SS - Tubes - Hybrid
Jan 4, 2009 at 8:05 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

Rakooon

100+ Head-Fier
I've been looking around this forum to discern a "simple" comparison between these kind of amp.I finally got overwhelmed by all kind of post.I was just looking for a good amp using with PRO750 or PRO900 but fell on these 3 types. Geez ! Its dawm complicated to make good decisions when you start from zero !! Im in process to get 1:New headphones, 2:Quality Cables, 3:Right DAC , 4:Right AMP. And there's to many info in this site !!!
redface.gif

Jan 4, 2009 at 8:55 AM Post #2 of 16
I can make it very easy for you.

Sennheiser HD650 headphones ($350USD)
Audio-GD Compass DAC/Amplifier ($250) USD
(н¨ÍøÒ³ 1, January 2009)
Connect your computer with a USB cable to the Compass.

Done.

Jan 4, 2009 at 6:02 PM Post #3 of 16
Rakooon, how much money are you willing to spend? Also will you be using a computer as a source or a dedicated cd-player?

Headphones are a very personal thing, what is good for A is horrible to B so I suggest you to to a meet or an store to try a few. I love the Ultrasone PROline 2500 and the HFI-780 w/ a re-cable by APureSound. Although both S2 Audio and ALO also provide good re-cabling options. Other cans to consider are the AKG K501, or K701, the Grado RS-1 or RS-2 and the Denon D2000/5000/7000.

As far as a DAC there are many options like: Stello DA100 Signature, Oritek V4.2, Monarchy NM24 DAC, etc.

Amps, well tube, hybrid, or SS? For example: Head Direct EF1, Woo Audio, Mapletree, Musical Fidelity, Rudistor, HeadRoom, etc.

After you have listened to a few rigs I would suggest you buy used. Much cheaper and it would be burnt in already.

Good luck.

Jan 4, 2009 at 6:46 PM Post #4 of 16
Yeah, buy something used. People get rid of great sounding stuff all the time and you can buy more music! Just keep reading, it will all filter through in a while.

Jan 4, 2009 at 8:53 PM Post #5 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Rakooon, how much money are you willing to spend? Also will you be using a computer as a source or a dedicated cd-player?

Headphones are a very personal thing, what is good for A is horrible to B so I suggest you to to a meet or an store to try a few. I love the Ultrasone PROline 2500 and the HFI-780 w/ a re-cable by APureSound. Although both S2 Audio and ALO also provide good re-cabling options. Other cans to consider are the AKG K501, or K701, the Grado RS-1 or RS-2 and the Denon D2000/5000/7000.

As far as a DAC there are many options like: Stello DA100 Signature, Oritek V4.2, Monarchy NM24 DAC, etc.

Amps, well tube, hybrid, or SS? For example: Head Direct EF1, Woo Audio, Mapletree, Musical Fidelity, Rudistor, HeadRoom, etc.

After you have listened to a few rigs I would suggest you buy used. Much cheaper and it would be burnt in already.

Good luck.

Thx for those exemple!I'll check it out. I'll use my phones with a laptop.But what i meant was, in PERFORMANCE ,SPECS, UTILITY , is each kind of amp got their own ability or its all "overally" the same thing ???

Jan 4, 2009 at 9:26 PM Post #6 of 16
I mean ... between TUBES,SS,HYBRIDS ????

Jan 4, 2009 at 10:14 PM Post #7 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rakooon /img/forum/go_quote.gif

It really depends on a lot of things to determine what is best for you. Such as what headphones you're going to be using. What kind of music you listen to. And lastly what source you have, because some sources put out a bright or dark sound that need to be complimented with the amplifier.

Jan 6, 2009 at 3:52 AM Post #8 of 16
Although over time you do accumulate more knowledge it doesn't seem to get any easier. I've been searching for a new amp for months and haven't been able to pull the trigger on anything and I've been listening to headphones seriously now for about 5 or 6 years.

Synergy is definitely very important as others have mentioned. In my case, I have been trying to find an amp that complements the Sony SA-5000. My source is on the neutral to dark side so I was leaning towards solid state. I also liked solid state for practical reasons. I have been reluctant to go with tubes since it can mean added expense although added flexibility to tailor your sound. However, I've recently been auditioning a tube amp and have decided the SA-5000 needs tubes to sound its best.

In general, solid state will give you a more analytical faster sound. Tubes can be warmer and softer, giving a more euphonic sound. Hybrids combine both without really sounding like either one; they're not quite as fast and detailed as solid state but not as warm as tubes. Of course, as with any generalization there are multiple exceptions.

Solid state amps do not generally give you much flexibility to alter the sound. There are some amps out there with socketed op-amps that allow you to change the chip to somewhat tailor the sound, but I've found differences to be somewhat subtle. Then there are solid state amps that do not use

Some tubes on the other hand will allow you to influence the sound to a greater extent with very noticeable differences.
On the other hand, tubes burn out eventually and finding "New Old Stock" of tubes can be difficult and expensive.

So there is no real answer to your question. At least not a simple answer. You can't lump all solid state amps into one category, and likewise for tubes and hybrids.

Jan 6, 2009 at 7:12 AM Post #9 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rakooon /img/forum/go_quote.gif

There is no simple answer, unfortunately. Erikzen gave a good general overview, and I agree, but there are exceptions, considerations and a variety of other issues to consider. The good news is that there are hundreds of good options new, used and DIY. You will find the right one, but you'll have to read a lot, research and (hopefully) attend a meet.

The best way to start down the path is to first focus on the headphones you want. Once you settle on a pair, go to its appreciation/owners thread and check out what other owners are amping with. Amps are usually a big part of the discussion in those threads. PM some of the owners and get their impressions. You should be able to narrow down a lot that way.

Don't get hung up on a particular variety of amp - all of them can be excellent - but look for one that has great synergy with your headphones. Be sure to consider used amps and building your own, too. Those two options will give you the most benefit for your dollar.

Jan 6, 2009 at 8:11 AM Post #10 of 16
Good tube amps sound better than good SS amps. Mediocre amps are mediocre, regardless of whether they are tube or SS. No amp will improve your source, so focus on a good source first, then a good tube amp, and finally some killer cans.

Jan 16, 2009 at 4:06 AM Post #12 of 16
I was well aware there were no exact answer to my question.Its was just for a basic overview since im really starting from zero and planning to get a set up of approx 1500 $ !
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
(A mix of breaking my stanton 2000 and discovering Head-Fi forum !!
wink_face.gif
))Btw thx for those great quick review,really helped my out. There's just one thing i want to be sure to understand.... I often see these expression "analytical,faster" , "softer,warm" ...... Is the difference between these "sound" can be describe in word ????
redface.gif

Im sure now of getting Pro900,Blue Drg Wired eventually balance.
From what i've seen so far , SS seem to be a better choice but i have a feeling i'll miss something not to take tube amp.And there's not alot of place speaking of good combination PRO900 / AMP.Oh my..... and this is just a temporary amp until i can get some killer stuff .....what will it be when i'll look for my real DAC and AMP...
frown.gif

Jan 16, 2009 at 5:54 AM Post #14 of 16
Jan 16, 2009 at 6:41 AM Post #15 of 16
I can personally recommend the Keces DA-152, which is a DAC and headphone amp combo. I just wrote a review about it here.

I normally really dig tubes, but I'm loving the neutrality of this solid state amp. If you find a pair of headphones that has a sound that you love, something like the Keces unit would be perfect for you, since it doesn't seem to really alter the sound all that much. It just spits music through, letting you hear what's really at the core of your headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back