Stax? No Stax? Omega 2s with 007t2?
Apr 28, 2006 at 12:32 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 55

Ruppin

100+ Head-Fier
I use a balanced HeadRoom with Senn 650s in the bedroom. In my listening room I vascillate between 650s (Excaliber cable-not balanced), 701s, HF-1s and 325is (rarely) on a Raptor. I have GS-1000s on order.

My one regret at the national meet was that, although I got to listen to Omega 2s, it was a bit noisy and the music was unfamiliar. I wonder if for Classical, Opera and/or Jazz, it would add a dimension to my listening if I were to get the Stax Omega 2s with the new 007t2 amp.

Some people (who will remain unnamed) are not fond of the Stax and feel that my money would be better spent on a high end CD player (I use a computer source in a seperate room, Lossless). In one case, though, my advice is coming from folks who prefer rock.

I liked the Stax at the Meet, but given that I have amps and phones that I like very much, are the Stax better, or as good but different, than dynamics? If so, with what types of music? I'd welcome some advice.

Apr 28, 2006 at 12:51 AM Post #3 of 55
I am not into rock and I would also advise getting a really good CD player. I simply cannot fathom that a computer generated music system can out perform a Top flight CD player in the 3-5K range. I can recommend the Ayre C-7Xe or better yet the Ayre C-5xe. Add to the cost of any CDP, top flight IC's and power cords to achieve the best results.

To me, it makes no sense to acquire the top tier Stax system, without a great source. There are many fine CD players in my suggested price range..

I can't beleive how many folks on Head-fi (often the younger members) who spend oodles on headphone systems, only to drive them with mediocre sound cards or mediocre CD players of DACS.

My system consists of:

Ayre AX-7 integrated amp
Ayre CX-7 CDP
Ayre P-5x Phono stage
Madnum Dynalab Tuner (MD 100->102)
Cardas Golden reference IC's throughout.
Cardas Neutral referenec Speaker cable.
Harbeth Monitor 30 speakers
Shunyata Power Cords and Shunyata Hydra 8.
Soldsteel 6.4 racks.
Regaq P9 TT with Banz Ruby.

Only after getting my system to a high level of performance, sis I consider upper-nd headphone systems. I am using a Stax SRM 717 and 404.

Linn and Naim demonstrated over 25 years ago the rightness of the source first philosophy.

If you do go with the Stax system, give some serious thought to delaying its purchase and working on the source and cable aspects of your system.

Jay

Apr 28, 2006 at 1:02 AM Post #4 of 55
http://www.stax.co.jp/ENG/SRM007T2.html

...under construction...
eek.gif

Ah the new STAX tube amp, when I got my Omega 2s about a month ago the chap we spoke to was talking about this, in recommending that the SRM-007t would not be worth buying with the new model coming out so soon.

Didnt really affect me though, I went solid state with the SRM-717
biggrin.gif

Be nice to see the impressions on this new model when someone here finally (inevitably) gets their sticky little paws on one.

Apr 28, 2006 at 1:05 AM Post #5 of 55
Jaybar,

I appreciate the comment but:

1) My original question was badly worded. My "advisor" thinks the Stax would be waste, period. I could certainly acquire the CD player as well. So please assume good sources. I also failed to mention a VPI Scout Turntable, Lyra Argo cartridge, and a Samuels XR-2 phono stage. My cable and interconnects are DiMarzio.

2) Although I am new to this "audiophile" stuff, there seems to be a debate about using computers as sources. I upload CDs using error correction to a hard drive, send music over ethernet to an airport express and from there to a DAC (headroom Max module or Benchmark DAC-1). I could also use USB.

There seems to be an argument on the threads about whether uploading to a hard drive with error correction then provides "bit-perfect" transport. I am hardly one of the younger members and would welcome enlightenment on the digital source issue.

Nevertheless, I hadn't intended to get into that issue with this question. Please overlook my mentioning sources. I am, at present, more interested in knowing what these particular electorstatics could add to my "collection"

Brian, I don't know, but I hear it should be available shortly. I guess I'd be happy to hear about the current 007t.

To all, thank you for bearing with me as I find my way.

