Stax 007 with the ES-1
Aug 12, 2007 at 7:45 PM Post #46 of 101
Quote:

Originally Posted by Calle /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi guys, it's the friggin noob from Denmark. I want to thank you all for the great replies I have recieved from my last questions I posted a few days ago regarding top of the line headphones and amp for trance. I read through all the replies again and again and searched everywhere on google. Writing "high-end" in google sure helps alot.
3000smile.gif

I guess that you guys already know what this is about. Well I have just recieved an email from Mikhail with an attached list of of different options/upgrades for the standard ES-1. I am going for the motherload on this one! I am skipping my new computer and buying this amp with all of the upgrades and extras. I am going to spend $18000+ on this rig and my current headphones are the Stax 007. The 90's would be sweet too, but they are hard to find.
I then again turn to you guys for advice. This is all about trance and I want my amp to sound like it was made for trance! Do you have any suggestions on which modifications I should choose for it and what I need to know in order to make the amp sound its best for the needs of electronic dance music or trance if you will?

Please advise, this is a friggin load of cash and I really want it to sound right.

Regards

Christian

No noob would spend 18,000 on Audio.. You sir are a god..

Aug 12, 2007 at 7:47 PM Post #47 of 101
Quote:

A fellow head-fi'er has pointed me in a different direction. A pair of L3000 with a proper amp. This sounds very good, but when I heard the Stax at a local store I was floored by them and it wasn't even the top model. I got so into the music I got chills. But again, the bass was a bit lacking, that's why I am looking at the ES-1. Maybe I need to hear the L3000's as well?

For what it's worth I prefer the L3000 to every Stax headphone I've heard (includes the Omega 2).

Aug 12, 2007 at 7:49 PM Post #48 of 101
Quote:

A fellow head-fi'er has pointed me in a different direction. A pair of L3000 with a proper amp. This sounds very good, but when I heard the Stax at a local store I was floored by them and it wasn't even the top model. I got so into the music I got chills. But again, the bass was a bit lacking, that's why I am looking at the ES-1. Maybe I need to hear the L3000's as well?

Yes.. No headphone has bass like the L3000..

Aug 12, 2007 at 7:55 PM Post #49 of 101
As a former owner of that combo, I would recommend focusing on those options that might offer up a touch of brightness to offset (what I was told was) the Omega II's slight darkness. To that end, I went with silver wiring in the signal path. I also upgraded the transformers.

I found the ES-1/Omega II to be stupendous. I only sold it to fund a home theater (with MartinLogan 'stats, appropriately enough!).

Aug 12, 2007 at 7:58 PM Post #50 of 101
Quote:

Originally Posted by J-Pak /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For what it's worth I prefer the L3000 to every Stax headphone I've heard (includes the Omega 2).

Then they gotta sound wonderful! But what about the detail in the L3000 compared to the O2?

Aug 12, 2007 at 8:01 PM Post #51 of 101
Quote:

Originally Posted by bahamaman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As a former owner of that combo, I would recommend focusing on those options that might offer up a touch of brightness to offset (what I was told was) the Omega II's slight darkness. To that end, I went with silver wiring in the signal path. I also upgraded the transformers.

I found the ES-1/Omega II to be stupendous. I only sold it to fund a home theater (with MartinLogan 'stats, appropriately enough!).

Stupendous?
smily_headphones1.gif
As in they were good or bad?

Aug 12, 2007 at 8:04 PM Post #52 of 101
Quote:

Then they gotta sound wonderful! But what about the detail in the L3000 compared to the O2?

Since I can't offer side by side comparisons I won't comment.

However I also own the K1000 which are some of the most detailed headphones I've ever heard.

The L3000 is just as detailed in the midrange and bass (mainly because it extends lower). However the K1000 has more detailed highs since they have seemingly infinite extension.

With your budget I would seriously consider auditioning a top tier K1000 setup as well. They are in my opinion second only to the Sennheiser HE90.

Aug 12, 2007 at 8:11 PM Post #53 of 101
Depending on what you are looking for I at times consider a nice K1000 set up to solidly beat a good HE90 set up. Especially if you pair one with this amp:
http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls....ube&1189523999

If would be tough to do much better. However, it seems bass is pretty valuable to you and the K1000 does have a bass cut off at ~50 Hz. So while the K1000 may reign supreme in soundstage/decay/possibly detail (I have to do side by sides with Qualias from the Solid State 1) and definitely texture... they do have that bass cut off and they are starting to lean towards speakers rather than headphones ;p

Aug 12, 2007 at 8:22 PM Post #54 of 101
Quote:

Originally Posted by Icarium /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Depending on what you are looking for I at times consider a nice K1000 set up to solidly beat a good HE90 set up. Especially if you pair one with this amp:

If would be tough to do much better.

I'm sure a competent DIY'er could build a better amp for its used price or possibly less. But it would be hard to match the pride of ownership of a Zanden.

Aug 12, 2007 at 8:26 PM Post #55 of 101
Quote:

Originally Posted by Icarium /img/forum/go_quote.gif

If would be tough to do much better. However, it seems bass is pretty valuable to you and the K1000 does have a bass cut off at ~50 Hz. So while the K1000 may reign supreme in soundstage/decay/possibly detail (I have to do side by sides with Qualias from the Solid State 1) and definitely texture... they do have that bass cut off and they are starting to lean towards speakers rather than headphones ;p

K1000 you say? Will have to look into that as well!

That is one mighty amp. The price is ok, considering what it costs if you buy a new one. But it is only being shipped within the US. Btw is it a headphone amp?

I do enjoy bass, but again again, the Stax were also amazing and if a proper amp that could bring out that bass, I would buy them!

Aug 12, 2007 at 8:28 PM Post #56 of 101
Quote:

K1000 you say? Will have to look into that as well!

That is one mighty amp. The price is ok, considering what it costs if you buy a new one. But it is only being shipped within the US. Btw is it a headphone amp?

I do enjoy bass, but again again, the Stax were also amazing and if a proper amp that could bring out that bass, I would buy them!

It's an integrated amp. To get the most out of the K1000 you need a capable and synergistic speaker amp.

Aug 12, 2007 at 8:54 PM Post #59 of 101
I like it ;p Though I'm using crappy stockish tubes though the second stage sylvanias are kinda nice. I have bahamaman's amp right now but I can't really give you the O2 + ES-1 low down, but others already have, as I am using HE90s. Listening right now in fact laf.

Aug 12, 2007 at 9:10 PM Post #60 of 101
Quote:

Originally Posted by kool bubba ice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes.. No headphone has bass like the L3000..

H2, but there is no number to dial and get one...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back