Star Wars: AOTC: Unfinished business. (SPOILERS)
May 18, 2002 at 12:54 AM Post #31 of 64
Quote:

Also, george lucas has already confirmed that the clones wars are over or near over at the beginning of episode 3. it was on theforce.net a while ago.

That's a shame. I thought the rendering of the stormtroopers was one of the top SFX highlights of the movie, and was rather looking forward to cheering them on a bit more in Ep. III while they were still fighting for the good side.

Stormtroopers as protagonists gave me quite a creepy thrill, must say. Kind of like my reaction to the ebullience of Starship Troopers and its German SS undertones.

May 18, 2002 at 7:11 PM Post #32 of 64
Alright, I'll be honest . . . I'm no diehard Star Wars fanatic. I do, however, love all the movies, I'm just not the man to ask about the details from the Special Edition movies, books, or the website.

Anyway, my thoughts on the movie as someone who is not an expert on Star Wars; so in other words, an outsider's view:

1) Acting. I couldn't decide whether or not the guy who played Anakin was a good actor or not. Some of his emotional lines were delivered well, I thought, but some of his other lines were plagued with very bad delivery, and some of the lines, too, were written poorly for the script! For example, "I don't like sand. It's corse, rough, irrititating. Unlike you, Padme . . . smooth, soft"
It went something like that; I think it was a combo of cheesy writing and so-so acting that made that line memorably deplorable.

2) Natalie Portman. I'm surprised nobody has mentioned this, but she was DAMN HOT in this film. I think that all of those sexy outfits she was put in (such as the ripped white skin tight top) were perhaps to appease the non-diehard Star Wars viewers such as myself. I must admit that if she was not in the movie, or not as sexily outfitted, I might not have exited the theatre that night with the smile that I did.

3) Storyline Considering I have never read the books and don't really plan to, I am dependant solely upon the film to guide my understandings of the storyline and plot. It took me a little bit to understand some of the events and why they were happening, but this thread has filled up many of the loose-ends that I had even after the end of this film.

Anyway . . . I'm going to see AOTC again probably, for one particular reason. Perhaps you can guess what that reason would be . .
wink.gif
evil_smiley.gif
tongue.gif

May 18, 2002 at 7:34 PM Post #33 of 64
By the way, did anyone notice how the "love theme", the only new tune that stands out in this one, is actually a variation on the main Star Wars theme? Very well done variation without any doubt, but I just thought that was interesting.

May 19, 2002 at 5:15 AM Post #34 of 64
Quote:

Originally posted by HD-5000
The now-emperor Palpatine will use the clone troops to destroy the Jedi Knights. Anakin Skywalker will agree to become Palpatine's apprentice, thus becoming Darth Vader and he will probably kill Count Dooku, taking his place. He will kill as many Jedi as possible. The newly formed Empire will begin construction of the Death Star while fighting back the other worlds that do not join them(?)

How do you think (politically) Palpatine will initiate an empire? We see the seeds of his despotism growing, but what will happen that will propel him from merely having temporary powers to being Emperor?

Quote:

Meanwhile, Padme will give birth to Luke and Leia. My guess is that Padme will die, because she was not present in A New Hope. Remember when Leia once said that her mother died soon after her birth?

When do you think Padme and Anakin "get it on"? Anakin will be busy fighting the clone wars, too busy to 'get busy'.

I guess that he and Padme will get together after the war (technically, when the next movie will begin). That's about the time I think that Palpatine will make his biggest power grab and attempt to maintain his 'temporary powers' under the guise of keeping order. The Jedi will recognize his power grab, and he will seduce Anakin by convincing him the Jedi are his enemy.

Quote:

Vader will challenge Obi-Wan, but he will be defeated and after suffering injuries, he will have to wear the black life-supporting suit.

I wonder if the slaughter of the Jedi will happen before Anakin needs the 'Vader's suit, or if because of the fighting (with Obi-Wan?) he will need the suit.

