Starving Student PCB's
Jan 6, 2014 at 2:24 AM Post #151 of 392
Now, I see you are building another kit not the SS

we can sort it via email

cheers
FRED

Jan 7, 2014 at 6:42 PM Post #153 of 392
Hi Fred, Boards arrived the other day, they look great,..thanks!!
Questions:

(some may seem simple, but just want to make sure)

1) On the transistors, the thinner area denoted by the dotted line is the heat sink side for orientation purposes?

2)The 3 terminal phone plug is the one connected to R16 and R17 which go to the vol pot? The input is connected to R12 and R6?

3) I plan on "Earth" grounding the metal case. (round pin on US AC outlet) If I do this, do the heat sink(s) need to be insulated from the metal enclosure? Also can I use one big Heat Sink or do they need to be separated. (If yes, answer to first Q of # 3 is yes.

4) The 2 pins that go to C6 and C3 are the 48V DC input?

5) If I do # 3 above, do I have to make sure I insulate the outer common grounds of the phone jack and the input. (Prob yes)

6) As long as the mounting threads of the Vol pot are insulated from all 6 pins on it (I think it will be) I will be ok using the threads to mount the Board, pot to the "Earth grounded enclosure

Thanks again for all your help from all of us DIYers.

Jan 8, 2014 at 10:24 PM Post #154 of 392
  Hi Fred, Boards arrived the other day, they look great,..thanks!!
Questions:

(some may seem simple, but just want to make sure)

1) On the transistors, the thinner area denoted by the dotted line is the heat sink side for orientation purposes?
Yes

2)The 3 terminal phone plug is the one connected to R16 and R17 which go to the vol pot? The input is connected to R12 and R6?
The input goes to R16 & R17
R12 & R6 are the output

3) I plan on "Earth" grounding the metal case. (round pin on US AC outlet) If I do this, do the heat sink(s) need to be insulated from the metal enclosure? Also can I use one big Heat Sink or do they need to be separated. (If yes, answer to first Q of # 3 is yes.
Easier to ground everything and insulate the IRF510's with mica

4) The 2 pins that go to C6 and C3 are the 48V DC input?
Yes

5) If I do # 3 above, do I have to make sure I insulate the outer common grounds of the phone jack and the input. (Prob yes)
If its all going to be at ground then no

6) As long as the mounting threads of the Vol pot are insulated from all 6 pins on it (I think it will be) I will be ok using the threads to mount the Board, pot to the "Earth grounded enclosure
Yes that works

Thanks again for all your help from all of us DIYers.

cheers
FRED

Jan 17, 2014 at 4:03 PM Post #156 of 392
Any reports from builders as to how this amp sounds?  I kind of need to know before I decide if I want to spend some extra cash on a Hammond enclosure or not. I am particularly interested as to if the amp does a good job of bringing out the highs and lows. I have found most non amped sources as well as HP's tend to fall off the further you get from the mids. I am building two units, one for my self and one for my sister, The last thing I want to do is put too much money into the units, only to find it just sounds a little louder with no significant improvement in the highs and lows.
Thanks,....Eric.

Jan 17, 2014 at 4:59 PM Post #157 of 392
There are lots of opinions of this amp from the original thread found here:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/319231/millett-starving-student-hybrid-amp/6690

My 2 cents is that with the proper headphones and source (in my case a HD600's and a modi DAC from schiit audio), it sounds wonderful.

All in all it should cost you less than $100 to put an amp together if you do some shopping around (including the tubes).

Good luck with the builds!

--Dustin

Jan 24, 2014 at 7:17 PM Post #159 of 392
Feb 1, 2014 at 6:47 PM Post #162 of 392
Feb 2, 2014 at 7:00 AM Post #164 of 392
I just air wire an LED and series resistor from the main power after the switch and the ground

across C6 on my board is as good a place as any

cheers
FRED

Feb 5, 2014 at 3:16 PM Post #165 of 392
Has anyone every completely got rid of the hum when you touch the volume POT?  It is so minor but annoys the hell out of me.  I have tried to ground it directly, but without any luck.

I was thinking of insulating the pot from the stainless volume knob...not sure if that will completely fix the problem, but worth a shot.

Thanks in advance.

--Dustin

Users who are viewing this thread

Back