Starting Point Systems portable NOS DAC

Discussion in 'Portable Source Gear' started by cjg888, Mar 12, 2014.
  1. kvik
    What are the physical dimensions (HWD) of the DAC3?

2. GearMe
    ~1.25 x 4 x 5 inches...sorry for being lazy and not looking up the metric conversion!

3. kvik
    Thank you.

It’s probably the Hammond 1455L1201 case then..
    Inches: 1.2 x 4.06 x 4.72
    mm: 30.5 x 103 x 120

Wanted to see, if it would fit underneath my battery amp.The two should match perfectly (same Hammond series, width/depth).

Last edited: Oct 13, 2017
    jimmers likes this.
  4. Jimster480
    ITs also possible and most likely that your brain is getting used to the sound. There are many experiments on this suggesting that you will be happy with most audio gear because your brain will get used to the sound. Unless that gear emits harsh noise that affects you in a negative way/bothers you to where you don't listen to it.

You are just training yourself to listen and enjoy your music more.
    Go back to your old DAC after a while and listen for the same details, do it in the same song back to back.
    Chances are you will hear the same in your other DAC now that you have trained yourself. Its pretty fascinating.

5. rikk009
    Albeit when I went back to a DS DAC when comparing the two. First time I felt the treble was too harsh on the DS DAC and bass on the NOS Dac surprised me. Same? Not at all.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2017
    Guidostrunk likes this.
  6. gvl2016
    Anyone managed to get this DAC going with Android? No luck here.

7. Jimster480
    What phone are you using?

8. Haden2866
    None here either, with a Kindle Fire, nor with an iPhone SE.
    I have had it working intermittently with a Cayin N3 which is great when it works...

9. Haden2866
    No, there's something else in play here other than, if I understand you correctly, my merely getting used to an objectively inferior sound quality. There's some coherence or integration going on which I haven't heard from a DS DAC that has me reaching for descriptors like wholeness, naturalness. It's not just about resolving ability and noise floor I would say, based on what I am hearing.
    M. Mariac suggests, on his website, that "it is generally assumed we hear the spectrum of sounds, but can't hear the phase... So maybe the spectrum-only approach to DAC design is not telling the whole story...".
    I'm all for science. What I like about this DAC isn't just analogue-like vintage warmth as a result of noise and I'm pretty sure it isn't magic either. Might it just be possible that the science in the area of DAC design and implementation is not yet complete or might benefit from a new direction?
    Until then, thank you for your skepticism. I will think very carefully before my next DAC purchase but for now I remain a very satisfied customer of this outstanding-for-the-money-in-my-subjective-opinion hand-built electronic throwback.

richard51 and Guidostrunk like this.
  10. Jimster480
    That is fine if you enjoy it, I'm not going to tell you what to enjoy.

11. gvl2016
    Bummer, this is the downside of using a home-grown USB interface. Wondering if there is a firmware update to address this issue, I seem to recall reading there were issues under Linux with this devices as well.

12. gvl2016
    On terminology, it is OS vs. NOS where people disagree due to noticeable difference in sound signatures, not necessarily multi-bit vs. DS as both can be made OS, although DS are pretty much always OS.

Haden2866 likes this.
  13. Jimster480
    I don't think you can really have a DS DAC without over sampling because its got to do multiple passes on the same sample to reconstruct the waveform vs doing it all at once (which would be multi-bit).

14. gvl2016
    As a side note, Metrum Acoustics has refreshed their lineup, and hopefully there will be more Musettes on the used market because of it, the price should be in the $500-600 range, but totally worth it IMO, it takes all the good things found in the DAC3 to a completely new level, anyone looking to upgrade from DAC3 should seriously consider it.

Haden2866 likes this.
  15. Textfeud
    Just got the DAC 3 today. Right off the bat I hear a naturalness in guitars and voices compared to the iFi Nano iDSD. But I also find the highs lack a bit. Not just less detailed but also not there entirely? Not sure how to describe it. Bass is very nice. Also needed to dial up the volume, probably because of the weaker output signal. Listening on a vintage speaker setup so take it with a big spoon of salt :wink:.