Star Wars: AOTC: Unfinished business. (SPOILERS)
May 17, 2002 at 5:37 PM Post #16 of 64
Count Dooku was the one that deleted the information of Kamino in the Jedi Archives.

The original script was posted on theforce.net a year ago, which was different than the actual final release of the film. There were 2 extra scenes that they filmed explaining dooku's separation from the Jedi Order. One was when obi wan visited the librarian, the other was a conference between mace and yoda with obi.

They explained in those scenes the whole story about the only 12 jedi to leave the jedi order. There also was a scene where obi finds the sith holocron in the archives, and the librarian gives the idea that it was hidden and accessed, but it seems as if it was a long time ago (visual dictionary hints that it was dooku who accessed the sith holocron).

May 17, 2002 at 5:42 PM Post #17 of 64
Okay the real deal:

Palpatine is Sidious. Palpatine realized that jumping into the limelight as the new HEAD OF THE SITH, would be a useless trial in which he would certainly lose to the power of the Jedi. Sidious is not all-powerful, but he is mighty! As Palpatine, a senator for Naboo, he realized that by manipulating certain factions, he could place himself in a position to be elected chancellor. That was the entire premise behing TPM. He knew the in's and out's of his home world and so he jeapordized his people so that he might get elected. Playing the Trade Federation for fools and strong-arming them as Sidious was the perfect ploy. Meanwhile, as Palpatine, he slowly slithered his way up the ladder, and manipulated everyone in his path, included Queen Amidala.

Advance to the end of TPM. The Queen's reign is almost over (as mentioned in AOTC, it is only for 2 terms), and she will now be needing to pursue other avenues of politics. In the meantime, she, most probably on the suggestion of Palpatine, opts to appoint Jar Jar as a senator. Palpatine knew that after the mass destruction the droid army caused on Naboo, both the Gungans and the Naboo people would have to form a new pact, alliancing themselves to grow into a democracy or at least a proper symbiotic cohabitation. The Queen, selected Jar Jar to go to Coruscant, a perfect place for Palpatine to watch over him and "guide" him. In AOTC, when Padme was heading back to Naboo, Jar Jar was requested to act in the best interest of Naboo. Notice how slyly Palpatine suggests someone with much gumption request that the chancellor be given full executive power through an emergency act (Not unlike the US's FEMA deal with the President). Now, as Sidious he has control of the Trade Federation, and the newly formed separatists, headed by his new apprentice Dooku. At the other end, he has full control of the Republic and "permission" to create an army.

Ten years prior he knew that the attack on Naboo had stirred up many complaints that the Republic really didn't have the capabilities to handle interplantary disputes on the scale that the Trade Federation had initiated with their droid army. As wiley as he is, I am certain, he put into motion through the other Jedi master (can't remember his name) to start a secret army of clones (genetically programmable, easily manipulated - i.e. not fully sentient - able to make decisions, read free will). By instigating more trouble with the droid army and the separatists, eh would be able to "magically" come to the rescue of the galaxy with this "secret, but now revealed in the nick of time" army. No one will care that this happened, because 1) he just got permission to build one and 2) he just saved the galaxy from "terrorists" as it were. Becauset he clones are more efficient, he cuts his ties with the droid army, destroys the separatists, his alter-ego: Sidious, remains secret, and it looks like a renegade Jedi master, once the Paduan of Yoda, is behind it all. As Palpatine he is a hero and he slowly pushes his budding army throughout the galaxy where he will soon be able to, in one fell swoop, take full control. Remember in ANH, the Emperor dissolves the senate, giving control to regional governors who have a surplus of storm troopers (next level clones) at their service.

All this done without really revealing he was a dark lord guru force master.

So, in a nutshell: Palpatine=Sidious and as both identities, he put into motion this entire plan in order to gain power on both sides, manipulating both sides, taking down both sides...and eventually controlling a galaxy. Albeit for only a short while...4-6 years.

