote:

I have heard, I believe from Spritzer, that the 727 uses a different design because Stax was forced to withdraw the 717 because it violated some patents or copyrights.

Certainly go ahead and check out the 727.  For years I tended not to believe that different amps could sound very different but when I compare the ones I have there are definite differences.  If I could, I would replace most of my current amps with 717's.  If I won the lotto I would buy a bunch of BHSE's instead.  Realistically I think I may try to make the new Gilmore/Spritzer design which is be discussed in the Stax thread.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back