Start Making Your Plans For 2011 CanJam @ RMAF (Rocky Mountain Audio Fest)!
Sep 26, 2011 at 4:40 PM Post #166 of 262
As an update from my previous gear-related posts, I will not be bringing any of my electrostatic gear to display at the show, as I will now be unable to attend Saturday (10/15) and Sunday (10/16). (Friday is only a half-day for the show and it wouldn't make much sense to bring the electrostatic gear for only ~6 hours of display time.) I might be attending Friday 10/14 though and in that case I might still be bringing my laptop PC-based setup with only the Audio-Technica AD2000 and ES7, HeadAmp Gilmore Lite, and Arcam rDac.

Hope to run into as many old & new faces as possible if I can make it 10/14 - will certainly be trying to, as I haven't missed a single Head-Fi "National Meet" yet. This will be the first time I'll have to miss part of one though, due to completely unforeseen circumstances. I would've liked to re-schedule the unforeseen conflict but there was no way around it unfortunately.

I might not be doing any post-reporting of the show if I attend (even for just the one day that I'd be there) - that means no pictures or gear impressions. So to the other Head-Fiers who'll be attending, I'd like to encourage everyone else to take pictures and notes to help fill in on the collective "meet impressions" that will inevitably follow.

Sep 26, 2011 at 10:10 PM Post #169 of 262
Just registered, picked a hotel, and ordered a shirt. I'm wondering though if Vsonic is going to be there, because I'm curious about the GR07, or perhaps another vendor will have them?

Sep 26, 2011 at 11:18 PM Post #170 of 262

Quote:
Just registered, picked a hotel, and ordered a shirt. I'm wondering though if Vsonic is going to be there, because I'm curious about the GR07, or perhaps another vendor will have them?

I'm also curious!  I imagine someone will have them...

Sep 27, 2011 at 10:27 AM Post #171 of 262
For the people flying into DEN airport, what's the best way to get to the Tech Center area?  Somebody had mentioned the RTD Light Rail, but I don't see a station in/near the airport itself.  Do you have to take a bus to the nearest station and then use the light rail?

Edit: Found some information on the RMAF website regarding cabs and shuttle services (http://audiofest.net/2011/accommodations.php?Sid=f6a58756da23850c05ad303c1d77da6e), but nothing about public transportation.

Sep 27, 2011 at 10:36 AM Post #172 of 262
My generous offer of a private car ride to and fro Denver Airport and Marriott Tech Hotel is now retracted.  The offer no longer stands. 

Sep 27, 2011 at 1:11 PM Post #173 of 262
Quote:
For the people flying into DEN airport, what's the best way to get to the Tech Center area?  Somebody had mentioned the RTD Light Rail, but I don't see a station in/near the airport itself.  Do you have to take a bus to the nearest station and then use the light rail?

Edit: Found some information on the RMAF website regarding cabs and shuttle services (http://audiofest.net/2011/accommodations.php?Sid=f6a58756da23850c05ad303c1d77da6e), but nothing about public transportation.

Public transportation info from DIA (the airport) to the DTC (RMAF hotel area) below. Fares not covered, this is only for the route. Fare info available from the links provided.

RTD Light Rail info:
- General info & fares: http://www.rtd-denver.com/lightRail_subHome.shtml
- System Map: http://www.rtd-denver.com/LightRail_Map.shtml

Notes:
(1) No public transportation goes directly to the DTC from DIA - must go to downtown Denver first, and then to the DTC. Travel time between DIA and the DTC on public transportation can be expected to take roughly 1.5 to 2 hours, so allow enough time, especially if using it to catch a return flight back home. If time becomes an issue for the return flight, the SuperShuttle from the RMAF Marriott DTC is strongly recommended - it's a highly used option for most RMAF attendees, in fact. The SuperShuttle ride can be expected to take approximately 30 minutes. (The SuperShuttle is frequently shared with other travelers to minimize cost, and on Sunday 10/16, RMAF has scheduled times for travelers to share rides.)

(2) DIA frequently has a very long security checkpoint line and is very susceptible to delays. I highly recommend allowing at least 1 hour in advance of flight time boarding (i.e., 30 minutes before your scheduled flight time, so 1.5 hours total before your flight time) for the security line, plus around 45 minutes for the checked baggage line (if checking a bag). Allowing even more time is typically recommended though, especially for travel on a Sunday evening, when the airport can be especially crowded.

1. Take the RTD bus "AF" from Island 5, Level 5 of either side of the DIA main terminal (West or East) to Market Street Station (downtown Denver).