May 17, 2002 at 6:16 PM Post #18 of 64
Quote:

Originally posted by James

1280x1024 video is quite smooth and detailed even at that size. I think HDTV's field of view/resolution is about the same, too, or maybe a bit better.

Actually I think the movie was shot in 1920 X 1080,
which I believe is the max resolution in the hdtv spec.

When I saw it looked like there was some noticible artifacting fron the transfer, especially at dark scenes.

May 17, 2002 at 6:23 PM Post #19 of 64
You sayz it right Zanth. Frustratingly, I too cannot remember the name of the Jedi who ordered the clones, even though it got mentioned quite a few times. I'm still a bit fuzzy on whether Sidious was going under another name when he ordered the clones, but you're probably right: Darth Sidious never involves himself with anyone but his apprentices.

By the way, wasn't Boba supposed to be Jango's son? If I didn't hear it wrong, Boba is actually Jango's clone. Or is Boba really Jango's son, and Jango's unaltered clone is elsewhere?

Speaking of unfinished business, is Anakin's slaughter of the sand raiders ever going to be acted on by the council? Will it be a pivotal event in the future? Sure as hell didn't seem pivotal in this movie. In fact, for all his whining about his mentor, Anakin seemed to have made peace with Obiwan by the final battle. That part was a bit strange; I must've missed something.

I need to get this out of my system: I think the worst "Lucas-y" part of the movie, aside from the dialogue and direction, was the lack of agonized screaming when Anakin's arm came off. That would have been a fine way to evoke those horrible memories of Vader disarming Luke.

May 17, 2002 at 6:39 PM Post #20 of 64
There was no lack of agonized screaming from Natalie Portman when she was hit by chain or claws or whatever in the arena battle. It was incredibly well acted scene, and maybe the most realisitic scream of pain I've heard on a movie.

May 17, 2002 at 6:41 PM Post #21 of 64
Quote:

You're right, I had forgotten. However, 1920x1080, 24 fps, progressive is not HDTV spec, unfortunately. It can only handle that resolution interlaced (at 60 fields per second, I think). Good for a big 21" computer monitor, though! Really can't wait for HD-DVD.

Thanks for the pointer about the down-conversion artifacts; I'll look for it when I go to NY (I live in DLP wasteland, session76, thanks for rubbing it in
smily_headphones1.gif
). I should point out that not all scenes are necessarily down-converted:

Quote:

HD aspect ratio is 16:9 and Panavision anamorphic is 2.35:1. What aspect ratio was Episode II filmed in and how was this accomplished?
McCallum: We shot in HD native aspect ratio of 1.78:1. This allows us to choose our 2.35, our anamorphic crop within the frame. It's like shooting VistaVision. We can extract our 2.35 frame and crop anywhere we want to in the exposed frame, which for George is a really powerful instrument because he loves to cut and paste one section of a frame and use it in another section. It allows you to pan, re-frame, and start from the bottom of the frame and pan up to the top of the frame if you want to pan it. We can also safely blow-up any image by a factor of 100 percent. The most we could even get away with on 35mm was 15 percent and the most on VistaVision was 17 percent.

See the rest of the interview here

May 17, 2002 at 6:46 PM Post #22 of 64
Quote:

There was no lack of agonized screaming from Natalie Portman when she was hit by chain or claws or whatever in the arena battle. It was incredibly well acted scene, and maybe the most realisitic scream of pain I've heard on a movie.

I remember that scene vividly, but I thought the screaming was the gasps of the guys in the audience in response to the highly-anticipated debut of Portman's belly button.

May 17, 2002 at 6:51 PM Post #23 of 64
Quote:

Originally posted by AtEase

When I saw it looked like there was some noticible artifacting fron the transfer, especially at dark scenes.

