Starving Student PCB's
Feb 8, 2014 at 8:54 AM Post #166 of 392
  Has anyone every completely got rid of the hum when you touch the volume POT?  It is so minor but annoys the hell out of me.  I have tried to ground it directly, but without any luck.

I was thinking of insulating the pot from the stainless volume knob...not sure if that will completely fix the problem, but worth a shot.

Thanks in advance.

--Dustin

Is there a grounding screw on your pot? The Alps pots in the plastic cases have a grounding screw. Else, ground the case. Is it in a metal case?

Feb 10, 2014 at 9:02 AM Post #168 of 392
  So just for your information, nichicon caps on the original bom are too large for this pcb. Don't make the same mistake as i did.

Little more info? What original BOM? The one from the original SS thread or the one posted here in this thread?

I am about to order all parts can still make substitutes.

Thanks.

Feb 10, 2014 at 11:21 AM Post #170 of 392

Is there a grounding screw on your pot? The Alps pots in the plastic cases have a grounding screw. Else, ground the case. Is it in a metal case?

There is not a grounding screw but the POT is metal so I tried to ground the entire thing.  The case is also metal so I did ground it as well.  The noise is much quieter but not dead quiet.  It is more of an annoyance than anything...  :)

Feb 11, 2014 at 5:58 PM Post #173 of 392
Feb 13, 2014 at 3:36 AM Post #174 of 392

There is not a grounding screw but the POT is metal so I tried to ground the entire thing.  The case is also metal so I did ground it as well.  The noise is much quieter but not dead quiet.  It is more of an annoyance than anything...  :)

In my experience, sometimes that just happens. It may be that the pot case isn't super conductive, and grounding isn't going to work.

Feb 26, 2014 at 3:52 AM Post #178 of 392
I think you can order this PCB assembly from China,the price is reasonable and the quality is well too.www.wonderfulpcb.com and www.pcbcart.com are often I am ordered.hope can help you 

Feb 27, 2014 at 9:29 AM Post #180 of 392
A quick question for people who used non-metallic cases.  I'm looking to make a case from wood, with metal plates for the top and bottom.  Do I need to make sure all the metal bits are grounded to each other?  I've seen several references to grounding issues, and since the default project case is metal I wasn't sure what was required.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back