STAX ARRIVED!
Jun 10, 2005 at 3:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 71

KenB

100+ Head-Fier
I'm sitting in my office and a box was delivered from EIFL in Japan containing SR-404, SR-313, STAX Stand, Cover, and 2.5M Extension Chord! The outer package shows some wear/tear from the journey, but Koji packed the contents well and everything seems to have survived in pristine condition (he hopes
rolleyes.gif
).

Now I have to sit here all day staring at that box, waiting for this evening when I can tear into them. I'd fire it up in the office, but I have no source to hook up. My RCA cables are home. Ah, PATIENCE, thy name is virtue!!!

I hope to post some impressions soon enough...
lambda.gif

KenB

Jun 10, 2005 at 4:27 PM Post #5 of 71
This, I believe, is what is known as a Freudian Slip. That or precognition.
lambda.gif
You might ask to have this thread moved to somwhere less revealing.

Congratulations on your ability to receive packages, Ken.

BW

Jun 10, 2005 at 4:41 PM Post #6 of 71
Quote:

Originally Posted by mulveling
Wow, I thought Lou would be the first to pioneer the technique of posting first impressions in the For Sale forum
biggrin.gif

ROTFLMFAO you guys are too much...I spit coffee all over my desk and my boss missed the whole thing by a whisker
eggosmile.gif

Jun 10, 2005 at 4:53 PM Post #7 of 71
Quote:

Wow, I thought Lou would be the first to pioneer the technique of posting first impressions in the For Sale forum
biggrin.gif

That is the funniest thing I've read in a long time.

Jun 10, 2005 at 5:00 PM Post #8 of 71
You guys are having a good time about this post, but I'm sitting here clueless. I don't remember posting this to any For Sale forum and that's not where it's showing up -- unless someone moved it already.

What's going on?
rolleyes.gif

KenB

Jun 10, 2005 at 6:19 PM Post #9 of 71
Quote:

Originally Posted by KenB
You guys are having a good time about this post, but I'm sitting here clueless. I don't remember posting this to any For Sale forum and that's not where it's showing up -- unless someone moved it already.

Yup. This thread was previously posted in the headphone FS forum, and has been moved here by a moderator.

Enjoy the Stax and don't forget to post pics.
lambda.gif

Jun 10, 2005 at 7:26 PM Post #10 of 71
Congrats on your first electrostatics, Ken! I hope you'll enjoy them.

peacesign.gif

Jun 10, 2005 at 9:31 PM Post #11 of 71
Quote:

biggrin.gif

ROFL!

Sorry Lou
plainface.gif

Note to self: human beings do not breathe tea. Drinking + laughing = bad.

Jun 10, 2005 at 9:35 PM Post #12 of 71
Quickie review tonight... I'm looking forward to it.

Jun 11, 2005 at 2:05 AM Post #13 of 71
That title is putting it mildly. I am astonished at how incredibly wonderful these SR-404's sound. I am listening right now to my favorite Gary Burton CD, "Berklee All Stars," one of my reference pieces. The vibes sound simply perfect. I'm tempted to say they are as mellifluous as my own acoustic concert M75 Musser. The drums are impeccably detailed. Each drum/cymbal has its own space in the music and I can literally hear every ping of the drumstick on Billy's ride cymbal. Similarly, each instrument appears to enjoy a separate layer in the soundstage which I can focus on individually or lean back and take in the entire ensemble. The headstage/soundstage is phenomenal. This is FUN!

The frequency spectrum is unreal. At the bottom, the bass is extended, deep/full, impactful, tight, and articulate. It is also powerful and perfectly balanced, at least on this recording. Billy Campbell's kick drum is nicely punctuated and gives me that "felt" sensation like I was standing in the studio. The brass instruments are, to my taste, at the ideal timbre. They sound realistic, not too bright and not too warm. This may be the closest I've heard yet to neutral and linear.

The only challenge I have at the moment is hooking up stuff. I have this Yamaha bookshelf system that I really like. The receiver doesn't appear to have a main out connection that I could use to go into the input of the STAX SR-313. The CD player plugs into the back of the receiver with RCA connectors, so I finally just unhooked them and went straight into STAX input. That works, of course, but I'd really like to be able to listen to FM, CD's, etc., using either the headphone jack on the receiver (with my Senn's) or the STAX. I am clueless how to achieve that flexibility and maybe it's not even possible with this gear. Any ideas?

The other very minor concern is that, since I'm connecting straight into the STAX from the CDP (no preamp at all), I have the volume knob on the SR-313 at the 6 level and, candidly, I could take it a tad louder, but I'm afraid to raise it since I recall warnings not to go beyond 4-5! I don't feel that it's too loud. I keep taking off the headphones, periodically, to see if my ears are ringing and, thankfully, they are not. I can say, at this volume level, the music is enveloping and compelling.

Now this report is after the first 30 minutes or so! I'm about to declare that I have found sonic Nirvana. I can find no weaknesses at all so far. I haven't even experienced my first STAX fart and I've tried wiggling around to cause it to happen.

I expect to have more to report as I experience other music genre (e.g. classical), but I'll leave the analysis for a bit and return to revelling in this jazz sextet.

Thanks to all of you who helped me move in this direction. This sound is absolutely what I have been seeking and, until now, I've only come close. These headphones are the bomb!

KenB

Jun 11, 2005 at 2:15 AM Post #14 of 71
Hehehe...

KenB sounds like a much more enthusiastic owner of 404/313 than me eh ?
icon10.gif

I think one of the reasons why you were more surprised is because you're used to senns sound?
Glad that you enjoyed the Stax, maybe we can do reviews of these sytem with our own source/CDs in the future and see how it turn out to be.

EDIT: If you think the volume around 6 is still reasonable, then go for it. I believe it depends on the efficiency of the source ?

I can also sense a CD3000/HD650 on for sale forum soon.
icon10.gif

And I hope GoRedWings didn't see this thread... or else he might request some pictures... And YES, ON-HEAD pictures too, GoRedWings, if you're reading this...
icon10.gif

And yes, Ken, could you please tell the rest of Head-fi that there is BASS in Stax system ?
icon10.gif

Jun 11, 2005 at 2:27 AM Post #15 of 71
Congrats on your Stax setup! I have the same exact setup waiting for me about 2 miles away at a post office since I missed my post lady today. I will be going there tomorrow first thing in the morning to pick them up.
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back