So many questions! So much time to guess!

I hope that the very last shot of the third movie is the first time (chronologically) we see Anakin in full Vader regalia. What a great way to end the series! Fade to black, with only the Vader breathing to be heard!

May 19, 2002 at 5:57 AM Post #35 of 64
Quote:

I hope that the very last shot of the third movie is the first time (chronologically) we see Anakin in full Vader regalia. What a great way to end the series! Fade to black, with only the Vader breathing to be heard!

YES!!! Absolutely agree. I don't really care how Lucas unfolds the plot of Ep. III, but I've been secretly hoping that Darth Vader presents himself the way you describe. Imagine him on bent knee, intoning "What is thy bidding, my master?" He looks up, fade to black, and we hear him breathe once. Yowza.

I also like the idea of Anakin turning against the Jedi Council when Padme is killed in Obiwan's presence. For example, I envision a battle scene where the three are fighting together, Anakin is called away by Palpatine, only to return to find that Padme has died.

aos - yeah, I noticed that too! I really like what Williams has done with the prequels. My favorite is the way little Anakin's theme segues into Vader's theme. OTOH, recently his music in general has become less melodic and more compositionally complex. Probably why he hasn't been winning as many Oscars recently.

I might be mistaken, but I seem to remember that Williams usually ends a movie that will have a sequel with a sustained note. This was the case in Jurassic Park and the Lost World, as well as ANH, ESB, and TPM. But AOTC didn't have one. Not that it matters.
smily_headphones1.gif

May 19, 2002 at 6:57 AM Post #36 of 64
that ending probably wont happen though, since lucas has a tradition of ending each star wars movie with no dialogue....

you mite see vader at the end, just with no dialogue though...

seriously if you watch every movie each one ends with no dialogue

SW: Medals are given, no dialogue
ESB: Luke + Leia look out into space, no dialogue
ROTJ: Ewok celebration, no dialogue
TPM: Naboo Parade, no dialogue
AOTC: SPOILER, no dialogue

May 19, 2002 at 12:13 PM Post #37 of 64
Virtually all of the plot questions and directions are answered (or strongly foreshadowed) by the book.

May 19, 2002 at 2:00 PM Post #38 of 64
Here are my thoughts

I think mace windu is evil and will betray the jedi council. notice his color of his lightsabre and how he took down jango fett like he was ordered to do so.

palpatine will prob kill padme blaming her death on obi-wan to turn anakin to the dark side then gets his butt kicked(i heard he fell in lava or something?? while fighting obi wan) and has to wear the suit

dooku might be good/neutral, there were alot of hints of this.
He could of finished obi-wan but he choose to maim him instead.
I think he took anakin's arm off coz he senses hate in him.
i think he made that pillar fall on obi/ani knowing yoda can save them securing his escape but while this was going on....yoda was using most of his strength to safe them 2...while this was going on dooku could have ran over and diced them all up good. in a way i think dooku was like vader in return of the jedi in the last scene.

and yeah natalie portman was looking really nice in that 2 piece outfit she was wearing in the arena
cool.gif

oh i couldnt help laughing when yoda walks in with the help of his walking stick...then brings out a lightsabre kicks ass like a monkey on fire, wielding a lightsabre of course then goes back to his old man mode after he's done.

I say it yesterday, overall i was pretty disapointed in the movie.
c'mon atleast have yoda kill dooku.

May 19, 2002 at 7:23 PM Post #39 of 64
I have a personaly theory on what will happen.

I think that in the next movie, Anakin and Duckoo will battle it out again. Duckoo will ultimately win, severely injuring Anakin but then Sidious will intervene and kill off Duckoo realizing that Anakin has more potential (maybe he even knows that he revealed the truth to Obi Wan and tried to join forces with him to overthrow him), saving Anakin. Anakin then has to wear the suit and will become Darth Vader.

That's my theory anyways.

