Starter headphones for a noob. First Post!
Nov 7, 2008 at 7:12 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

indofulioh

New Head-Fier
Basically im a starter here at head-fi

ive been floating around head fi since a long time but really never got the money for some new headphones. Ive been around long enough to know whats really bad(skullcandy,bose, ibuds etc) and whats high end (grado, audio technica, stax, etc) and other basic stuff.

So i need some headphones for portable use(walking around campus) for now. I already have the koss ksc75 and theyre amazing but they really dont do a good job blocking noise. So im looking to buy something in the 50 dollar range and will isolate. I also dont want something bulky, portable please.

50 dollar - ish budget, closed, and i like bass. This is mainly for portable use and walking around campus, to class, etc. This will be for my ipod classic, and sansa clip

Im thinking about a Soundmagic pl30 and fiio e3 amp combo. Is this good? might order from head-direct.

Anything better?
thanks in advance.

Nov 7, 2008 at 8:04 AM Post #2 of 13
Nov 8, 2008 at 2:14 AM Post #4 of 13
I think the Soundmagic PL30's are very good for the "budget" level. They isolate more than a bud like the Yuins but less than a deep in-ear phone like the Etymotics.

The PL30's have significantly better sound than the Sennheiser CX300's, for one example.

Nov 8, 2008 at 2:35 AM Post #5 of 13
RadioShack has Koss KSC75's on clearence for $5.47usd incase you want a backup pair, or a pair to mod.
Sony NC6 is about $49. Not really closed, but the noise cancelling works well, and i like the sound for the price, but theyre larger than KSC75's. I dont know if youre only concidering IEMs etc.

Nov 8, 2008 at 3:07 AM Post #6 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by indofulioh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
but arent the sennheisers from focalprice fake?

I don't really know .Some other people in the thread say they are real I say I don't beleive they are real. but I may be wrong and since I was the only one who thought they were fakes I didn't want him to miss an opportunity

Nov 8, 2008 at 3:46 AM Post #8 of 13
Why not just pay for some high end buds, and be done with it? Eventually u'll upgrade with better sound... :p

Nov 8, 2008 at 6:28 AM Post #10 of 13
I was worried about my Senn CX300 I bought from Amazon when I did 'cause they were still $90 MSRP back then and I got them for $30. And I personally like the upgrading part, cheap ibud type phones, to cx300, to sleek sa6 haha.

Nov 8, 2008 at 6:45 AM Post #11 of 13
There is another thread where someone posted Sennheiser's reply to a query where they said the focalprice ones were fake.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back