SRH940 - Latest Info Via Shure (April 11, 2011)
Mar 23, 2011 at 5:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

me109k6

New Head-Fier
Greetings:

Every 5-7 years I get the urge to buy a new set of headphones, and right now I am in the market for a set of closed, over the ear cans with decent sound and less than 50 Ohm's of impedence. My budget is $300. Because of the long intervals between purchases, I pretty much have to start my research from scratch each time.

After the initial cuts made from online reviews and printed specs, I auditioned a set of SRH840's at a local music store. They sounded quite nice, but I noticed that they don't fold flat (I travel a lot) and the small wire loops from the cups to headband worried me. It was looking like I would buy the Denon AH-D1100's by default -- until I accidentally stumbled on the SRH940 previews.

Not being satisfied after endless searches and only finding the box spec photo and info released at NAMM, I decided to call Shure and speak directly to the SRH940 Product Manager! He couldn't have been more polite and helpful.

Based on the limited information available, I told him my biggest concern was that the SRH940 was going to be a SRH840 with just a new exterior -- but luckily, that's not the case. I was relieved to hear that the 40mm drivers for the '940 are new. When I asked about the sound of the '940 compared to the '840, the '940 Product Manager said the headphone is intended to have a wider stereo image with better depth, improved accuracy and minimal distortion. The headphones were designed for critical listening and mastering applications, where balance and accuracy is key.

That's what I needed to hear!

At this point, the small things are going to make me pull the trigger on the '940's over the '1100's: detachable single wire cords, velour ear pads with spares and a hard carrying case. Since I probably will not be able to audition them before purchase, any improvement in sound quality over the '840 will be the icing on the cake.

Hope this helps...

Mar 23, 2011 at 5:45 PM Post #2 of 11
There were a lot of things I liked about the SRH840, but there were, of course, a few I didn't... and those were deal-breakers (like the painful fit).
These look great and could be a real contender for the best of the 'near' $300 range. At some point I'll do what I can to hear these.

Mar 23, 2011 at 10:12 PM Post #4 of 11
Probably going to get these, but I doubt they'll be better than the KRK KNS-8400 as a studio monitor, but maybe. It's price is going to hurt, but maybe they sound like a $300 headphone. I have no use for a studio monitor and it's going to be hard to go back to more closed headphones. All these nice open headphones have me spoiled. They look HUGE in the picture. Why on earth do the SRH-840 and SRH-940 need to be so large?!

Maybe it will be better than my DT-880. If it sounds better and is more comfortable then it'll definitely be a keeper. I always loved the SRH-840 and only got rid of it due to comfort. I'm sure that Shure worked on that a bit.

I'm  not looking forward to all the new reviews from people complaining it has less bass than the SRH-840
regular_smile%20.gif

I still don't understand how people can say the SRH-840 is bass light. I hate to see what they say about a completely neutral headphone. Probably that it has NO bass.

Mar 23, 2011 at 10:41 PM Post #5 of 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdockweiler /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I'm  not looking forward to all the new reviews from people complaining it has less bass than the SRH-840
regular_smile%20.gif

It's interesting that some folks have already made speculative comments elsewhere about the '940's, when in fact (according to the Shure PM) they aren't even available for sale yet -- anywhere! If they heard them, it could only be at NAMM.

Apr 11, 2011 at 8:43 PM Post #6 of 11
I called Shure customer service today and asked what the new release date is for the SRH940. The rep said 'sometime in early May'. Apparently that is as specific as it gets for now.

Apr 20, 2011 at 11:54 AM Post #7 of 11
These look like a "next purchase" prospect for me. I'm hoping there will be a Moon Audio Blue/Black Dragon cable available as well
biggrin.gif
. I look forward to comparing these against the Grados that I have.

May 5, 2011 at 2:42 PM Post #8 of 11
Care to call and ask why a couple sellers through ebay, amazon, and one other seller claim they're available while hundreds of other Shure dealers claim they're not?

May 5, 2011 at 5:38 PM Post #9 of 11
I hope that you're not asking me to contact them on your behalf! Give them a call or email them yourself. You're a big boy (or girl), and like most folks here, I'm just a consumer/enthusiast.

May 5, 2011 at 6:46 PM Post #10 of 11

Quote:
I hope that you're not asking me to contact them on your behalf! Give them a call or email them yourself. You're a big boy (or girl), and like most folks here, I'm just a consumer/enthusiast.

Ha! That was the plan until I stumbled upon what I needed to hear here at head-fi.

May 5, 2011 at 6:47 PM Post #11 of 11
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/550563/new-shure-srh-940-to-ship-in-may-not-in-july/15#post_7451449

This being a forum I needed, if you're interested

Users who are viewing this thread

Back