Check out an informative technical specs for DLP site
http://www.dlp.com/dlp/cinema/Specs.asp?mid=143

the maximum resolution of the dlp projector is 1280 x 1074

I didn't notice any digital artifacts, at 72gb there shouldn't be that much compression to produce noticeable artifacts.

I did notice a picture that was very involving without constant reminders that I was watching a film like flicker and reel changes.

May 17, 2002 at 6:51 PM Post #24 of 64
As far as I can discern, Boba is the clone, but to make it easier on him...he just called him daddy. I would find it difficult to assume that he would look like the younger clones and Jango would have had time as a bounty hunter to shag a lady...and then take care of a kid. Since they made direct mention of him keeping an unaltered clone for himself, I feel by direct extrapolation from that line....Boba is that very clone. It can make sense either way, but they sure didn't substantiate any other foundation for him being his biological son.

May 17, 2002 at 7:03 PM Post #25 of 64
Lest the issue gets out of hand, both session76 and AtEase are right. The digital cameras recorded in 1920x1080 24P, but the projectors work at 1280x1024.

What kinds of artifacts did you see, AtEase?

May 17, 2002 at 7:52 PM Post #26 of 64
Oh, the kid IS the clone, without doubt. They were very specific in the movie. They mentioned that he was unaltered, and specifically said they didn't use growth acceleration. Therefore, it's a 10 year old kid.

May 17, 2002 at 8:01 PM Post #27 of 64
Quote:

Originally posted by session76

I didn't notice any digital artifacts, at 72gb there shouldn't be that much compression to produce noticeable artifacts.

I wasn't talking about the kind of artifacts you get from digital compression, like blocking or ringing.
Some of the dark scenes had a fuzziness to them, hard to explain, but it was most noticeable early in the movie when anakin, and obi wan were guarding padme's apartment at night. I didn't see the film on a digital projector, so I'm assuming these "artifacts" arose from a poor transfer process.

May 17, 2002 at 8:41 PM Post #28 of 64
Quote:

I didn't see the film on a digital projector, so I'm assuming these "artifacts" arose from a poor transfer process.

Oh, woops, I misunderstood you. I thought you meant the artifacts were from the digital-to-digital conversion from 1920x1080 down to 1280x1024.

I wonder if the overall fuzziness I saw was because 35mm film is of much higher resolution than DLP? Kinda like the way a .jpg looks good on a computer monitor but prints awfully at the same size on a photo printer. BTW, can someone explain to me why this is?

May 17, 2002 at 9:17 PM Post #29 of 64
The now-emperor Palpatine will use the clone troops to destroy the Jedi Knights. Anakin Skywalker will agree to become Palpatine's apprentice, thus becoming Darth Vader and he will probably kill Count Dooku, taking his place. He will kill as many Jedi as possible. The newly formed Empire will begin construction of the Death Star while fighting back the other worlds that do not join them(?)

Meanwhile, Padme will give birth to Luke and Leia. My guess is that Padme will die, because she was not present in A New Hope.
Remember when Leia once said that her mother died soon after her birth?

The "good guys" which the Empire calls "rebels" will fight off the army.

Vader will challenge Obi-Wan, but he will be defeated and after suffering injuries, he will have to wear the black life-supporting suit.

Soon, most of the Jedi will be dead, with the excepting of Obi-Wan, Yoda, Darth Vader, and the emperor.

Finally, my last prediction will be that episode 3 will probably be called The War of the Clones, because the ending of episode 2 was the start of the war.

This is just my prediction from analysing the storyline from episode 2 and my skeleton knowledge from reading some Star Wars literature, so remember to not take my little prediction too seriously
biggrin.gif

May 18, 2002 at 12:15 AM Post #30 of 64
anakin does kill count dooku, as rick mcallum has already said anakins vader costume comes from pieces of other peoples costumes, including count dookus cloak/cape.

Also, george lucas has already confirmed that the clones wars are over or near over at the beginning of episode 3. it was on theforce.net a while ago.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back