SR125 vs. SR225i: big improvement, but is it just the drivers?
Aug 17, 2011 at 5:50 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

plastick

Head-Fier
I recently just got my pair of SR-225i from Amazon after ordering them yesterday (those guys are freaks at super fast shipping, holy crap)

First things first: I was originally expecting them to sound worse than my vented and dampened SR125s simply because they aren't broken in, but right out of the box it was immediately apparent that these are better at instrumental separation and high detail.

One of the biggest reliefs for me is the 225i seem to be even brighter than the 125s (the 125s will saw your ears off sometimes, especially if it's compressed music that was recorded poorly) yet at the same time less harsh and shrill. The highs are 3D now instead of 2D.. they aren't injected directly into the ear drum; instead they float around your head as a separate layer on top of the midrange and low end, kind of like how oil separates in water.

I then changed the stock bowl pads out for the flatter pads I had on my 125s. The mid range got a bit scrunched together and the highs aren't as sharp anymore. It seems these cans definitely benefit from spacing the driver from the ear with the bowls a bit. 

I know these aren't even broken in yet, but I'm already loving them.. if anyone is debating whether to upgrade from their 60/80/125s and doesn't want to spend a fortune, the 225i is definitely a good choice. Everyone I talked to here was right.. there is definitely a noticeable difference. The 225 is sooo much better than my 125s at separation. The bass isn't as satisfying as everyone makes it out to be, but it's definitely more rounded while still being just as tight with the way it "pops" (however, again, these aren't broken in yet so I guess I should reserve judgement).

But yeah, just wanted to share with anyone who is considering the 225i. Right out of the box they're an improvement over the SR125 (non-i) and they're just as sharp and detailed up top without being nearly as fatiguing. :D

I love these things!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back