Stax? No Stax? Omega 2s with 007t2?
May 10, 2006 at 6:26 AM Post #46 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn
Based on the above review, as a consumer, I would run out ASAP and grab both a STAX Lambda Pro and an HP2 to enjoy at home.

*looks at sig*

Err, nevermind.
evil_smiley.gif

Only if you assume all consumers want is "nice".

But the point was that Spritzer described the SRX as "soft" and "murky" while extolling the "realism" of the Lambda's. I just wanted to point out what a couple of recording engineers thought.......

May 10, 2006 at 6:28 AM Post #47 of 55
There's an easy solution. Own then all.
biggrin.gif

And since I know Jahn won't sell his Lambdas, guess I gotta find a pair out in Japan.
biggrin.gif

Man, I love my HP2 and SR-X, but I need a circumaural can. After 4 or 6 hours, they kinda start to hurt...
biggrin.gif

Best,

-Jason

May 10, 2006 at 6:31 AM Post #48 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by jjcha
And since I know Jahn won't sell his Lambdas, guess I gotta find a pair out in Japan.
biggrin.gif

Finding a Lambda in Japan is akin to finding a Japanese person in Japan.
biggrin.gif

May 10, 2006 at 7:54 AM Post #49 of 55
Talking about how revealing an electrostat is kind of redundant. They all are but the SR-X is far from the top of the pile. Then there are the people that listen to something for two minutes in an unknown system and then decide they love or hate it. You can’t make an accurate comparison of a piece of equipment in this kind of time. I have fallen into this hole thinking that some thing is more colored when in fact it was much more neutral and it was showing other faults in the system. Then there is also the major factor of predetermine opinion coloring the results.

May 10, 2006 at 5:59 PM Post #50 of 55
Ruppin,

You definitely should go ahead and add the Omega II to your collection. I have a pair, driven by a Rudistor Egmont amplifier, that provides me even more pleasure than I derive from my HD650/Rudistor RP6 combination. The Omegas are magical with classical and jazz recordings that capture the ambience of the performance venue, because they make it so easy for the listener to recreate that space in his or her mind. Sure, they sound dark; but it is a different kind of dark -- one that does not sacrifice the exquisite detail upon which the Omega's seductive qualities are founded. In his seminal essay, darth nut describes it as akin to having the lights turned off during the performance. This didn't make any sense to me until I actually heard the Omegas. Now, when I switch back to the Sennheisers, it literally strikes me as if someone turned the lights back on after I had become accustomed to the dark!

I have not heard the Omegas through any of the Stax amplifiers but I was favorably impressed in the past by brief auditions via a KGSS and an HEV90. These are headphones that deserve excellent amplification and you can troll the forums here for opinions on the relative merits of the many choices open to you. This much is a given: should you decide they are not to your taste, you would have little difficulty disposing of them to another Head-Fi member.

May 11, 2006 at 4:35 AM Post #51 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by spritzer
Talking about how revealing an electrostat is kind of redundant. They all are but the SR-X is far from the top of the pile.

I have listened to hundreds of SOTA speakers and own several very good pairs, I also own Stax 404 phones and the 006t amp but when I want to hear what's on the recording (deep bass and top octave apart) I go continually to the SR-X with the SRD7 transformer. It is the most revealing transducer I have ever heard and I regularly hear hugely-expensive Raven ribbons. I suspect you heard the SRX on a mediocre system years ago and are basing your "soft" "dark" and "enclosed" description on this.

May 11, 2006 at 6:32 PM Post #52 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lloyd297
I have listened to hundreds of SOTA speakers and own several very good pairs, I also own Stax 404 phones and the 006t amp but when I want to hear what's on the recording (deep bass and top octave apart) I go continually to the SR-X with the SRD7 transformer. It is the most revealing transducer I have ever heard and I regularly hear hugely-expensive Raven ribbons. I suspect you heard the SRX on a mediocre system years ago and are basing your "soft" "dark" and "enclosed" description on this.

Nope, I’m comparing them right now on the system in my sig. Rolling some new tubes in the SRM-T1 and comparing them but like I said if you think these are good try the Omegas. In my rig they crush even the mighty HE90. Sure I can't drive the SR-X with the Blue Hawaii (well I could with two hacked extension cables borrowing the bias from the SRM-T1) but I know exactly how the SRM-T1 sounds.
orphsmile.gif

May 12, 2006 at 4:58 AM Post #53 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by spritzer
Nope, I’m comparing them right now on the system in my sig. Rolling some new tubes in the SRM-T1 and comparing them but like I said if you think these are good try the Omegas. In my rig they crush even the mighty HE90. Sure I can't drive the SR-X with the Blue Hawaii (well I could with two hacked extension cables borrowing the bias from the SRM-T1) but I know exactly how the SRM-T1 sounds.
orphsmile.gif

Tell you what....borrow a Nuforce RF9 (or RF8), hook the X-III up and compare. Then report back. I don't rate the X-III that highly on any Stax amp I've heard to date. They just don't come alive like they should....

Jun 25, 2017 at 11:59 AM Post #54 of 55
Hey,
I'm planning to go for speaker set-up for main listening. But want to keep headphone set for some ocasions.
Now have Grado RS2e and Audeze LCD-2 (fazor), but thinking about selling one of these (in reality, I love Grado more...) and maybe try Stax. Just for different sound exprience.
Which model I should look first?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back