STAX 4070 GET! (+BIG PICS)
Sep 20, 2006 at 4:04 AM Post #31 of 99
Quote:

Originally Posted by nikongod
+1

maybe we should invite stax?

Someone needs to convince Meguro-san to come to the next (inter)national meet. That would be awesome.

Sep 20, 2006 at 4:12 AM Post #32 of 99
I have high hopes for these. From your description it really does appear that Stax designed this to be the pro monitoring headphone successor to the mighty SR-X series. The only thing that bothers and puzzles me is the balsa wood cups. Wouldn't they be extremely vulnerable in a pro audio application?

Next big question: are they ported in any way, either directly or resistively?

Sep 20, 2006 at 4:21 AM Post #33 of 99
Quote:

Originally Posted by wualta
I have high hopes for these. From your description it really does appear that Stax designed this to be the pro monitoring headphone successor to the mighty SR-X series. The only thing that bothers and puzzles me is the balsa wood cups. Wouldn't they be extremely vulnerable in a pro audio application?

The housing is coated with a matte, enamel-like paint that seems pretty resistant to life's ills. They don't sound exactly like the SR-X (there is a small depression in the mids at around 500Hz-1kHz that the SR-X lacks), but overall it's similar and quite a bit better.

Quote:

Next big question: are they ported in any way, either directly or resistively?

I don't know. What should I look for?

Sep 20, 2006 at 4:30 AM Post #35 of 99
Quote:

Originally Posted by Iron_Dreamer
Congrats on the long-awaited 4070, Carl! It definitely looks a bit different and larger in real-life pics than it ever did in the promo pics. Happy listening!

Thanks.

I can see what Kintetsu-san of H-navi meant when he said the 4070s sound great with Jazz. I wish I owned more of the stuff...

Sep 20, 2006 at 4:54 AM Post #36 of 99
I'd love to see those on someone's head.

Sep 20, 2006 at 5:16 AM Post #39 of 99
I'm thinking on the head, they'd be like sigmas, only with nicer material.

Sep 20, 2006 at 5:33 AM Post #40 of 99
Quote:

Originally Posted by Carl
The housing is coated with a matte, enamel-like paint that seems pretty resistant to life's ills.

While that doesn't sound too confidence-inspiring (I wouldn't playfully throw them at my program director, for example), it might be just fine for audiophile purposes. It could be that the cups will contain treble frequencies but act transparent to bass. You'll have to tell us when you do the full-on test.

Quote:

They don't sound exactly like the SR-X (there is a small depression in the mids at around 500Hz-1kHz that the SR-X lacks), but overall it's similar and quite a bit better.

The "dip" in the midrange might be just the thing to mitigate the SR-X's slight midrangeyness. Better how?

Quote:

I don't know. What should I look for?

A hole or slot which might have fiber stuffing in it or behind it.

Sep 20, 2006 at 5:50 AM Post #41 of 99
Quote:

Originally Posted by wualta
While that doesn't sound too confidence-inspiring (I wouldn't playfully throw them at my program director, for example), it might be just fine for audiophile purposes. It could be that the cups will contain treble frequencies but act transparent to bass. You'll have to tell us when you do the full-on test.

Well, they're the toughest feeling headphones I'd had yet, so I'm not worried about them crumbling on me. I'd still recommend keeping a spare SR30 around for sconing your programme director, though.

Quote:

The "dip" in the midrange might be just the thing to mitigate the SR-X's slight midrangeyness. Better how?

I don't think they were made to be an evolution of the SR-X. Totally different headphones with similar objectives.

The 4070 is much more resolving, and capable of nuance and defining fine harmonics than the X, has a more natural sound field, the bass mids and treble put up a truer unified front, it's easier to take Occham's razor to polyphonia, the sonic backdrop is much blacker, they are better suited to lower volume levels, instrument timbre is more vivid thanks to the better harmonics, the 4070 has the best attack and decay I've yet heard from any headphone, there is no loss of the frequency extremes, especially the lower bass, and so forth.

Man it's hard to decribe these without sounding like Patrick...

Of course, it isn't all bad for the SR-X. They're far lighter, do electronica better, and are easier to get your groove on to, even with the subdued lower bass.

Quote:

A hole or slot which might have fiber stuffing in it or behind it.

Nothing like that on the outer case, and I can't see into the housing very well thanks two two layers of foam and wire mesh obscuring my view.

Sep 20, 2006 at 12:09 PM Post #43 of 99
Congrats for your purchase.
smily_headphones1.gif

about the last thing on protection: is the sound level enough before protection threshold?

Andrew

Sep 20, 2006 at 12:35 PM Post #44 of 99
Quote:

Originally Posted by amartignano
about the last thing on protection: is the sound level enough before protection threshold?

Andrew

Well, that depends on your listening preferences and the sort of music you like. I think the threshold is too low for rock, but I never noticed it until I decided to play some rock music. But then again, the 4070 is far from a rock headphone.

Sep 20, 2006 at 11:11 PM Post #45 of 99
Quote:

Originally Posted by Carl
I'd still recommend keeping a spare SR30 around for sconing your programme director, though.

Nah, I keep fresh scones around for that. Much denser and more likely to fly straight.

Quote:

I don't think they were made to be an evolution of the SR-X. Totally different headphones with similar objectives.

Obviously. I was thinking more along the lines of market niches...

Quote:

The 4070 is much more resolving, the 4070 has the best attack and decay I've yet heard from any headphone, there is no loss of the frequency extremes, especially the lower bass..

...and this is the reason why. From this description, I'd say the 4070 makes no attempt to sound "musical", "euphonic" or even pleasing. In other words, it's a serious piece of pro audio gear. Would that be fair to say?

Even the headband speaks of situations where the classic arch-and-strap would be too fragile. The brusque safety muting circuit points to professional use too.

Quote:

Nothing like that on the outer case, and I can't see into the housing very well.

If my guess about the balsa wood case is correct, there may be no need for a port, but a port can be very subtle on a headphone.

Can you tell if the earcups are stuffed full of some kind of absorptive material?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back