RTD bus AF schedule: http://www3.rtd-denver.com/schedules/getSchedule.action?runboardId=113&routeId=AF&routeType=9&direction=W-Bound&serviceType=3

2A. From Market Street Station, walk to Union Station and take the RTD light rail line E to Belleview Station. Line E operates weekdays & weekends, with trains running every half-hour (approximately).

RTD light rail, line E schedule: http://www3.rtd-denver.com/schedules/getSchedule.action?runboardId=113&routeId=101&routeType=2&lineName=SE&branch=E&&direction=S-Bound&serviceType=3

2B. Alternately, stay at Market Street Station to take RTD light rail line F to Belleview Station. Line F operates weekdays only (not weekends), with trains running every 15 minutes.

RTD light rail, line F schedule: http://www3.rtd-denver.com/schedules/getSchedule.action?runboardId=113&routeId=101&routeType=2&lineName=SE&branch=F&&direction=S-Bound&serviceType=3

A walking map for Market Street Station (dotted) and Union Station (for light rail line E): (Falling Rock Tap House, highlighted, is a great location for drinks btw, with more than 100 beers on tap)

3. From Belleview Station, walk to the Marriott DTC (RMAF location), or alternately the Hilton Garden Inn DTC or Hyatt Regency DTC (both are nearby). This is not very far of a walk, anyone should be able to easily do it.

A walking map for Belleview Station to the RMAF Marriott DTC and nearby hotels:

* Market Street Station and Union Station are both in downtown Denver along the 16th Street Mall, around which are a lot of good (but pricey) restaurants & bars. Some notable tourist attractions are nearby as well, including the Museum of Contemporary Art and Civic Center Park (including the State Capitol), among others.

Click the maps to open an expanded, easier to see, image. (Head-Fi scaled them down upon import.)

Sep 27, 2011 at 3:11 PM Post #175 of 262
How much does a cab cost?

EDIT: n/m, checked the helpful links above.  Looks like $45 - $65 each way.

Also, renting a car is cheap out there!

i rented a car friday through sunday for $75.51 total.
i think this is the best option,even though it is a little more money than super shuttle,
it is nice to have a car and not be completely captive in the hotel for 3 days

Sep 28, 2011 at 3:04 AM Post #177 of 262
Quote:
i rented a car friday through sunday for $75.51 total.
i think this is the best option,even though it is a little more money than super shuttle,
it is nice to have a car and not be completely captive in the hotel for 3 days

No offense, but renting a car for RMAF seems to me a waste of money for 2 primary reasons:

(1) The RMAF speaker show itself is more than big enough to occupy your time Friday through Sunday non-stop. You could spend just 10 minutes per room every day (at least 10 minutes waiting per room in cases - as you'll inevitably have to wait for someone else to finish listening) and still not see every room. And I'm not even including the Head-Fi room, if you're planning on listening to headphone gear.

(2) Unless you know exactly where you're going or will be offering transportation to fellow Head-Fiers, I don't see why you'd need a car. There are restaurants within walking distance. The area around the DTC consists mostly of tech companies, restaurants, and stores, and it's bounded by two highways. The nearest "tourist attraction" area is downtown Denver, which is 15-20 minutes up the highway, and then you have to deal with parking the rental car, which is very expensive in Denver. The RTD light rail station next to the hotel (Belleview Station) can get you to downtown more easily (though it does take a bit longer), and it'll take you directly to the heart of downtown, the 16th Street Mall.

(3) You'd also have to contend with the limited parking at the Marriott DTC. Every year the parking fills up and lots of people end up having to park elsewhere later on in the day.

The only valid reason I could see someone having for a rental car would be to explore beyond Denver for whatever reason (like going up into the mountains being the best example I can think of), but if you're not planning on doing that, I'd recommend cancelling your rental car. The entire area around the DTC for 30-45 minutes in every direction consists solely of residential suburbs (with the exception of downtown Denver obviously) - really not much to check out in that aspect.

Oh and I know of at least 4 CO locals who'll be there with their cars - if you really want to get out somewhere, why not ask for a ride?

Sep 28, 2011 at 9:26 AM Post #179 of 262
Do we need to register for the Saturday night head-fi party?

Sep 28, 2011 at 10:23 AM Post #180 of 262
Just two weeks away now ..... Woot! Looking forward to seeing you guys. I'll be walking around reporting on the headphone related vendors, if you see me (old fart in Hawaiian shirt) please feel free to say howdy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back