Starting Point Systems portable NOS DAC

Discussion in 'Portable Source Gear' started by cjg888, Mar 12, 2014.

1. Jimster480
    Make sure that the sample rate inside of the audio control panel hasn't been set to something that the DAC cannot understand.

2. gvl2016
    I had a similar issue on Windows with only one particular laptop but a powered hub helped. Maybe try a different USB port. Double check if somehow the DAC is being sent a format it cannot support, i.e. more than 96kHz/16 bit.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2017
  3. Textfeud
    No issue until the update. Powered hub doesn’t help. When I have the DAC selected at sound preference the OS won’t even plag Youtube vids. It just stays at the zero second mark. Same with the Apple Music. When I switch to computerspeaker no issue...

4. gvl2016
    Does the sampling frequency indicator light up on the DAC? I was thinking may be somehow new OS is sending a signal not compatible with the DAC. Is there a way to check in settings? I'm not familiar with Macs.

5. Textfeud
    I think so yes. It's on USB and everything is recognized on the Mac. Just when I press play nothing happens with every platform. So weird. Hopefully somebody else has a Mac too and can test it for me.

6. kvik
  7. Textfeud
    No it’s just with the DAC not when playing directly through the Macbook speakers. No issues in audio/midi, everything set fins. DAC recognized. I don’t understand.

8. Textfeud
    Tried it on another Mac with High Sierra and the exact same problem occurs. The DAC is being recognized, but no matter what platform I use (iTunes, Youtube) when I have the DAC chosen it won't even play. So for instance on Youtube the video won't play. On iTunes the music won't play. I'm lost :frowning2:

9. kvik
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2017
  10. leggoslave
    I'm on High Sierra and can confirm this. DAC recognised but only computer noise is heard through USB.

I have long ago eschewed direct USB playback anyway and have been using DDCs for a few years now. Currently using a SINGxer F-1 via S/PDIF into the DAC3. There are cheaper alternatives like the Audio Breeze U8 which work just as well.

If you want to stay with direct USB I guess Christophe has to perhaps write a new driver for High Sierra. Apple's less likely to do anything about it IMO.

11. gvl2016
    Likely not a driver but a firmware update for his apparently not fully UAC1 compliant USB audio interface implementation. However it's unclear if the DACs firmware is field upgradeable.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2017
  12. GearMe
    Same here...no issues with coax. Also, it might be placebo, but I swear it sounds better than USB. :L3000:

13. gvl2016
    I heard back from Christophe regarding Android support. According to him a f/w update that is intended to address Linux issues is in the works, he hopes this update will help with Android as well. I would think it could help with the issues on High Sierra too. The DAC is in fact field-upgradeable which is good news but requires Windows for that. Let's hope he has enough cycles to get it done.

Haden2866 likes this.