Stax Interview and Factory tour 12/12/12
Feb 8, 2013 at 3:48 PM Post #32 of 244
Whew!  So relieved that their HQ survived that encounter with Godzilla.  Go Stax!  Thanks for the coverage Currawong!  ::throws out virtual fist pump::

Feb 8, 2013 at 3:53 PM Post #33 of 244
Thanks for posting and for putting in the time on this, guys.

It's refreshing to see that they go by measurements first and foremost and only bring in subjective listening tests towards the end to confirm what they are hearing.

Feb 8, 2013 at 3:59 PM Post #34 of 244
Thanks for all your kind and great comments.  Yes we did get to see some of the inner rooms of the factory; but we were not allowed to take any photos at all.  They brieflfy opened up their dust free room and the male worker closest to the door turned around to smile at us.  We were not allowed into their design room.  If I am not mistaken; other than the executives, most of the workers at the factory were young to middle aged.  There were also a fair number of female workers present.  The Stax executives were so kind and humble. At the end, they gave each of us a Stax Cooking Apron which I will cherish forever. 

Feb 8, 2013 at 4:05 PM Post #35 of 244
I should add that this was my first project as a photo journalist.  In a million years, I could not have imagined that this article would come our as well as it did.  I must totally continually thank Arnaud and Currowong for the work they did.  Truth be told, their contribution was far more than mine.  Hopefully, this will set up an tremendous amount of continued good will between Stax and Headfi.org.  One of the ideas of this project was to improve and increase the knowledge base in regard to the public and stax.  We were not out to gain any financial reward in writing this article.  Feel free to use this article in anyway you desire; HOWEVER, PLEASE ALWAYS CREDIT THE THREE OF US- SCOTTSMRNYC, ARNAUD AND CURROWONG AT ALL TIMES WHEN YOU DO. 

Feb 8, 2013 at 4:14 PM Post #36 of 244
Thanks for all your kind and great comments.  Yes we did get to see some of the inner rooms of the factory; but we were not allowed to take any photos at all.  They brieflfy opened up their dust free room and the male worker closest to the door turned around to smile at us.  We were not allowed into their design room.  If I am not mistaken; other than the executives, most of the workers at the factory were young to middle aged.  There were also a fair number of female workers present.  The Stax executives were so kind and humble. At the end, they gave each of us a Stax Cooking Apron which I will cherish forever. 

How much for the cooking apron.

I will offer my Sennheiser Teddy Bear + cash

Feb 8, 2013 at 5:31 PM Post #41 of 244
Now it's time for the Qualia factory tour!     

wink.gif

Feb 8, 2013 at 6:51 PM Post #43 of 244
I would like to thank you guys for taking the time, preparing and sharing great report.

It is interesting Stax was so open regarding burn in - electrostatic transducers can not be produced reliably any other way.

For my taste, they have one employee too much or too little ( I generally write year we are in as (2012+1) ha ha ) - and given what needs to be done I tend to see at least one additional employee in the future. Now I understand why they can not afford to produce so broad range of products as in the past. 

Despite Stax being most known for its electrostatic headphones/earspeakers, these do not represent the pinnacle of their products so far. My vote goes to their ewlectrostatic phono cartridges. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back