Starting my own IEM collection
Sep 10, 2009 at 5:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 53

lnvisible

100+ Head-Fier
I have just recently begun a project of mine where I will attempt to own many different IEMs. The reason I am doing this is because I know that all IEMs are all built for mainly their own reason, whether it be soundstage, bass quality/quantity, their lows/highs, etc, and I want to have a diverse collection of the many different POV's in the music scene, rather than being content with just one IEM.

Starting this off, I purchased a pair of Monster Turbines. At the bottom of this post, I will keep a list of all the IEM's I own, along with what reason I bought them for, and how I will use them. Also, just throwing this out there, all IEMs are listened on a Zune 30 w/ the acoustic equalizer enabled, and mostly with metal/hardcore music.

I purchased the Turbines due to their clarity/instrument separation, isolation, and overall bass output. I am mainly using them for sleep listening, and drum playing. I play drums and the quality these Turbines put out for the drums in songs is pretty phenomenal. The soundstage is decent, and tells me a pretty good idea where all the cymbals are placed, the highs are pretty nice with the different variety of cymbals (China's sound a little off if they are hit too hard or are too big though), and the lows are very nice. Not that big of a range at all, but the impact of the bass is pretty strong.

Here is where I will post what I am currently looking for in my next IEM purchase: For my second IEM, I am looking for something I can use on the go, on the bus, in the library, and anything involving not being at my house. In this choice of selection, I will mainly be looking at IEMs with a high bass range, and a pretty dynamic soundstage. This IEM will mainly be revolved around all sorts of bass, just as the Turbine is, but maybe with a different sound signature and potentially stronger? Isolation isn't really a big deal here since I am actually never in extremely loud places, and anything else I might be forgetting isn't important enough for me to remember it.

Also, with every new IEM I purchase, I will try to put out a little mini review in a new post, just to potentially assist someone else who may be in the looking for that same pair.

Currently looking at for this IEM choice: FX500, CKS70, IE8, M5

IEM List w/ reason of purchase and usage

- Monster Turbines: Purchased due to their clarity/instrument separation, isolation, and overall bass output. Used for sleep listening and playing drums

Sep 10, 2009 at 5:13 PM Post #3 of 53
Where did I say I was buying a load of low quality IEMs? That is actually the complete opposite of what I'm doing.

For this collection, I'm probably not going to spend less than $200 on each IEM.

This is a quality collection, not a quantity collection.

Sep 10, 2009 at 5:22 PM Post #5 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by iriverdude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So why buy several lesser grade @ $200 each, rather than a single $1000 high end IEM? Same principle.

Cause I am a collector. I'd rather not get into all the things I have collected over the years of my life cause this post would easily reach the character limit.

I want diversity in these IEMs. I can't even imagine how many IEMs there are out there that just one company make...inside the US. With other companies, and searching all over this area, there is just too many choices to be spoiled by one.

I am also quite money paranoid, and paranoid overall. I definitely would not want to spend $1000 on one super IEM. What if the cables come loose? What if the mold morphs a little bit? What if my ears magically transform a centimeter to the north, haha. And if it does break, I'm going to be $1000 out, and having to search for potential weeks trying to find another godly IEM to match it.

Sep 10, 2009 at 5:24 PM Post #6 of 53
From my experience, I would buy a nice custom and call it a day. That is all you will ever need. Why waist all that money on universals that will not be near as comfortable, and will not sound as good.

With the price of very good customs today... it's not even a question imo.

Sep 10, 2009 at 5:29 PM Post #7 of 53
Because money doesn't equal greatness. Typically someone aims for the bang for the buck aspect. This typically keeps you out of the upper echelon of the product range, away from the +$1k customs. If a person can be happy at $200, why spend $1000? There are a lot of great products within this price range. There is also the matter of expendability. Are you willing to lose a pair of $1k earphones at school by accident or damage them by accident? Depending on use, there is a certain risk and willingness of loss.

