standard beta 22 vs rudistor rpx-33, which one is better?
Jun 1, 2008 at 6:44 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

waddragon

Banned
if my genre is pop/rock, and my can is grado hp2, L3000, and w5000
can anyone tell me which amp will be a better choice for me? (the beta 22 I am talking about is single end and has pretty standard circuit)
thanks

Jun 1, 2008 at 8:34 AM Post #3 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by waddragon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
if my genre is pop/rock, and my can is grado hp2, L3000, and w5000
can anyone tell me which amp will be a better choice for me? (the beta 22 I am talking about is single end and has pretty standard circuit)
thanks

More details on the Beta22 would be nice:
1) 2-channel or 3-channel?
2) Is it a single Sigma22 PSU or more?
3) Single box Beta22 + Sigma22 or two boxes (hum sometimes present in single-box solutions).
4) POT used - Alps RK27, Stepped Attenuator, Joshua Tree, etc

Jun 2, 2008 at 6:54 AM Post #4 of 8
Sorry to take over the thread! My choice would be 3 channel,stepped attenuator and two box setup. Hope i'm not interfering Waddragon! One of these two amps were my next choice.

Jun 2, 2008 at 9:06 PM Post #5 of 8
This is a good question. I'd also like to know. I'm assuming a fully decked 4 channel dual sigma22 balanced B22 would win out though right?
tongue.gif

Jun 3, 2008 at 5:11 AM Post #6 of 8
I guess it's worth pointing out price differential? And to make a more direct comparison, you can only compare the single ended configuration of the B22 vs the RPX33... or am I just missing the point.
tongue.gif

Jun 3, 2008 at 7:21 AM Post #7 of 8
He is comparing a s/e 3-ch, one-box Beta against the Rudi amp. The Beta was build by a very high quality builder and is reputed to be excellent and lacking in any hum issues. It was a mostly stock build using amb's recommend parts with a gain of 8 and the e22 backplane board. It uses an Alps RK40 Black Beauty pot, has an extremely well shielded transformer to eliminate any PS induced noise, two switchable inputs, and binding posts for speakers/K1000s on the back panel.

None of the cans you want to use are terribly hard to drive, but are not easy to drive well. I would say based on knowing the RPX-33 pretty well and knowing the Beta sound (I own one) and knowing the builder of the amp in question that the Beta would outshine the Rudi on all of those cans. The only benefit to the Rudi amp is the high and low ohm jacks, but I don't think it has the guts to drive your cans as well as the Beta would. Plus, the price of the Beta is ridiculously low.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back