SRH940 vs DT 880 --> Rock music + iPod Touch 4G
May 5, 2012 at 12:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 28

bueller20

New Head-Fier
I am torn. I was set on the SRH-940's, but then I started to read about the DT880's (250 and the 600). I will mainly use these headphones on my ipod, unamped, while I travel (on airplanes). I listen to 95% rock music (Foo Fighters, Pink Floyd, etc). 

The fact that the DT880's are semi-open is a slight concern on the plane, although they are much more comfortable than the SRH-940's. I have read though that the DT880's are hard to drive straight out of an ipod....

These are the final 2 cans in my shortlist, due to availability in my region. Any help or advice is appreciated! 

May 5, 2012 at 12:57 PM Post #2 of 28
For rock music & portability, you might consider the hd25 II.
I  don't like their comfort (I  even prefer iem) , but I  believe their sound signature was designed for mainstream music.
I  like the way the hd25 present vocals (quite forward) , and a slight mid bass emphasis would be nice in lot of "modern" music.

May 5, 2012 at 1:06 PM Post #3 of 28
Quote:
For rock music & portability, you might consider the hd25 II.
I  don't like their comfort (I  even prefer iem) , but I  believe their sound signature was designed for mainstream music.
I  like the way the hd25 present vocals (quite forward) , and a slight mid bass emphasis would be nice in lot of "modern" music.

+1 the shures are not very good for rock music, and the beyers are semi open so they do not block out sound and everyone will be able too hear what you are listening too and you need a amp and both are not really portable headphones. so can you get the hd25s in your area?

May 5, 2012 at 1:19 PM Post #4 of 28
Thanks for the replies! My issue with the HD25's is that they are not over ear...I had a pair of on-ear cans, and for me anyways, after an hour or so my ears started to hurt..over-ear is my preferred option.

May 5, 2012 at 2:13 PM Post #10 of 28
for the music types you like and the need for some isolation I would recommend the SRH-940. I listen to a lot of similar music and really appreciate the 940's presentation and isolation.

May 5, 2012 at 5:37 PM Post #12 of 28
The SRH940 is good for rock, although they are a little bass-light without EQ. You will also have no problem driving them with any source you throw at them, they are not very picky that way.
They are; however, immensely uncomfortable for many people. Naturally, your mileage may vary, but be warned that a lot of people experience huge amounts of discomfort caused by their badly designed headband.

May 5, 2012 at 6:24 PM Post #13 of 28
I  prefer the hd25 over the srh940 for rock/pop. But comfort of hd25 sucks, I  just bought them because I  wanted something with a good reputation for bass, but at the end I  could live without them.  If it wasn't just for rock/pop music, I  like the srh940 much  more overall .

The srh940 are enough comfy to wear three hours. In comparison , I can wear the hd595 endlessly, and I have enough of the hd25 after a half hour.

May 5, 2012 at 11:21 PM Post #14 of 28
Thanks for all the feedback. I am still debating between the SRH940's and the DT770 Pro's, and endlessly searching this forum for information.

The DT770 Pro 80 seem to be the best bet for driving with just an ipod and no amp. Any thoughts?

May 5, 2012 at 11:55 PM Post #15 of 28
Mhm, mhm. I do back up this suggestion. The M50's are pretty good all rounders! Closed and circumaural!

[Off-topic] For home use, I recommend the Grado or Alessandro series ;D  

All the best,
Quote:
the m50s are good all around headphones 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back