Stax headphones, no good for certain musical genres?
Dec 14, 2005 at 3:44 PM Post #2 of 18
Nope. The articles refer to "burn holes" created by the membranes touching the stators. The burns would likely be caused by arcing, where a charge jumps between the membrane and stator. You'd know it if you heard it; this is not something that happens quietly in the background. The membrane is normally insulated from the stator. If that insulation is intact, it prevents arcing. If you persistently bottom out the headphone, it's conceivable that you could wear out the insulation, but not likely.

The comment is simply wrong. Musical genre does not affect headphone wear. For the record, well-recorded classical music probably has the most low-frequency content of any genre, so why didn't the author warn against playing that?

Dec 14, 2005 at 4:25 PM Post #4 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by spritzer
...the bias voltage is so low that it can't arc through the insulation.

580 volts, as opposed to the former 230 volts? However, arcing is very unlikely with newer Staxes.

But there may be music genres less suitable for electrostatics, and the same applies to sonic preferences and ideals.

Dec 14, 2005 at 9:15 PM Post #6 of 18
I don't know anything about arcing, but my STAX really does well with anything I throw at it - and actually does better with electronica since its bass note goes deeper and is faster.

Dec 15, 2005 at 5:22 PM Post #7 of 18
Of all the music genres that I play on my O2/007t combo, heavy metal and rock is perhaps the least best, but still very acceptable. It may of course be to do with the tube rather than SS amp.

I agree with the poster that some classical music has deeper bass than rock/metal, and indeed I have some jazz and other types of music with very deep bass that the Stax plays supremely well.

Simon

Dec 16, 2005 at 5:02 AM Post #8 of 18
Hmmm, here's something else I noticed on the simplystax page:

Quote:

Can I drive modern PRO-bias Earspeakers from a STAX Electret Energiser?

No, not really. They work initially but after some hours the Earspeaker diaphragms become damaged. This is due to the way that the bias voltage is created inside the electret energiser – as opposed to the mains-driven ones. The consequence is that the ratio of bias voltage to DC voltage is inappropriate which in turn creates degradation to the membranes sooner or later. This seems to be the major cause of the numerous emails we receive from distressed owners of 1970's/1980s earspeakers who have damaged membranes, and can't find replacements - anywhere

So... I _can't_ use an SRD-7/MK-2's pro outlet with modern Pro-bias stax headphones? Or does it mean that you shouldn't use 5 pin pro bias stax headphones with 6 pin normal bias outlets?

Dec 16, 2005 at 7:49 AM Post #9 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tachikoma
Hmmm, here's something else I noticed on the simplystax page:

So... I _can't_ use an SRD-7/MK-2's pro outlet with modern Pro-bias stax headphones? Or does it mean that you shouldn't use 5 pin pro bias stax headphones with 6 pin normal bias outlets?

They mean the earlier energizers that hook up to a power amp that have only a normal bias plug. Pro cans will plug into normal bias plugs, but if you get the SRD-7 Pro, you won't have that prob, since as mentioned it has a pro bias output plug - you're on steady ground there.

Dec 16, 2005 at 7:50 AM Post #10 of 18
Well he must be confused by the transformer boxes and is then giving advice about them.
rolleyes.gif

The electret transformer boxes do not have a bias supply because it wasn't needed so I think he is refering to the SB models that produced a bias voltage from the audio input but these were never shipped with the electret models. I do not know if these SB models damage headphone membranes but I doubt it since Stax made these units for a number of years and probably wouldn't damage one product with another when they are shipped as one unit.

The SRD-7/MK-2 has a mains powered bias supply so this isn't an issue

Dec 16, 2005 at 8:42 AM Post #12 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tachikoma
Actually, the unit I own is the self-biasing version of the SRD-7/MK2, so it does make me worry =_=

Well then you must have the SRD-7SB not the normal ones. I do belive that he is talking about electret membranes that loose their bias over time and can't be replaced but that is a normal thing amd has nothing to do with the drive unit so you shouldn't worry.

Dec 16, 2005 at 4:07 PM Post #13 of 18
The only reason that a Stax headphone might not be as good on certain musical genres has to do with sound, not any issue with the technology. However, I recently acquired an older Stax Lambda Pro (have owned SR-404 and listened to Omega II many times). The Lambda Pro has deeper bass than any of the current Stax models that I've heard, as well as very nice dynamic range. This is a rockin' headphone. The Omega II has a "weight" (I keep using that word) that gives it a powerful sense of reality, and tremendous smoothness, but that same smoothness seems to occur on music that really isn't all that smooth. Sometimes, particularly in rock, you need to hear the rough edges. I'm completely bemused by the fact that in my rig, the Lambda Pro seems to deliver bass and detail that current Stax models, all the way up, can't. I'm still reeling from this, because it takes all of my previous thoughts on Stax electrostatics and is forcing me to rethink them. Do I need to start a vintage Stax collection?
tongue.gif
(I still think the Omega II is a better headphone than the Lambda Pro in most ways, and if I had to choose between the two, I'd probably take the Omega II (but I'd have to think about it
tongue.gif
)

Dec 16, 2005 at 5:11 PM Post #14 of 18
I agree. It's clearly a matter of taste with the current STAX models, not a technical matter. Can't comment on the really really old models; there may be technical reasons not to expose them to overpronounced bass signals.

Dec 16, 2005 at 5:54 PM Post #15 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hirsch
The Lambda Pro has deeper bass than any of the current Stax models that I've heard, as well as very nice dynamic range.

It cost me about $500 to find out that, for my favorite recordings, an original Lambda Pro/SRM-1 Mk 2 system performed far better than a brand new Signature II system.

The original Lambda Pros has a modestly higher output at frequencies above 1 kHz. This can provide a more airy sound. The response is pretty smooth and not horribly elevated, so the Lambdas are still usually non-fatiguing and tolerant of less than perfectly recorded music. But some people don't like the faint sheen or extra high frequency emphasis.

The latest Lambdas have an even more accentuated high frequency boost, and it starts below 1 kHz. So the frequency balance is different. Some people may find it more of a good thing; others too much. The bass end is still pretty flat, but it may sound less prominent due to the boosted high end. people have reported stronger bass if the Lambdas are tightly sealed to the head. I never tried this when I had the new Lambdas, and I don't see this effect with my old Lambdas. I don't know if it's head shape specific or Lambda model specific or what.

Unfortunately I've never heard the Omega I or II.

I don't find the old Lambdas too bright sounding. Their sound signature works well for the kind of music I listen to most often. The fact that they can handle transients about 3 dB higher than a current production Lambda without clipping was the important factor for me.

As others have said, tastes vary. I think it's unwise to say "headphone X is the best headphone under Y dollars" or "headphone Z should not be used with music genres A, B, C." It's a good way to start a (pointless) argument. It's not a reliable way to help people find what headphone best suits them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back