I would suggest you purchase a couple of the very well known, highly regarded products, say the ER4S IEM and Yuin PK1 bud. Kind of look at the standards of the industry so to speak and get a reference point of what good should be. You should be able to step towards other products and have a good reference point to work from. Read through the IEM shootouts ClieOS did. He has a good reference relative to ultimate performance as well as bang for the buck of a good array of earphones.

If possible, keep a good portion of them (don't buy one, sell it and buy another). This gives you the luxury of very directly comparing and contrasting earphones and makes interpretation between phones much easier then simply relying on memory which fades and skews over time. This approach can just get costly though.

Sep 10, 2009 at 5:37 PM Post #8 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by mvw2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Because money doesn't equal greatness. Typically someone aims for the bang for the buck aspect. This typically keeps you out of the upper echelon of the product range, away from the +$1k customs. If a person can be happy at $200, why spend $1000? There are a lot of great products within this price range. There is also the matter of expendability. Are you willing to lose a pair of $1k earphones at school by accident or damage them by accident? Depending on use, there is a certain risk and willingness of loss.

I would suggest you purchase a couple of the very well known, highly regarded products, say the ER4S IEM and Yuin PK1 bud. Kind of look at the standards of the industry so to speak and get a reference point of what good should be. You should be able to step towards other products and have a good reference point to work from. Read through the IEM shootouts ClieOS did. He has a good reference relative to ultimate performance as well as bang for the buck of a good array of earphones.

If possible, keep a good portion of them (don't buy one, sell it and buy another). This gives you the luxury of very directly comparing and contrasting earphones and makes interpretation between phones much easier then simply relying on memory which fades and skews over time. This approach can just get costly though.

This was very well put mv. I want an IEM collection of diverse, different sound signature IEMs.

But grrrr, let's get back on topic. Please read what the what I am looking for in an IEM.

Actually, let me reword this. I want to experience all the different worlds of IEMs. I dont want just one extremely expensive, godly IEM that has the best of the best. I also am easily satisfied at the sub $300 range. Why do I need to spend $1000 when many things can go wrong. Have backups and different sound signatures.

I hope I put this well enough that everyone can understand exactly what I am attempting to accomplish with this collection.

I also want to be someone who has had many experiences with the different signatures, and isn't one who knows everything about one IEM, but can only apply his knowledge when someone makes a thread asking about that one IEM.

Sep 10, 2009 at 5:45 PM Post #9 of 53
uhm....

UE super.fi 5 pro?

or get some cheap customs done, like livewires, or both. you don't sound like you're short on cash...

those would be fine additions to your collection.

also, i'd pick up some etymotic er4p, which is something of a benchmark of IEMs, or so i've read. the hf5 looks nice too (mainly because it comes in blue
tongue.gif
)

Sep 10, 2009 at 6:01 PM Post #10 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by mvw2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Who said you have too spend 1000+ for great customs?

Sep 10, 2009 at 6:12 PM Post #11 of 53
I think your "eyes wide open" approach is good, invisible.

May your collection prosper, and good listening to you!! It's all about the music!!

Sep 10, 2009 at 6:14 PM Post #12 of 53
I actually have been wanting a pair of UE 5 Pros for awhile now, and there are some pretty sales going on at Head-Fi at the moment. How do they stack up to the EB edition? Is the bass in the EB maybe too forward, and sometimes muddy, possibly forced? Also, how does the 5 v2's compare to these two?

Is there anyone that owns any Super.fi 5's that may also own Turbines? I would lime to know how they compare/contrast in soundstage, bass range, and lows.

Sep 10, 2009 at 7:55 PM Post #15 of 53
as it is pointless to have several books on the same subject or several people having several opinions

why not just buy the most expensive thing each company makes and call it a day, then you would never require to deal with us lesser mortals again. you really are a misery you know that

Users who are viewing this thread

Back