Starving Student PCB's
Jan 17, 2015 at 9:48 AM Post #241 of 392
Hey muskyhuntr, what do you use for the words on the case? It looks neat. Also do you use a led for the power and if so where does it go in the pcb?

Quote:
  Hi All;

Finally finished my Starving Student.  If I had to describe this project with one word, it would be 'surprise'.  With no break in, this thing sounds good even with my cheap break in phones.
Here are a few pictures of the final product.

Me

Not at all, it's just I prefer the 2D puzzle myself at least for now, maybe because it's easier. Also feels more sturdy with a pcb.

Quote:
Something went wrong? I really enjoy building P2P. It's like a challenging 3D puzzle and you can be very creative solving it.

Jan 17, 2015 at 12:43 PM Post #242 of 392
The lettering on both the front and rear panel was done by Front Panel Express, who also did the metal work.  The LED is connected to the power input at the switch.  You can barely see where the resistor is on the right. It is covered in shrink wrap.

Me

Jan 21, 2015 at 5:18 AM Post #243 of 392
Well I've re-build the amp with the new pcb into a small cardbox until I can make or find a decent enclosure. It finally sounds alright! I knew there was something wrong with my p2p build, it sounded very harsh, now it's totally different. I'm really glad I bought the PCB, thanks again Fred.

I'm also thinking of getting a new pot because mine doesn't fit in the PCB and I'd like to avoid cables if possible.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-x-100K-Ohm-B100K-LINEAR-DUAL-TAPER-POTENTIOMETER-Pot-17mm-Shaft-Free-Shipping-/321435832488?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4ad71190a8

Do you think this one will fit with the PCB? I can't find much info on it.

Jan 21, 2015 at 6:54 AM Post #244 of 392
Jan 31, 2015 at 8:17 PM Post #246 of 392
Hey Fred_fred,

Just finished my build but I still need to put everything in an enclosure. Sounds sweet!

Quick question : I am using the exact same heatsinks as the ones shown in the pictures but they get real hot. After 5 minutes it's impossible to touch them. I'm guessing this is normal? Any long term issues with your build? Should I go for bigger heatsinks?

Thanks,

Ph.

Feb 1, 2015 at 9:30 AM Post #247 of 392
the operating temperature for irf510 is 175c.Is normal.i have the same heatsink.If you use box dont put them inside the box.and dont forget to put thermal paste between.upload some picture to see your construction :)
Code:
[left]  [/left]

Feb 1, 2015 at 2:17 PM Post #250 of 392
Thanks. It works fine. No noise, no issue at all. I did not listen to it a lot yet but as far as I can tell it sounds very nice.

It's the IRFI510 (Digikey IRFI510GPBF-ND). Same as an IRF510 but in an insulated package so no need to play with mica insulators :D

Feb 2, 2015 at 8:04 PM Post #251 of 392
I read the first page and the last page and I've read enough on the design to know that I want to build one.

Are PCBs still available for purchase?

Feb 5, 2015 at 3:08 PM Post #252 of 392
hi.i finish my build today but i have little problem.the right channel the sound is a bit poor,for example the sound of voices not heard much,i measure everything,i change resistors and transitors i swap tubes but nothing.the only strange is that the pin 5 of tube the left have 19v and right have 11,6v.the other measures have normal difference between and parts and pins.any idea???thnks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back