Starting my own IEM collection
Sep 10, 2009 at 9:28 PM Post #16 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by iriverdude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Pointless owning several models from the same company. ^looks at sig.. yup.

Lighten up, it's a hobby for some people.

Some of us enjoy owning different speakers, amps, whatever. Others collect cars, guns, comics, fishing poles, lures.

Sep 10, 2009 at 9:59 PM Post #17 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by lnvisible /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I actually have been wanting a pair of UE 5 Pros for awhile now, and there are some pretty sales going on at Head-Fi at the moment. How do they stack up to the EB edition? Is the bass in the EB maybe too forward, and sometimes muddy, possibly forced? Also, how does the 5 v2's compare to these two?

Is there anyone that owns any Super.fi 5's that may also own Turbines? I would lime to know how they compare/contrast in soundstage, bass range, and lows.

Stop fussing everyone, haha.

Can anyone help me with this? I might choose some Super.fi 5's for my second IEM.

Sep 10, 2009 at 10:33 PM Post #19 of 53
I've built up a collection as well just to hear them all and decide which ones I like the most and sell/trade the rest. I would recommend the IE8's.

Sep 10, 2009 at 11:08 PM Post #21 of 53
Well, at the end (hope there's one..), I'd just keep a custom or two, a universal or two, and a few more affordable pairs for workout/school. I have a potential chance to get a JH13 and UE11 soon...

Sep 11, 2009 at 12:56 AM Post #22 of 53
I think I'm gonna buy a pair of Super.fi 5 Pro EBs from a guy on this forum, and then maybe a pair of FX500s. The bass in these two seem to be very appealing to me.

And yes, in the end of this whole collection, after I have a good amount of different sound signatures, I am going to pick up a set of IE8s, UM3X, and then finally a good custom to end it all.

Just waiting for a reply from the seller I am looking to get the EBs off of. Will update soon.

Thanks everyone for their comments and assistance so far.

Sep 11, 2009 at 1:07 AM Post #23 of 53
Quote:

So why buy several lesser grade @ $200 each, rather than a single $1000 high end IEM? Same principle.

One very good reason: 'Oh, you lost it, oh the cable snapped, oh, it got stolen etc..'
This is why I don't buy IEM's greater than $200 tbh (see profile, as all are sub $200).
I'd much rather invest in a decent home rig.

Sep 11, 2009 at 2:34 AM Post #24 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by BBY03evo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
From my experience, I would buy a nice custom and call it a day. That is all you will ever need. Why waist all that money on universals that will not be near as comfortable, and will not sound as good.

With the price of very good customs today... it's not even a question imo.

customs make you look like an old man with a hearing problem.
k701smile.gif

Sep 11, 2009 at 4:27 AM Post #25 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by chinesekiwi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
One very good reason: 'Oh, you lost it, oh the cable snapped, oh, it got stolen etc..'
This is why I don't buy IEM's greater than $200 tbh (see profile, as all are sub $200).
I'd much rather invest in a decent home rig.

well, it's dependent on who you are.
$1000+ monitors exist for a reason, and are meant for a certain type of person.

I'm particularly anal when it comes to my possessions so i'd be careful. and if you're a rock star, i doubt 1k here and 1k there won't make a difference with all the other expensive equipment.

Sep 11, 2009 at 8:06 PM Post #26 of 53
I am almost 99% percent certain I am going to pick up a used pair of UE Super.fi 5 EB's from a guy here on the forum. So once I get those, I will update this thread again, and also include a bit of review about them.

I also have a potential seller for a pair of JVC-Victor FX500s for $100. Does anyone have any opinions on these? You think I should pick up a pair of these also, or just stick with the set of EBs I will get?

Thanks guys.

Sep 11, 2009 at 8:26 PM Post #28 of 53
Quote:

EB's are apparently a bit too bassy, and poor choice from UE line. Why not SF 5 Pro?

I have been reading some reviews lately about these, and most people are saying the opposite of what you are. They say the bass comes off very clean, and doesn't overpower other stuff that much at all during high frequencies.

I am also trying to find a very deep bassy IEM, just like the Turbines, but maybe with a different signature to how it is portrayed, and I want to try and see what the EBs sound like.

I also have been wanting a pair of Super.fi 5's for a while now, and I can get them now for $75 shipped in a very good condition. I don't wanna pass this deal up.

Sep 11, 2009 at 8:35 PM Post #29 of 53
Get a pair of Shure 530s!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back