STAX 4070's are in the house..... (pics)
Apr 6, 2010 at 10:56 PM Post #61 of 70
Yep the SRM-001

Problem is it has a different connector... oh well but still 580v....

srm001.jpg

never have heard one yet.

Apr 6, 2010 at 11:38 PM Post #63 of 70
I owned a SRM-001 for 3 years and loved it. Anyone new to the product please realize that is takes 3 good listening sessions for your ears to de-tenderized.
It is an amazing product for the price, but if you want one with a Stax pro bias termination, go for the SRM-003.
it's a great way to have stats on the go (fits right into your pocket, but the battery life is atrocious (4-5 hours), but that's the price you pay for keeping stators charged at 580v. I usually would use the AC adapter to charge the stators at home for a half an hour, and then take them outside.
The unit has some nice mods on Head-Fi, and I suppose you could stick a external battery source in your carry bag to extend the life.
I never made it through a whole trip.

Apr 7, 2010 at 12:07 PM Post #64 of 70
ha... it'd be so cool taking the 4070's on the bus
biggrin.gif

Apr 10, 2010 at 12:24 PM Post #65 of 70
Quote:

Originally Posted by Currawong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Stax made a portable, battery-powered amp, believe it or not. Still, it took something like 8 C-cells, so it wasn't small.

My take on a portable Stax amp is larger and heavier than a SRM-001 but also more powerful. And while being about the same size as an SRD-X it is significantly less heavy. I just took a 10 AA-battery case/holder (Batteriehalter für 10 x AA / R06 (Doppelt)) filled with 1.2 V accumulators and attached it to an SRM-212. Both devices are placed in a compact cordura bag with a ribbon for hanging it over my shoulder. The 212 is fed thru a Headphile Blackgold cable from an Iriver H180-ibasso D10 combo.

Any of my Lambdas sounds just great with it and battery life has never been an issue so far (I'd say well over 10 hours). Haven't tried it with the 4070 or O2 I/II as the former is too heavy and the latter like more power. TBH I mainly use the set in house. It brightens up my part of the housework, especially doing some of the dish washing
smile.gif

Apr 10, 2010 at 12:59 PM Post #66 of 70
Quote:

Originally Posted by paaj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ha... it'd be so cool taking the 4070's on the bus
biggrin.gif

I wouldn't use the word "cool" when describing someone wearing those on a bus
tongue.gif

Apr 10, 2010 at 2:39 PM Post #67 of 70
Quote:

Originally Posted by chi2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My take on a portable Stax amp is larger and heavier than a SRM-001 but also more powerful. And while being about the same size as an SRD-X it is significantly less heavy. I just took a 10 AA-battery case/holder (Batteriehalter für 10 x AA / R06 (Doppelt)) filled with 1.2 V accumulators and attached it to an SRM-212. Both devices are placed in a compact cordura bag with a ribbon for hanging it over my shoulder. The 212 is fed thru a Headphile Blackgold cable from an Iriver H180-ibasso D10 combo.

Any of my Lambdas sounds just great with it and battery life has never been an issue so far (I'd say well over 10 hours). Haven't tried it with the 4070 or O2 I/II as the former is too heavy and the latter like more power. TBH I mainly use the set in house. It brightens up my part of the housework, especially doing some of the dish washing
smile.gif

Ha, that's brilliant. I might have to try something like this. It still seems funny to me that a bunch of regular batteries can power a Stax amp like this, even though I know it's simply a big current to voltage conversion going on.

Dec 5, 2010 at 2:25 PM Post #69 of 70
How does it compares to the Denon D7000? I want to try the Stax, but the cost is holding me back.

Dec 7, 2010 at 5:52 AM Post #70 of 70
Totally different to Denons. AFAIK they are tuned to be dead neutral, but the time I tried them (with a 717 and high-end DAC) they were wonderful with vocals.  Such a rig made my D5000s at the time seem like a pretentious effort at music reproduction.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back