May 20, 2002 at 4:25 PM Post #40 of 64
The clone army was definitely ordered by Palpatine. Remember when Anakin asks Jango who hired him for the clone job? Jango says he was hired by a man named Tyrannus--aka Darth Tyrannus aka Count Dooku.

How does Palpatine turn the Republic against the Jedi? My guess is that Count Dooku has planted the seed. Note that the Jedi council is now wary about Sith infiltration in the Senate. My guess is that Palpatine will manipulate the Jedi into actually attacking or killing some suspect Senate members. Palpatine will then declare war on the Jedi, calling them renegade. Remember that he now has a magnificent clone army to back him too. The Senate will abolish the Jedi order, thinking their clone army is sufficient to protect the Republic. Anakin joins Palpatine and helps him hunt down the Jedi.

I think that Anakin has to turn before Padme dies. Remember that Vader is not aware that he has two kids. Therefore Padme had to leave Anakin before she gave birth, and then hid the kids with the assistance of Yoda/Obi-won. So I don't think Anakin turns because of Padme's death. Rather, she leaves after he turns and before she gives birth.

May 20, 2002 at 8:38 PM Post #41 of 64
Went and saw the movie for a second time this morning, and realized something else that will need to happen before A New Hope: R2D2 and C-3P0 will need to have their memories wiped. If this doesn't happen, then they would definitely remember being at that particular moisture farm, will remember the name Skywalker, and would be able to tell Luke a lot more than they did in episode 4. Remember how they didn't know who Kenobi was, when they were trying to deliver the message to him at the beginning of ANH?

Perhaps Obiwan will wipe their memories when he hides the twins away. That would make sense, as he would want to protect Luke's and Leia's identies as much as possible.

Owen and Beru would also remember all this going on, and would most likely remember 3P0 (because he worked for them for a long time). I'm not sure where that puts them. You would think that Owen would have avoided buying 3P0 from the Jawas, if he thought that 3P0 could connect Luke with his father.

Obiwan is supposed to be a general, serving with Bail (I think that's his first name) Organa (Leia's foster parent), during the Clone Wars.

Can't think of anything else right now.

May 20, 2002 at 9:11 PM Post #42 of 64
Well somehow Obi wan needs to lose memory of those droids as well. Doesn't he claim he's never seen R2D2 when the droid finds him on Tatooine? My memory isn't the greatest but he said something to that effect. Maybe it was just 'I've never owned such a droid' which would be true. But still you'd think he'd remember them.

May 20, 2002 at 9:28 PM Post #43 of 64
M.Sensation, I think youre theory of Count Dooku winning the battle against Anakin is wrong. Remember in ROTJ, when Luke defeated Vader, the emperor was insisting on Luke to finish him off. He didnt, so he resisted the dark side, which his father, Vader, could not when he was about his age. It will probably be that when they fight, anakin will kill Dooku, and after that murder, he will be comsumed by the dark side.

May 20, 2002 at 10:54 PM Post #44 of 64
I had fun reading this thread since I never really thought about all this stuff before. Thanks for helping me understand everything.
cool.gif

One question though: What happens to Yoda? Does the dark side become so powerful in Episode III that he must run away to that other planet where he later trains luke?

May 20, 2002 at 11:23 PM Post #45 of 64
You bring up valid points HD-5000, many of which I've overlooked. Somebody earlier mentioned that maybe Yoda defeats Duckoo at Dagobah, im starting to buy into this theory but am still trying to work it out in my mind. We know a powerful dark jedi died on Dagobah which enabled yoda to hide there for so long, and since we know that the Emperor/sidious lives through to ANH and on, we know it is not him that dies. Duckoo would be the only remaining choice unless...

1) another dark jedi is introduced in Ep III. However, this is unlikely as it is revealed in the first one that there are only 2; one master, one apprentice. Maybe that was just to throw all of us off?

2) Another dark jedi was killed there long ago which was never in this storyline.

Here is my new revised theory... dah nevermind, every new theory I have seems to contradict what Episodes IV-VI reveal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back