Apr 28, 2006 at 1:05 AM Post #6 of 55
As far as I understand it, the changes in the new amps have little to do with sonics, but more to do with:

1) Making amps purchased in Japan, hard to modify for US and European use and

2) Changes in the grounding, wireing and parts selection to conform with the European standards that are now in place.

I am not saying that any/all of the changes will not have a positive sonic impact (every change in a system has a sonic impact--good or bad), but as this was explained to me, the intention was to drive down the gray market, while expanding the European market.

At the same time, the USA prices have een significantly lowered so that the price differential between goods purchased in the US vs Japan is now somewhat reduced.

Jay

Apr 28, 2006 at 1:24 AM Post #7 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by jaybar
I simply cannot fathom that a computer generated music system can out perform a Top flight CD player in the 3-5K range.

While your view would undoubtedly have much support on head-fi, I think there are excellent arguments to the contrary. I have read a number of posts on audioasylum and equipment reviews in the audiophile press that suggest a USB -> I2S DAC easily rivals a 3-5K CDP.

Apr 28, 2006 at 1:29 AM Post #8 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by bahamaman
While your view would undoubtedly have much support on head-fi, I think there are excellent arguments to the contrary. I have read a number of posts on audioasylum and equipment reviews in the audiophile press that suggest a USB -> I2S DAC easily rivals a 3-5K CDP.

Why USB-->I2S? Is there less jitter?

Apr 28, 2006 at 1:33 AM Post #9 of 55
I am not suggesting that a really good implimentation of a music server will not provide great rusults.

I think Positive-Feedback has been looking at the technical issues and there are significant strengths and weaknesses of a variety of approaches and some even appear to tackle some of the issues of CD based systems.

However, the implementation, done right to be competative with better CD players is not cheap.

What concerns me is the number of younger members who do not understand the fundimenta of putting together a system from the "ground up" and who are very willing to spend lots of $$$$ on great headphones/amps at the expense of things that get the signal to those amps and headphones.. Many of the systems that folks list, seem decidedly "lop-sided" in their priority in my opinion.

The important question is how can we help those just getting into the high -end to better understand the fundimentals of system building.

Regarding the Stax O2 system, I was not impressed with the Omega II's at the meet. Dark, slow, rcessed midrange although ultra smooth highs with a marked bass hump in a narrow band that was very distracting. Since I use the SRM 717/404, I was fully prepared to upgrade to the Omega II's. Now I am scratching my bald head, wondering what is my next move.

Jay

Apr 28, 2006 at 1:48 AM Post #10 of 55
Cyrilix - I lack the technological sophistication to give a competent account of the issue. Here is a link that might help:

http://www.americanwired.com/audio/e...l/offramp.html

jaybar - I could not have said it better, nor could I agree more on your concern over the tendency to focus so much on the headphone piece of the equation as to nearly exclude a consideration of the system's source.

I only hope that, once I hear the Omega II driven by my new Singlepower ES-1, I find myself in disagreement with your final observation
wink.gif

Apr 30, 2006 at 12:33 AM Post #12 of 55
I would still like to know how people feel about the Stax Omega IIs with the Stax tube amps.

Is classical or Jazz really that much better than dynamics assuming good sources.

And if not the Omega IIs, any other current Stax recommended? Why?

Apr 30, 2006 at 3:45 AM Post #13 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ruppin
I would still like to know how people feel about the Stax Omega IIs with the Stax tube amps.

Is classical or Jazz really that much better than dynamics assuming good sources.

And if not the Omega IIs, any other current Stax recommended? Why?

My strong advice: do NOT use a Stax tube (or transistor) amp with their phones. It compromises the sound way too much. Instead, if you must have Stax, buy a Stax "Pro" transformer. Or, if you don't want to shell out big bucks for an Omega 2, buy a vintage Stax SR-XIII phone with SRD-7 transformer for $100-150. IMO it's the best sound (low bass excluded) you can buy at ANY price if used with a top-quality power amp.

Apr 30, 2006 at 3:40 PM Post #14 of 55
Lloyd,

As I said, I am technically ignorant when it comes to audio. What is a "transformer" in the Stax context and what makes one "Pro"? Do you have recommendations from the current Stax line up?

Apr 30, 2006 at 3:56 PM Post #15 of 55

Users who are viewing this thread

Back