SRH-940 Like Headphones With More Bass?
Feb 7, 2013 at 2:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

HotFieryTech

New Head-Fier
Hey guys, I sold my SRH-940s a while back as I felt that they lacked enough bass for my tastes, but other than that, they were a perfect headphone. Now I'm missing them. 
size]
 Right now I have a pair of UE 6000s and I just returned my M-100s. I feel that neither have any of that sparkle that the SRH-940s had and I just didn't really like the M-100s all that much. Is it too much to ask for a headphone that is like the SRH-940s just with more bass? If such a headphone exists (in the same price range), can you give me any reccomendations?

P.S. I would like it to be closed as it would be used as a portable.

Feb 7, 2013 at 4:53 PM Post #2 of 8
Quote:
Hey guys, I sold my SRH-940s a while back as I felt that they lacked enough bass for my tastes, but other than that, they were a perfect headphone. Now I'm missing them. 
size]
 Right now I have a pair of UE 6000s and I just returned my M-100s. I feel that neither have any of that sparkle that the SRH-940s had and I just didn't really like the M-100s all that much. Is it too much to ask for a headphone that is like the SRH-940s just with more bass? If such a headphone exists (in the same price range), can you give me any reccomendations?

P.S. I would like it to be closed as it would be used as a portable.

Heya,

AudioTechnica A900X

Very best,

Feb 8, 2013 at 1:40 AM Post #4 of 8
If you want more bass you'll have to give up something else..not much.

You can try the SRH-840, but it's mostly extra mid-bass with probably the same bass extension.
There is also the Koss Pro DJ100. I found it better sounding than the SRH-940, but the 940 does have good mids.
The DJ100 has more low bass, mid-bass and less treble. It's bass is very similar to my HD-650, but it has more present low bass (barely).

I would have bought the SRH-940 (it was that good) but I'm too cheap. Maybe when there is a $150 sale on them..which is probably never.

A900X sounds interesting, but some of the graphs I've seen of it scare me away.
I wonder if it's bassier than the M50? I prefer slightly elevated bass. Nothing bass heavy.

Oh yeah, there is also the K240 Studio, but it's not portable.
I've found that mine barely gets loud enough from portable devices. This is based on memory though.

K240 Studio and SRH-840 have nearly identical frequency graphs I think.

Unrelated note.. DT-770 LE has been on my radar, but if it's a bass monster and even more so than the Pro 80, then i'll pass. I was OK with the Pro 80's bass. Kind of. Felt like it had mostly emphasized low bass and not a massive mid-bass hump (which I hate).

Feb 8, 2013 at 12:30 PM Post #6 of 8
Feb 8, 2013 at 2:02 PM Post #7 of 8
How about the K167s? How do those compare to the others mentioned? I say this cause I kinda like aesthetically pleasing headphones 
size]
. Also I have the UE 6000s right now so I want something that sounds better than those and I am willing to spend $350.

Feb 8, 2013 at 3:24 PM Post #8 of 8
Haven't tried those AKGs (and probably never will! :p), but reviews are all over the place. From Tyll's quick overview:

Quote:
Finally got my hands on the AKG Tiesto K167 and K67. With all the hoopla on Head-Fi I was really expecting better. The K167 is okay, but somewhat uneven sounding with an odd sounding bass emphasis and a modestly harsh edge. The K67 is more of the same, but with a pretty big mid-range suckout. Oh well.

Have read others also talk about the "boosted" highs but Tyll also doesn't like "bright" headphones so take his quick impressions with a grain of salt.

Maybe you can look into the Yamaha Pro 500s also?
(I'm thinking of getting the Blue ones myself just for testing...)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back