SR225i with 3.5mm jack?
Oct 6, 2011 at 4:03 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

freddiechina

New Head-Fier
the scariest thing I've ever done was that moment when I got a pair of wire cutters and 'snip', right through my new SR225i cable. Haven't soldered for about 15 years. Proved to be a right pain in the proverbial because of the layout of the jack, but the result is that i now have a usable cable (not hanging all over the place), 3.5mm jack, hooking directly into my iPhone. Now all i need is... 

1) total recable to include an iPhone remote control (shouldn't be that hard to include, should it? [fred said naively...]
2) an amp suitable for my lovely iPhone and grados
3) time to listen to music. 

yay! 

Oct 6, 2011 at 4:25 AM Post #2 of 5
I think 1) and 2) may be mutually exclusive.

The way the iphone remote controls work IIRC is they use what would be an inline mic and send pulses down the mic wire, as your amp expects stereo (and not stereo + mic) the mic will either a) be lost (as it wont go through the amp to the iphone), or b) cause problems with your amp (due to the pins not aligning properly sometimes).

and recabling for 1) would mean you would have to have a special stereo + mic cable and include the extra wire (for the mic) on top of the stereo wires, so you would end up needed to have a new cable from the controls to the jack.

I could be wrong, this is basing off 'iphone controls' I have used before and how I think they work.

I guess the other way of it working could be using the ground, but I see the mic option as being easier.

Either way, goodluck :)

Oct 6, 2011 at 5:01 AM Post #3 of 5
I don't know about the Iphone, but I've used both Symbian (and I think Android too) devices with media buttons on a connected Bluetooth headset. Connect the headset first, then the headphone jack. Music out at the jack, remote controlled at about ten meters. Could be a bug, but I guess it has something to do with picking up calls through a headset while connected to a stereo system.

Another way could be to have the controller in-line before the amp, depending on how that suits you, and if it works without screwing things up.

Oct 6, 2011 at 5:31 AM Post #4 of 5
I think 1) and 2) may be mutually exclusive.

The way the iphone remote controls work IIRC is they use what would be an inline mic and send pulses down the mic wire, as your amp expects stereo (and not stereo + mic) the mic will either a) be lost (as it wont go through the amp to the iphone), or b) cause problems with your amp (due to the pins not aligning properly sometimes).

and recabling for 1) would mean you would have to have a special stereo + mic cable and include the extra wire (for the mic) on top of the stereo wires, so you would end up needed to have a new cable from the controls to the jack.

I could be wrong, this is basing off 'iphone controls' I have used before and how I think they work.

I guess the other way of it working could be using the ground, but I see the mic option as being easier.

Either way, goodluck :)

I'm now invisaging a y-split just before the amp, the remote line coming out with no other connected, direct to iPhone jack port, then the amp connected to the iPhone port.

Oct 6, 2011 at 6:01 AM Post #5 of 5

Quote:
I don't know about the Iphone, but I've used both Symbian (and I think Android too) devices with media buttons on a connected Bluetooth headset. Connect the headset first, then the headphone jack. Music out at the jack, remote controlled at about ten meters. Could be a bug, but I guess it has something to do with picking up calls through a headset while connected to a stereo system.

Another way could be to have the controller in-line before the amp, depending on how that suits you, and if it works without screwing things up.

actually, this is exactly what i want. I've tried out a few bluetooth controllers, with the headphones intended to be plugged into them but instead the headphones plugged directly into the iPhone jack, but to no avail. the phone tries its best to send out all sound to the bluetooth device. 

Is there a standalone bluetooth controller? with no headphone jack? 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back