Star Trek vs. Star Wars
Oct 15, 2008 at 1:49 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 151

GlendaleViper

Yep, words.
Ok, so there may have been a million of these in the past, but my (admittedly half-assed) searches came up with no direct indications of a proper feud, so I'm a start it. It needs to be done.

Both of these series have a fanatical following, with deep histories and side stories that have made the jump to the written word and even video games. They share some similarities, but in fairness, couldn't be further apart.

So, do you prefer the Space Opera, or the Space Odyssey? I'm keeping the poll simple for voting purposes, but feel free to geek out in the thread regarding the superiority of episodes IV-VI compared to I-III or the depth of Next Generation vs. the Original series. There's a lot to cover and I'm sure there are at least a few of us who are willing to expose the inner nerd. Keeping the poll public for honesty.
wink.gif

Incidentally, I voted TREK by a landslide.

Oct 15, 2008 at 1:59 AM Post #2 of 151
Gotta be Star Trek. Star Wars just doesn't hold a candle to it, especially TNG.

Oct 15, 2008 at 2:01 AM Post #3 of 151
Sorry dude, I grew up watching the origainal star-trek and love love love it, the newer stuff even more so, but there is something about the star-wars saga that is so, I don't know, monumental, whereas star-trek is like a nine-to-five "go to work exploring the universe" kinda show, know what I mean.

I really love both, really.
If it should matter, I have both the StarWars and Star-Trek "manuals"
biggrin.gif

Oct 15, 2008 at 2:03 AM Post #4 of 151
I love both too. But with Star Trek, I have TNG and the original PLUS the movies, whereas I only consider the first Star Wars Trilogy a must-see.

...that, and Star Wars isn't actually science fiction.

Oct 15, 2008 at 2:19 AM Post #5 of 151
It would be cool if both would come out with some new shows/movies. The first StarWars movie was the very first movie I ever saw at the theater, my mom took me for my B-day.

Oct 15, 2008 at 2:38 AM Post #6 of 151
Go out and buy the Force Unleashed. That is all.

Oct 15, 2008 at 2:41 AM Post #7 of 151
Quote:

Originally Posted by MD1032 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Go out and buy the Force Unleashed. That is all.

You must really hate Star Wars.

Oct 15, 2008 at 2:45 AM Post #8 of 151
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kirosia /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You must really hate Star Wars.

Agreed. By the end of the demo I wanted to rip my hair out and then tape it to my chin. That said, I've clocked about 120 hours on Too Human... to each their own.

Oct 15, 2008 at 2:51 AM Post #9 of 151
Star Wars = win

I gotta admit that I'm a big fan of Star Wars. I've always been attracted to the whole story; whether it's the 6 movies, KOTOR series, fan-fic/comics/additional releases. Hence my avatar
biggrin.gif

Oct 15, 2008 at 3:14 AM Post #13 of 151
Star Wars does have a special place in my heart, but it's awfully sad when the story of two licensed roleplaying games is better than the story of the prequels and their multimillion dollar production values.

Star Trek is, well, a soap opera. In spaaaaaaaace. The TV shows, anyway, especially DS9. But the movies were pretty awesome, especially Insurrection and First Contact.

Oct 15, 2008 at 3:15 AM Post #14 of 151
Can a true geek not love both?

Incidentally, a breakdown for me would go:

Star Wars (Original Trilogy)-->Star Trek TNG-->Star Trek Movies (In whatever order)-->Star Trek Voyager-->Star Trek (Original Series)-->Star Wars (New Trilogy).

Note that Deep Space Nine makes no appearance on my list, if only because I have only seen 3-4 eps and haven't had the chance to watch the entire series in depth.

Oct 15, 2008 at 3:36 AM Post #15 of 151
See, this is where the whole thing gets fun, because you can't just pit SW against ST... you're going to find a number of people who end up criss crossing all over the place.

For me, Star Trek is THE place to get your Carl Sagan fix - the show that actually touched upon the realms of science in such a way that dramatized theories. But Star Wars has that epic fantasy going for it which puts it up against heavyweights like The Lord of the Rings trilogy.

If I were to rank them, it would go something like:

Star Trek: TNG > Star Trek > Star Wars (Original Trilogy) > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Voyager > Enterprise > Star Wars (New Trilogy) > Star Trek DS9

This is a little more than skewed, since I haven't given the novels or comics of either series any of my time whatsoever, but looking at it, should give you a good idea of where I stand when it comes to TRUE SF (IMO) vs. a space fantasy. Either way, I know we're going to have lovers of BOTH series here, and that's really what makes it more interesting (again IMO) compared to most somewhat-related space dramas.

Incidentally, if we were to plop the Stargate series into the mix, SG-1 finds itself FIRMLY in spot #2.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back